Venting...

If it doesn't fit into one of the sub-forums below, post it here.

Moderators: Erinys, ddub

Venting...

Postby Mecron » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:08 am

Wow I FINALLY can get through to post.

Ok helluva day thanks to a rush of folks and the very awkward timing of a "ready" switch... I posted last night about the condition of the game...granted that was about the actual release version :oops: but for whatever reasons there seems to be a few folks, rightfully or wrong, who are very choked today and looking to lash out.

Well here is the spot for it. I will read every post and I will NOT try to explain or point out anything to you. If you are here to just be annoyed or angry then you probably do NOT want anyone putting things into prespective for you. Especially me. So in this ONE topic I won't...promise.

So say what you will. Make any accusations you want. Declare any theories you are sure must be true and I give you my word I will read each and every one one of them free of any ban hammer behind my back :thumbsup: Whate ever shot you feel like making WILL reach its intended target. If you gotta be unfair to something in order to feel better then I would rather it was me than the game to be comepletely honest. I am not gonna change much but sots2 is already one of the biggest games out there and it has a lot more places to go so I would rather you gave it the chance.

For everyone else, I will continue to answer questions elsewhere whenever I can log in and will keep you updated on the host of things coming up.

Thank you everyone for your patience and your support...regardless of whether you like me right now or not ;)
Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Venting...

Postby Hullucinate » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 am

Get some sleep.
Hullucinate

Postby Agent.nihilist » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:19 am

You guys are machines, AI rebellions happen.
Will the Great wrote:Well, that's probably why you're having a difficult time. Because you made the game more difficult.

Ishantil wrote:BIRD RUSH KEKEKEKEKE

Don't mind me, I'm unreasonably reasonable :twisted:
Agent.nihilist

Postby xp194 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:19 am

You know, honestly the version snafu isn't that big a deal to me. I can wait for it to be sorted. And it still looks, even now, pretty much as awesome as I thought, minus some of the polish. I'm confident that the real deal will be well worth the wait. :)

Oh wait. This is a place for rage, right? Um...

Um... your mother and I are very dissapointed in you? Did I get that right?
xp194

Postby marshb » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:22 am

Just make sure everyone there is looking out for each other. Too much stress. Get some food, some drink, some rest. Everything will work out in the end. :thumbsup:
"The enemy aggressor is always pursuing a course of larceny, murder, rapine and barbarism. We are always moving forward with high mission, a destiny imposed by the Deity to regenerate our victims, while incidentally capturing their markets; to civilize savage and senile and paranoid peoples, while blundering accidentally into their oil wells."

"As We Go Marching" by John T Flynn
marshb

Postby MARINE » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:23 am

well i admire your honesty and willingness to take the rage of angry people upon yourself, i actually started the game and liked it, but there is a bug that freezes my ui when a battle occurs, also it takes a little to move trough the menus :roll: , i hope that was fixed on the final version.

Anyway good game, btw we'll we get bigger ships in the future, (expansions, sots3) :D
MARINE

Postby IntrospectiveSpy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 am

Metaphorical Hugs!

As for the whole mishap, to be honest, I didn't really mind it. An experience is an experience, and I quite enjoyed my little playtest.
Proud member of the Legion of Crazy People!
IntrospectiveSpy

Postby samiran » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:33 am

Mecron,

We love you.

We love SOTS.

We will love SOTS2.

But for some of us . . . Steam kinda sucks. Sure, its a "great" technology. But for whatever reason, things always seem to go wrong. And I would hazard a guess that the 4X community is less tolerant of problems than the MMORPG or FPS community. To be fair, this is a fairly minor thing. However, myself, and some others, have blown through 5-10% of our monthly bandwidth allowance, and we'll have to re-download again.

Perhaps its just having my fingers burned a few times, but anytime a game says "Steam", I say, "Yuk". I was pretty bummed to see that the GamersGate download is working but fubared because of Steam.

That being said, is this some kind of big marketing trick? You know, like keeping the Wii in short supply for a long period of time? Are you intentionally dangling SOTS2 in front of us, and then taking it away? :twisted:

Get some sleep. And some beer. This too shall pass. :D
samiran

Postby DabDarklighter » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:35 am

As a consumer, I am ticked. As someone from a software company, I have seen worse product go out the door.

Having played the original SotS since before BoB, I know that Kerberos will work hard to ensure that this issue is fixed.

Waiting patiently.
DabDarklighter

Postby Adantehand » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:36 am

Hey, this isn't my first game release. If the biggest hiccup is steam uploading the beta version, which will be patched within the same day, then I think this turned out much better than most game launches I've been a part of. So, no worries here, I've been waiting months for an awesome game, a few more hours isn't going to kill me.

Get some coffee, maybe a nice sammich, and curl up in bed. Sleep well Mecron.
Adantehand

Postby Weasel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:38 am

Not really angry, more like mildly irritated :? I stayed up late hoping for a early morning release, but when that didn't happen, got some sleep so I could play later. Then spent about 2 odd hours downloading the game twice, once from GG and once from Steam, only to get a game that, frankly, didn't seem put together that well. BUT! I remember way back when SotS Prime first launched, and how several UI and gameplay things we take for granted now just weren't there at first, and then I finally got the forums to come up and saw there was a Fubar with a beta version getting released instead, which explains alot. So i'm sorta disappointed I didn't get to spend my afternoon playing, but I know it'll be fixed, and i'm fairly certain it'll all be worth it about 2 patches down the line :D

That said, I do have one question. I think it was stated somewhere earlier that while Steam was handling the download and update support for SotS II, having Steam running wasn't required to play the game. Currently though even with Steam closed it will open it back up and reconnect it when the game boots up. Is that because it's a beta version, or did something change?

Rock on Mecron.
Holy jumping weasel fritters on a hot cross bun!! Look at that!
Weasel

Postby ManOWar » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:42 am

I also am of the mind it's really not that big a deal. I hope whomever is to blame doesn't take the venting too harshly. Coming from someone who also tries to put all my effort into projects that span years, it can be disheartening when things don't go perfect but everyone is human and mistakes happen. I for one am still excited to try out the updated version. For now, just checking out the details of the ships in-game helps pass the time. The shadow of the Zuul commander inside the bridge of the command ship is just awesome :thumbsup:
ManOWar

Postby MS_Cowboy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:45 am

I have to say I'm impressed it only took two weeks to turn what I got through steam into something you could call a release version. Must have been a lot of hard work.

To vent I'd rather go through some of the things I liked and think are well done. It should be no surprise I like the ships and the graphics, but videos could never do it justice. I like the way close and distant ships go out of focus, and all those beautiful new weapon effects, even if I can only see them in the designer. I like how bloom is used for UI elements. The rings around systems on mouse-over and selection in particular are noteworthy. I spent a good deal of time just moving the mouse from system to system to watch that blue ring pop up. As for the ship textures... Well, I have to admit you were right. They don't look like plastic. They look like the die-cast stainless steel toy planes I had as a kid. But I honestly don't think that is going to detract from the experience.

The budget management is amazing. Though I have no idea what most of it does, it looks like there are going to be some great features and great control over them that I look forward to sinking my teeth into. I like the look of the tech tree, and the few new techs I managed to see have left me thoroughly excited to try them out and find more hidden up the tree.

Most of all I want to personally thank you for making a game that runs... surprisingly well. Not in terms of stability, obviously. My system is by all rights borderline on minimum specs and I had no small amount of trepidation about that fact leading up to release, but I wouldn't know it to look at the game. I'll probably feel it when I can get large fleets battling each other... but with the majority of the game running perfectly, I can deal with that.

There are a lot of angry people about who, by virtue of being paying customers, feel entitled to living in a world where accidents don't happen and everything goes off perfectly. Don't let them get you down :thumbsup:
MS_Cowboy

Postby satthukaraoke » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:50 am

Ok Mecron, because it seems you're literally asking for it so I'll be obliged and give it to you: I saw a lot of fire on a lot of arse, and they all are make some mighty fine arses. Didn't I tell you it would be fun? :bangdesk:

That's aside there are a lot of impressive ... things happening today on both direction. But wherever the fault lie I'm impressed that the Kers hold to their guns and keep at it ... just to clarify, it IS a voluntary right, not because you're holding a gun standing at the office with an ultimatum? Not to encourage you or anything but I'll be getting all of your product in the future when they're available. As for whether I want to shoot you guys or not ... probably, with a lethal injection of caffeine and energy drink :mrgreen:

In any case it has been a very entertaining days for me, maybe I'm just a bit of both a sadistic and a masochist. The game is incredible even in its present state (manage to play some 50 turns) and I love every part of it so I think once you can get a stable version up, take a rest. I know you guys schedule for an update tomorrow and monday but don't push it too hard. Ganbatte - ne? :thumbsup:
satthukaraoke

Postby tinichu » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:54 am

Wut? Steam loaded a beta version? Wut? Well, already in love with the buggy graphic and music, menu is perfect as a background while reading the Deacon'sTale. More time to read the book, yeah!

Voila, I vented...

Best
Katy
tinichu

Next

Return to SotS2 General Discussion