Twilight Mod (Tarka Only Alpha)

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.

Re: Twilight Mod

Postby R2dical » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:12 am

Drumroll please....

BETA RELEASE!

Yes I am excited, this has been in development for a looong time and I actually never thought I would release it. Thanks very much to Okim for allowing me to use his ACM stuff as the basis and inspiration.

So take a look, poke around and kick the tires, this is very much still a beta and alot of work needs to be done to polish this to the point of even a full Tarka Only stable mod. This initial version is mainly for players who would like to help me with this process as given the scope of the content it would take me a looong time to track all the bugs myself. I you would be upset/angry at a crash/game breaking bug on turn 450 (who wouldn't :lol: ) then maybe avoid these first few versions.

So for those who would like to help, I will post a detailed description of what and how soon, but for now take a look and enjoy what there is so far. I have put a lot of testing into making sure at least the fission/destroyer era is bug free. For now, the relevant issues with this beta are:

:arrow: Tarkas ONLY, having any other race in game setup WILL crash your game.
:arrow: Missing effects, for higher tier weapons. You will see a white circle where the effect is supposed to be.
:arrow: Disabled tech trees and parts of trees. These are the race specific weapons for the other races.
:arrow: Disabled weapons, due to the above.
:arrow: Leviathan model is an old one. The proper one is WIP. EDIT: New one is in with update :)
:arrow: Many weapons have been tested minimally and may not/probably won't work perfectly yet.
:arrow: NPC weapons still use standard effects and icons.
:arrow: Many bugs and other stuff I haven't seen yet.

Finally, this IS a grand campaign mod, designed for LONG games (the star count max has been upped to 650 to provide this) and as such the research has also been extended. But for the purposes of beta testing some might want to reduce the time investment into a possibly doomed game. To help I attached modified versions of the tech file with reduced costs.
AltTechFiles.7z (EDIT: Removed - See EDIT note below for an alternative option.)

EDIT: Downloads removed, mod updated in a future post.

Note:
I recommend you use my skybox mod also for its graphic updates component. I will be releasing a new version of this soon also. Twilight mod gets mounted first.

EDIT:

For those who would like to play with greatly modified research costs, I suggest SavageV's save editor, and change the research scale on a turn 1 save (higher = faster research).
Last edited by R2dical on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 12 times in total.
R2dical

Postby BlueTemplar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Woot! Now, the only thing missing for me is the free time to try it out... :(
:============="Now get the hell out of our galaxy!"=============:
---------------->The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.2 for SotS1<--------------------
BlueTemplar

Postby Torezu » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Shineh! I'll see what I can do with the 2 or fewer hours of free time I get a day. The Pit has caught me in OMF (One More Floor) Syndrome several times in the last couple weeks...
Torezu

Postby R2dical » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Any input would be welcome and appreciated :)

I came across a number of bugs which crept in to the final build :( including a nasty AI + weapon related CTD. This patch fixed what I found so far hopefully the CTD also, I need to start a new test game to be sure. This patch will also require a new game to fix the bug :oops: Just copy the files inside over the mod files.

If anyone gets the same CTD after the patch please post, it would happen when the AI attacks your colony with a dedicated fleet with certain weapons (cannons, blasters, missiles, bombs and cannon + missile PD).

EDIT: Patch removed as problem still persists. Fix on the way.
Last edited by R2dical on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R2dical

Postby Torezu » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:26 pm

If that was supposed to be a link, it's not.
Torezu

Postby R2dical » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Yeah sorry, I just ran into the same CTD again. I think I found the problem though, an issue with the bomb weapons. I'll fix the link with the new patch when I solve it ;)

EDIT: Hmm, looks like there is no easy fix, the "turretclass missilerider" I just switched to for bombs seems to have some unexpected hardcoded AI behaviour once their ships target a colony. I'm going to have to shuffle some mount types around to make this work right.
R2dical

Postby SpardaSon21 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Well, my initial foray into Blender is proving completely fruitless. Then again, Blender is not known for an intuitive user interface. How easily could I convert a ship file from SolidWorks (a CAD program) to something usable in-game? I've done some basic work in SolidWorks (or a lot more than I have in Blender in other words :lol:) so I could probably whip up something decent in that pretty quickly once I get used to the interface again.
SpardaSon21

Postby Torezu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:00 am

I'm not sure what file or data formats the game uses, or I could help you more. SolidWorks can export in many different file formats, but I'm not sure how suited to polygon models it is.
Torezu

Postby SpardaSon21 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:48 am

Yeah, I know CAD and polygon modeling programs use completely different formats, so I know there's not much chance.
SpardaSon21

Postby ForesterSOF » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:34 am

Seeing this MOD makes me thing of what the Balance Mod did for Space Empires V.
Ambition helps to drive inovation.
ForesterSOF

Postby R2dical » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Ok great news! I not only solved the CTD issue to satisfaction but also learned a cool bit of info about the tactical AI. The result being a more competitive tactical opponent customised to use the new weapons. In this case the AI ships will head for a colony if they carry any weapons designed for glassing and prioritise to do so quite competently. Also this CTD bug is brand new, never seen it in all my time modding and its not mentioned on the forums (Murphy's law in action here, as soon as I release the mod it gets something like that :lol: ).

Also a few other bugs, mostly graphical, and also the patch is save compatible! Link in the Beta announcement post.

SpardaSon21 wrote:Blender is not known for an intuitive user interface.
Yeah thats Blender for you, however if you plan on doing more than just a few models I'd say its worth the few hours effort required to get comfortable with the GUI, tutorial vids specifically for this are the best IMO. If you have a grasp of 3D model concepts you will catch on quick.

SpardaSon21 wrote:Yeah, I know CAD and polygon modeling programs use completely different formats, so I know there's not much chance.
A quick google says that SolidWorks exports in many different formats. .dxf caught my eye, as it is quite a prolific format and Blender should be able to import it faithfully, or have a plugin. I know Max does and I can convert to .obj for you if you don't come right.

Geometry is geometry, once you get it in Blender you can export into .x for SOTS fairly easily. We had a detailed discussion a while back about this, Lord Primus would be the best to ask. You would then need to follow all the usual SOTS requirements for the model to work, vertex paint, co-ord system, dummies, etc. You will probably also have to texture (not actually required for SOTS, but looks nice), aside from actually making the geometry this takes the longest. You will need Blender to do this most likely.

Good luck!

ForesterSOF wrote:Seeing this MOD makes me thing of what the Balance Mod did for Space Empires V.
Ambition helps to drive inovation.
Thanks ;)
R2dical

Postby Torezu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm

If either of you have a good idea of what you need for ship models, or have some examples I could follow, I could probably work up a few small ones for you to try out - I have SW 2010 at the moment.
Torezu

Postby balti knights » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Great news R2 I all try to give this a spin over the weekend and get you some feedback.
Sparda blender is very simple to use once you've got your head around the GUI. There are a couple of important hoops you'll have to jump through if you want to make models that work with the command/mission/engine system. Single section ships are very easy to drop into sots though. I would recommend you use 2.49b it imports with very little trouble. I have a interesting blend file containing all the Jupiter incident models (alas no textures..it was homegrown).... could be a good place to start your journey.. let me know if you want it and I'll get it over to you
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti
balti knights

Postby SpardaSon21 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:14 pm

I'd like that .blend file a lot, thank you.
SpardaSon21

Postby serhof » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:32 pm

great work R2dical ,some close detail are really awesome
serhof

PreviousNext

Return to Modding