Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by ZedF » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Either that or gross ignorance of the business of game development ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 pm

;)
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

THIEFs

Post by THIEFs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:13 am

I vote for keeping the core of Sots1 as true to the original as possible... Meaning, keep the same pace, optimize/streamline micromanageent as much as possible(Trade) to keep the mind on the grand strategy and dynamic adaptation to the changing situation... SOTS1 was an exceptional game in this regard. No one has done it so well so far.

* Keep SOTS1 style tech tree.. With probabilities that some techs are unresearchable and ony salvagable.. And keeping the interlocking research parths, which allow you to research some techs via another branch if your first try failed. I know that some players have complained about it.. But this was a cool feaure, which made the game different each time you played... And forces both Player and AI scientists to research only what they are good at. (the Modding community can take care of making all techs researchable)

* I’d preffer instant abstracted autoresolves ( to keep the game pace reasonable).. Nobody wants to wait for 2 minutes while 6 other Ais are fighting out their battles in AI vs AI simulations. This is why in SOTS1 in on evening you could experience fantastic turns of history.. And already reach your WW3.. while durign the same gaming hours in SOTS2 you would still be in early nano-mangement, skirmished and not even WW1 takign place.

* I would preffer keeping UI as is... Love the comicbook style UI and general styling. Rebuild all ship models & textures & Effects in much higher poly count and higher resolution.. Targeting Dx11/Dx12 capabilities.
* Keep ship designign UI & battle system as in PrimeKeep ship battles in 2D (3D positioning is pointless tinkering, and only adds unneccessay complexity to managing large fleet battles in the middle of fight).. Sots1 was great that it allowed time to do module targeting, whereas Sots2 kept so bussy and ships died fairly quickly, that this cool teactical part had no room for it)no need for super detailed ship internals, if it does not really give valuabel feedback to player and if it does not require player to change some strategies... Nornaly, if you are loosing intenrals (in Sots2), this means armmor is gone and ship is to go poof very quickly anyways.

* Keep the notes, add note varienty styling (this part was missing so much in SOTS2)

* Stick with 1. Planet per system. Multiple planets do not add anything to the grand experience and simply adds pointless nanomanagement or simply an extra auto-resolve. Even if there are 2 planets in system and you have to invade/destroy both in one or two seperate battle instances, the first fight as you enter the system (fight between both huge fleets) already detemines the outcome of the system. Therefore the fight for 2nd planet would be nothing more than mere boring autoresolve / insignificant skirmish. Besides it would simply add unnecessary clutter to the UI.. A simple alternative is simply making size 16 planet sysem.... to simulate system with size 10 and size 6 planets.

If you want more planets to counquer, simply play more stars.. No point in sticking bunch ow planets in one spot near one star... Remeber. Its not a RL simulation.. Its a game.. 

* Streamline trade, by minimizing number of clicks necessary for building up trade. Make trade-ships simply auto-populate the sector as you build them up on the planet up to the cap. Or alternatively make freighters tied to particular planet and number of max ships to be equal to number of tradelines of the planet.
As for the curent trade screen with green sector boxes.. Use those trade sectors only for sending in protection force or your personal pirate force. When you are not at war, you can use piracy to do a «proxy war» against particlular neighbor... When I’m not at War, I would probably keep ½ of my fleet in sectors as police or pirate my eighbors... And only in case of attack, I would bring them back fromt he trade sectors to join the main fleet.
If you manage to board and capture pirate ship, add probability that the originating nation/party is revealed which would damage their diplomatic relations with other nations (hgher penalty if you are pirating your ally, very minimal penalty if pirating someone who is already sidliked by others.

* To minimize the annoying insignificant mini battles with random pirates (it gets annoying and tedious later in the game) ... Limit them to pop-up only at the rim-worlds.. At the outer edges, and not in the core of empire. Afterall, they are there just for the flavor and temporary placeholder untill empires start doing reall pirating.

* Von Neuman becomes too much of a chore and lots of wast of time to go in manualy killing off the tiny drone only in order to prevent the big guys coming after you. Perhaps in the Von Neuman case, after first attack on colony, allow Von Newman research in tech tree.. And once it has been researched and player would be able to choose autoresolve policy for VanNueman (kill off only drones vs kill it all). Killing it all should give some kind of benefit, e.g. Industry bonus or something... But at a cost that you will get tougher visitors later

* Can you please do it all in 64bit only. If you stay with 32bit, Large Address Aware compile pretty please?
32bit windows usage is fairly low nowadays among gamers (we all love lots of RAM)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/265 ... orm-steam/

* Change excutable from mars.exe to something else, because on platforms with Nvidia graphics cards (with Optimus switching technology on most gaming laptops), the drivers will default to using integrated Intel graphics. This is because drivers already contained profile for some older low performance game before SOTS1 was released). This is likely cause why some youtubers install and launch the decade old game and get poor framerates. Please simply check executable name and make sure it is not already used by some other game in Nvidia drivers.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:11 pm

THIEFs wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:13 am
I vote for keeping the core of Sots1 as true to the original as possible... Meaning, keep the same pace, optimize/streamline micromanageent as much as possible(Trade) to keep the mind on the grand strategy and dynamic adaptation to the changing situation... SOTS1 was an exceptional game in this regard. No one has done it so well so far.

* Keep SOTS1 style tech tree.. With probabilities that some techs are unresearchable and ony salvagable.. And keeping the interlocking research parths, which allow you to research some techs via another branch if your first try failed. I know that some players have complained about it.. But this was a cool feaure, which made the game different each time you played... And forces both Player and AI scientists to research only what they are good at. (the Modding community can take care of making all techs researchable)
Agreed. Its just the waste of time that having to study the feasibility of a tech which can get irritating.
THIEFs wrote:
* I’d preffer instant abstracted autoresolves ( to keep the game pace reasonable).. Nobody wants to wait for 2 minutes while 6 other Ais are fighting out their battles in AI vs AI simulations. This is why in SOTS1 in on evening you could experience fantastic turns of history.. And already reach your WW3.. while durign the same gaming hours in SOTS2 you would still be in early nano-mangement, skirmished and not even WW1 takign place.
Alter the CommonAssets file's entry called LargeCombatThreshold to a higher number (PH has it at 100). This stops all AI vs AI encounters being fought in mostly real time apart from the Grand Menaces. You can also use the + and - button to speed up time if realtime is the only option.
THIEFs wrote:
* I would preffer keeping UI as is... Love the comicbook style UI and general styling. Rebuild all ship models & textures & Effects in much higher poly count and higher resolution.. Targeting Dx11/Dx12 capabilities.
That's what a HD upgrade typically does. :D
THIEFs wrote:
* Keep ship designign UI & battle system as in PrimeKeep ship battles in 2D (3D positioning is pointless tinkering, and only adds unneccessay complexity to managing large fleet battles in the middle of fight).. Sots1 was great that it allowed time to do module targeting, whereas Sots2 kept so bussy and ships died fairly quickly, that this cool teactical part had no room for it)no need for super detailed ship internals, if it does not really give valuabel feedback to player and if it does not require player to change some strategies... Nornaly, if you are loosing intenrals (in Sots2), this means armmor is gone and ship is to go poof very quickly anyways.
Respectfully, I disgree with keeping ships on a mostly 2D plane. A universe of choices shouldn't have movement restrictions especially since SOTS's primary strength lies in its combat. As for the armor element, can't say anything on that as I honestly don't know what the SOTS2 style brings to the table over the SOTS1 version anymore.
THIEFs wrote:
* Keep the notes, add note varienty styling (this part was missing so much in SOTS2)
Trvia: did you know that there was plans to have the encyclopedia have notes from other players in SOTS2? That's what the Marginalia area is.
THIEFs wrote:
* Streamline trade, by minimizing number of clicks necessary for building up trade. Make trade-ships simply auto-populate the sector as you build them up on the planet up to the cap. Or alternatively make freighters tied to particular planet and number of max ships to be equal to number of tradelines of the planet.
As for the curent trade screen with green sector boxes.. Use those trade sectors only for sending in protection force or your personal pirate force. When you are not at war, you can use piracy to do a «proxy war» against particlular neighbor... When I’m not at War, I would probably keep ½ of my fleet in sectors as police or pirate my eighbors... And only in case of attack, I would bring them back fromt he trade sectors to join the main fleet.
If you manage to board and capture pirate ship, add probability that the originating nation/party is revealed which would damage their diplomatic relations with other nations (hgher penalty if you are pirating your ally, very minimal penalty if pirating someone who is already sidliked by others.
Personal opinion - Automate trade entirely. Have a screen in the finance area dedicated to controlling it and everything else the game does for you.
THIEFs wrote:
* To minimize the annoying insignificant mini battles with random pirates (it gets annoying and tedious later in the game) ... Limit them to pop-up only at the rim-worlds.. At the outer edges, and not in the core of empire. Afterall, they are there just for the flavor and temporary placeholder untill empires start doing reall pirating.
Don't remember how they operate in SOTS1, but in SOTS2 Pirates only show up with any regularity if you are within 10LY of a Zuul player\AI, a Pirate base or you've skimped on having a Naval Station with your Civilian stations and didn't have at least 2\3 police ships per system.
THIEFs wrote:
* Von Neuman becomes too much of a chore and lots of wast of time to go in manualy killing off the tiny drone only in order to prevent the big guys coming after you. Perhaps in the Von Neuman case, after first attack on colony, allow Von Newman research in tech tree.. And once it has been researched and player would be able to choose autoresolve policy for VanNueman (kill off only drones vs kill it all). Killing it all should give some kind of benefit, e.g. Industry bonus or something... But at a cost that you will get tougher visitors later
An auto-resolve policy for Randoms could be interesting, but I'd personally have it so you have to actually research a past encounter with said random before the auto-resolve can properly counter it.
THIEFs wrote:
* Can you please do it all in 64bit only. If you stay with 32bit, Large Address Aware compile pretty please?
32bit windows usage is fairly low nowadays among gamers (we all love lots of RAM)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/265 ... orm-steam/
They are 'apparently' using the Unreal Engine if this project exists at all, so that should be pretty much a given.
THIEFs wrote:
* Change excutable from mars.exe to something else, because on platforms with Nvidia graphics cards (with Optimus switching technology on most gaming laptops), the drivers will default to using integrated Intel graphics. This is because drivers already contained profile for some older low performance game before SOTS1 was released). This is likely cause why some youtubers install and launch the decade old game and get poor framerates. Please simply check executable name and make sure it is not already used by some other game in Nvidia drivers.
Mars2 is the engine for SOTS2, and I think Mars1 was for SOTS1. They are not using their own engine anymore so the problems with the executable won't occur.
Sword of the Stars 2 - Project Hiver modder - work in progress.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Return to “SotS”