Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by ZedF » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 am

Mecron wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:08 pm
It is...for 2005.

As for engines, given the modern world we would probably go with a heavily modified Unreal engine base.
This was specifically in reference to a SotS 1 HD remake.

And yes, heavily modifying UE4 is still faster than building your own engine from scratch, regardless of how they've done things previously.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:12 am

ZedF wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 am
Mecron wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:08 pm
It is...for 2005.

As for engines, given the modern world we would probably go with a heavily modified Unreal engine base.
This was specifically in reference to a SotS 1 HD remake.

And yes, heavily modifying UE4 is still faster than building your own engine from scratch, regardless of how they've done things previously.
You're right, sorry that I seem to have remembered that wrong. Although I still seem to recall a time where an in-house engine was given as an answer to a similar question.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 am

you do realize how much has changed in terms of engine tech in the past 10 years, right? ;)

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am

No argument there. Unity has become massively popular for sure along with the Unreal engine. I just didn't think UE4 would be the answer to your space 4x needs. I'm behind anything that makes it easier for you guys so feel free to make something Unreal!

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Slashman wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am
... I just didn't think UE4 would be the answer to your space 4x needs...
Ive "rummaged around" in UE4 from the moment it was available, and from what I can tell it is not limited in a way that would exclude it from being an answer to any 4X development needs.(NOTE: I am speaking as a complete amateur here, so grain of salt)
Slashman wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:01 am
... So I'm not sure what knowledge would be passed on from an UE4 FPS that would make an impact on a SotS 4x.
Probably how core Engine systems are setup.
Like how actors move, how effects are registered, how networking works, dealing with the garbage collection system, ect...
Ive only just figured out how expensive moving actors with large parent/child chains of "attached" components are, and how to work around it so as to improve performance.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:21 pm

erdrik wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:01 pm
Probably how core Engine systems are setup.
Like how actors move, how effects are registered, how networking works, dealing with the garbage collection system, ect...
Ive only just figured out how expensive moving actors with large parent/child chains of "attached" components are, and how to work around it so as to improve performance.
Is that what Battlefleet Gothic is using?

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:44 am

Slashman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:21 pm
Is that what Battlefleet Gothic is using?
The UE4 engine?
Their website says it is powered by Unreal Technology, so I guess yes?

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:21 am

Mecron wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 am
you do realize how much has changed in terms of engine tech in the past 10 years, right? ;)
No. Now shut up and take my money. :awesome:

Meant no disrespect, such is the meme. :angel:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:25 pm

lol :twisted:

GantradiseDracos

Post by GantradiseDracos » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 am

for what its worth, if this DID end up happening, id snap it up in a heartbeat, and start ranting and raving at all my gaming buddies about it,dispite..erm.. disatification with how sots 2 turned out >.<

err, if we're still talking Theoreticals, could i suggest an ingame mod/ruleset option/feature?
the idea being, for the purists/people who -just- want prime running in a newer/x64 engine, you could default it to that,or have a choice of a streamlined/updated... *gestures vaguely, not unlike Jack sparrow after a little too much rum/time without human contact*

in all honestly, for a base/framework, id be TOTALLY fine with remodels/textures in a engine capable of using more than 2/3 gigs of ram.
maybe some ui tweaks (the ability to mass-scuttle/order the replacement of sats empire wide'd save quiite a bit of time over a long camp), and the ability to refit stations like in 2.
really the memory stuff alone'd make me willing to pay out again, given how often ive been giving MARS an aneurysm with some of my fleets this week @_@

*ps* godammit, id managed to FORGET mispelling my username when i registered T_T
My forum name is a grammer flubb. it should read Gantradies Dracos.
ME: ok, ive been listening to you guys for the last 3 minutes. question: what is the difference between a stack overflow and underflow anyway? Adam: (one of my high-skool budds) *beat*ok.Imagine you have a cat. If you were to feed the cat so much food that it explodes, that's a stack overflow. A stack underflow is where you try to take food out of the cat, and keep taking food out, until you take the cat out of itself.

Ebondragon

Post by Ebondragon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi there, it's been a while since I last perused these boards and I'm sorry if some of the things I'm about to mention have already been said, but I figured I should add my thoughts to the list of things to discuss.

I would gladly snap up an updated/Remastered SotS1 if for no other reason than to support Kerberos until such time as what I really hope for (A SotS3 that picks up right where SotS2 would have with the next expansion) happens. Although I know that given your resource constraints right now that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

That said my two biggest suggestions are this:

1) The diplomacy system/UI needs some additional thought. On more than one instance I found that I'd build an alliance defeat every other player on the map save for one that my alliance was friendly towards and then be stuck. Simply because I couldn't get my allies to let the friendly race into the club. Every turn one race would propose letting them join and then every other race except one would vote yes to allow it. The sole No vote torpedoing everything and worst of all the one doing that would rotate around round-robin style between all the AI players. I'd really like to see more options to sweeten the deal for AI players and such to help flesh things out more and give me more ways to make things that I want to happen occur.

2) Generally I think the UI and specifically the color schemes need to get a good look. And the reason I say this is that I know it's a negative to the audience that might be interested in your game. I admit the color scheme struck me as a little on the garish side when I first tried the game at the behest of a friend and I had to work to overcome that first impression to find the really amazing game inside that I'd later sink hundreds of hours into. And I also know of several of my personal friends whom I'd thought would love the game based upon the other titles they enjoy decide to not play the game simply because they hated that initial impression.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and the amazing games I've enjoyed!

--Ebondragon

WolfenDragoon

Post by WolfenDragoon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:19 pm

I do not know how I managed to miss this thread for so long, but I (and my entire gaming group of about 15 players) would all buy a sots HD remaster in a heartbeat (or for that matter, just about anything related to sots 4x).

edit: as far as changes made, while we would love to see some of the features of sots 2 make it into the hd remaster (such as the fleet system, which is popular in my group), we would all be down to buy an hd version of the original game without any changes.
Fear not the darkness

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:25 am

WolfenDragoon wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:19 pm
I do not know how I managed to miss this thread for so long, but I (and my entire gaming group of about 15 players) would all buy a sots HD remaster in a heartbeat (or for that matter, just about anything related to sots 4x).

edit: as far as changes made, while we would love to see some of the features of sots 2 make it into the hd remaster (such as the fleet system, which is popular in my group), we would all be down to buy an hd version of the original game without any changes.
So say we all!

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Why not just give it some HD textures and skyspheres etc. and maybe re-tweek the models. Cheap and cheerful, job done!
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:52 pm

I am assuming that was comedy?

Return to “SotS”