Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Slashman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Until we see something apart from vague hints, I'm leaving it as an "if" in my book. I doubt we will see The Pit 2 and the The Pit Shooter announced and released in the same year. And I highly doubt there will be no DLC if those games do well.

With crowd sourcing being more iffy than ever for Kerberos, those games will need to do well to fund SOTSHD (unless they have secured alternate funding...which would be great!). I just don't see us getting the official announcement anytime soon. 4 years seems pretty logical.

If I somehow end up with millions in disposable income, I'll gladly front the cash to push SOTSHD to the front of the line, but that's a faint dream at this point.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm just wondering and have been for a long time... how come Zed has such insight into Kerbs biz. Or am I missing something..

I think I'm in the 'if' camp to..
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Pretty simple, I listen to the podcast and I pay attention to the various teasers & hints that Mec/Kerb lay out there. I also got a chance to talk with Mec relatively recently but I’m not about to discuss things in any detail that he hasn’t talked about publicly up to this point.

Slashman, I think part of the problem is ‘official announcement’ is kinda vague. Do you mean strong hints from Kerb that SotS HD is in development? A kickstarter page going up? Release day? I’m more ready to believe that we’ll at least see strong hints of SotS HD by 2022 than that the game will release by then.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:00 pm

I'm talking about an official announcement that the game is a go for development past the brainstorming phase. I have not put development time into my calculations because I don't know how long that will take. But for anybody expecting a "soon" of any kind wrt SOTSHD, I suggest they firmly clamp their enthusiasm, and to be safe, keep it in the "if" box until we get a proper announcement.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:29 pm

I don’t think I have ever seen an official ‘we are go for development’ announcement from Kerb since they have gone indie — for good reason. The kickstarter for any given game is what I view as the first official statement, but it happens when development is well underway, not at the start of development. But that does not mean we have no idea when games are in production, as Kerb drops hints and teasers to demonstrate as much when they are.

I would agree that ‘soon’ (as defined by prior to 2022) is unlikely for SotS HD — I expect it to perhaps begin development in that timeframe but by no means be complete.

As far as whether SotS HD is a ‘if’ or a ‘when’, I guess since those terms are extremely nebulous and you don’t seem interested in accepting my proposed definition, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 pm

It's a 'when' in my book, not an if. Kerb isn't going to abandon a labor of love. Doesn't mean it'll be the first off the production line though, there's quite a few other things they had planned which could use the financial boost from the Pit 2's release.

And as far as I'm concerned, the longer they take, the more experience they'll have with the Unreal engine. Getting a game as complex as even SOTS1 to work properly in UE isn't an easy task by any stretch of the imagination.

Granted, I'd love to see some remastered pictures of what the Liirian vessels would look like rendered in the Unreal engine. :love:
Sword of the Stars 2 - Project Hiver modder - work in progress.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Darkemperor

Post by Darkemperor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:39 pm

SoTS Prime had drived me in the Game Dev through its modability, diversity and deep mechanics. Thanks Kerbs a lot for this great game. It means a lot for my life ^_^

Throug all this years I have not seen 4x ala "space wargame" better than is. Although I have several times trying to play SoTS II for me its has to much micromanagement that fades away the greatest features of the IP: straightforward move to deep and immersive combat. For me such immersion was achieve only in Nexus. I will support those that compare SoTS to "TW in space".

I would definitely invest in development of the SoTS HD or in buying of complete product.

For me the bullet points of it will be:
1. Up to date graphics.
2. A little bit more friendly UI on strategic map. I love the work that CA made to TW Warhammer II. It allows not to concentrate on mikro that you currently don't need to, or to dive in it if you want to.
3. Some more in game wiki and tool tips will help to introduce new players in. Through all this years still find myself not completely understand about some battle mechanics.
4. Speaking about of graphics I am more into a little bit cartoonishly exaggerated style from SoTS then realistic from SotS II. This kind of style helped a lot to concentrate on the main things in racial diversity. More realistic style always make them more common. However I would be happy with every decision if the ambition to deeply represent lore will be remained.

Once again thank you for the passion! Looking forward to see the rebirth of a great game :)

"My quine please forgive us we are slow but successful..."

drages

Post by drages » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 pm

I am a huge fan of SOTS 1, it's still my best 4x as i like battles, visuals and homeworld, SOTS 2 was my first and last pre-order.. i told you those because i don't want you get me wrong.

What is SOTS?

- A battle based 4x with;
- Minimum planet crap,
- Best done ship design style (as Stellaris still uses a copy of it and as the 2.0 patch it will be more similar.. probably they will use the same one after 1 year..)
- Best battles with homeworld style as graphics and tactical..
- Nice variety battle related things/researches/weapons..
- Best Capital ship battles..

What did SOTS 2 add?

- The ultimate ship design,
- More capital based game play with bigger everything!
- More battle things to use..
- Some good strategic level ideas..
- Much more battle graphics..

Do I need a SOTS 1 remake?

- I can still play SOTS 1 at my end game PC without any problem.
- I got nice texture mods.
- I got huge content mods.
- Effects are working..

so for that question, i don't have a reason to have a direct replica of SOTS with just better graphic..

Would i want to have a SOTS 1 with some Sots 2 elements?

- SOTS 2 ship designs and content, hell yeah with titan ships and great ship design..
- Tons of weapons, all ideas from the mods included..
- Some little things for planets.. only few..
- Generals could be, but NO to fleets and prototypes..

As short a strategic SOTS 1 with tactical SOTS 2 would be nice.. but then the question comes:

If the SOTS 2 were playable, we did not need a SOTS HD.. why did the SOTS 2 fail at first place and if it failed, why would another SOTS prevail?

This is what i think. I don't need a SOTS remake, i just need a active AI to play Sots 2.. a miracle to resurrect it.. you don't need to redo a whole similar game to have it.. there is tons of examples for many games resurrected by some random people.. there are people who is doing 4x games alone or 2-3 people.. SOTS 2 got already their visuals.. why would i wait a dream game for 4+ years when i can have a just an AI code to able to play it already...

I played SOTS 1 and i saw what Kerberos can do.. I pre-order a game first time because I did not have a doubt about them.. I got the SOtS 2 at first hours.. I won't talk about what happened because i did not care about it.. I just wait because i thought the game will be great maybe after 1-2 years.. i got time to wait.. but i don't have it still.. as a player, i don't care the reasons.. now i need a proof to know that i can have a great SOTS again from the same devs to get a hope for it..

I thank to Kerberos for SOTS 1 and modders to make it immortal.. I thank for the SOTS 2 greatness but i am very sad at same time because i can't play the beautiful game because there is no AI.. I am very sad, you can't even mod the game because it's locked.. I am just a honest and sad SOTS fan..

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 pm

I feel your pain but to lay this at the doorstep of the developer is woefully over simplifying. It would be a good idea to think about the directions this company took after sots2 in order to make sure such a thing could never happen again.

Return to “SotS”