Warlock: Master of the Arcane

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Postby The Apprentice » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:58 am

[Didn't see a post about this title yet]
It's another paradox published game, made by a studio called Ino-Co Plus (why the plus?). A rough description would be Master of Magic (old dos game) blended with Civ 5. City based, with spells that must be researched, other dimensions accessible through portals, gods, neutral monsters, and a huge amount of units. Only 3 playable races at this time.

Here is a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzKjOkEqpXs
And a lengthy wtf is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4 ... op&list=SL

It is being pre-sold for $20 through steam (and presumably other digital distributors). It is set to release on May 8th. Between this and Masters of the Broken World, potentially Elemental: Fallen Enhantress being good... AND SotS ][ nearing the All-Clear... strat gaming looks like it has a bunch of fun options upcoming.

I'm not looking to pre-order Warlock, but definitely following with interest. Has anyone got a chance to play it or seen it in other places?
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.
The Apprentice

Re: Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Postby Eleahen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:48 am

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Postby Muchoman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:27 am

I thought Age of Wonders was the spiritual successor to MoM.
Muchoman

Postby motorbit » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:45 am

if it only had an ai capable of founding cities and stuff, it where.
motorbit

Postby Muchoman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 pm

watched the WTF video, looks very promising. Thanks for the headsup :thumbsup:
Muchoman

Postby Cpt. Awesome » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Been keeping an eye out for this game since the first announcement. So excited to see how it turns out; having them learn from civ5 gives me great hope!

Elemental Falen Enchantress isnt' quite doing it for me. The game the devs are making isn't quite the game i was hoping to play :( C'est la vie.
Cpt. Awesome

Postby The Apprentice » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:05 am

And now there is a 50 turn demo available through Steam! Rather convenient.

Edit: Having to choose between a button that says "Safe Mode" and a button that says "Warlock: Master of the Arcane Demo" at start is NOT reassuring. A safe mode for a demo?
The Apprentice

*cough*

Postby silvaril » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:40 am

Heya

The Apprentice wrote:Edit: Having to choose between a button that says "Safe Mode" and a button that says "Warlock: Master of the Arcane Demo" at start is NOT reassuring. A safe mode for a demo?

Sounds like sanity to me. :)

It is possible to infer from that option that the Dev's are using the Demo as a first contact hair trigger for any graphical et al issues beyond what they have been able to test for themselves...

So yeah, sanity. ;)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)
silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Location: (Deleted by (Deleted by (Deleted by ***ERROR: Recursion Detected***

*cough* *cough cough*

Postby The Apprentice » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:53 am

A safe mode for the DEMO of an entertainment product*?! At least call it something else, like like "Low Graphics Mode" or "Legacy Driver Support"- something that I don't associate with my computer crashing.

Anyway, non-safe mode took a while to load but the game was interesting. I didn't see a manual link anywhere, so there were lots of combat system interactions I was unable to investigate. Also, that voice actor is like a Sean Connery Overdose.

*= Or art, whatever floats your boat.
The Apprentice

Postby S0ny B1ack » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:34 pm

I have to say i really like the DEMO, i had great fun dunring those 50 turns, but sadly my budget currently doesn't allow me the preorder (despite the relativey cheap price), but when i either get some spare money or when the game gets into a sale i'll definatly buy it ;)
S0ny B1ack

Postby SpearWielder » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:45 am

Demo was fun.
Though no prepurchase for me.
Never ever. Personal rule.
Looks fun but not so great. Pretty shalow.
Fantasy version of Civ 5. More war oriented.
Exploration rather plain. One unit per hex no armies(like in MoM) simplistic city development.
Some annyoing points like no hold this hex forever(need to order them to gaurd it for each turn).
But overall not bad.
Sarissofoi 4ever. Here is your friendly sociopath.
General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord in Truppenführung, 1933: "I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!"
SpearWielder

Postby fibio » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 am

Actually there is a sentry button hidden in the fold out menu that allows for a permanent guard. The tutorial is a little bare bones however leaving a lot of mechanics unexplained. I hope there's going to be a good sized manual on release but otherwise I'm really looking forward to this.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?
fibio

Postby SpearWielder » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:59 pm

I was ready to make some You dont say or Orly? joke but meh.
Sentry unit become awake when enmy units come near. But sometimes you want just park unit somewhere and dont wanna bother. Ever never forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4GF8
Infamous Total Biscouts and his 5cents on this game.

Anyway this game looks more interesting that Fallen Enchantress.
For plus there is no rulers wandering and getting killed on the map which is just great.
There is no heroes which is not great.
Anyway game is similar to Fantasy Wars(or even Fantasy genereal) but with economy and diplomacy.
Not bad.
Sarissofoi 4ever. Here is your friendly sociopath.
General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord in Truppenführung, 1933: "I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!"
SpearWielder

Postby The Apprentice » Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Picked it up today. I'm having fun with it. Though the manual I got with the game has random cryllic characters and lots of images with "WORK IN PROGRESS" splashed across them. Hopefully the manual will be updated soon. Again, fun!

Edit: There is a separate Beginners Manual on the paradox forums that explains many of the things a manual normally would.
Last edited by The Apprentice on Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Apprentice

Postby motorbit » Wed May 09, 2012 12:11 am

oh, its released. and its from these majesty guys.
motorbit

Next

Return to Misc.