So.. This Herald guy.. (spoilers?)

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: So.. This Herald guy.. (spoilers?)

Post by ZedF » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 pm

The book of Revelation from the Bible.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Also they changed the game a little while back so that random encounters couldn't be tried again under the exact same circumstances (or at all) by just loading the last save. They are a bit more random...
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

sorain

Post by sorain » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:28 am

[quote="The MagusPotential spoilers: I was just out of visual range when it happened. but I heard the shuttle/drone launch sound and saw two smaller versions of the ship hunting me down. Hunters/battle riders of some sort? I was left scratching my head as to where they came from because I didn't get a good look at the original ship and they each looked to be just slightly smaller than the original to me. I have a picture of them here for those who are curious: "http://www.xfire.com/profile/theprimemagus/screenshots/?view#99234894". I take particular interest in those cubes lining the side of the ships...[/quote]

ok, that gave me chills. I swear from that angle that looks like a Imperial Destroyer from warhammer 40k.

Also potential spoilers:
Having ran into The Herald myself, I examined his ship and riders closely. Because I had no mobile units at my HW, he did not deploy them, but I am gathering that like him they dont use reaction drives. Instead they use that garbage disposal like array. Clearly a refined variant on the Zuul Rip Drive. (at least in design appearance) Oddly, it uses Gauss PD. The common points of both Herald and BattleRider designs are the wedge like prow, Spine like middle section, and the jet engine like engine segment. given the counter rotating parts of it, we cant be sure about much. We can see it appears to provide inertalless drive to The Herald. (mind you he was just circling my homeworld at a distance, but the speed and smoothness of his manuvers indicates a non reaction drive to me.) The offset prow on the Riders raises many questions. Barring that large area on the centerline turning out to be a Spinal Mount weapon (which was my inital thought) then the asymetric design is clearly a holdover from the Zuul DE design's we have seen before. the apparent 3 medium and at least 5 small turrets also fits with Zuul armorment levels. As a former player of EVE, I think we are seeing a Minmatar situation here. Zuul keeping to their design asteics, while moving from scavanged parts to manufactured ones. The spinning 3 prong rear section is remincant of a bore ship as well. I belive it is safe to state that this examination is at least somewhat objective.Spoilers end.
The brain gets its power from performing many parallel operations, a computer from performing operations very quickly.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:08 pm

It's weird that you can just up sticks and abandon the planet to deal with this bs.... Seems like the civvies would stick around and do a Malheur style standoff instead of saying 'yes sir Mr Imperial sir' while being herded onto the transport ships.

In Rome Total War I had to put cities "to the sword" to deal with the equivalent situation

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:14 pm

:yell: wow this guy attacked my homeworld twice within about 15 years... Jesus... The first time after revolt I got a message saying the revolt had been supressed. It remains to be seen what will happen this time... Morale is at 2 on the first turn of his most recent attack

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:13 pm

you need propaganda ships.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:57 pm

...and monies. $1,000,000 surplus, +1 morale. $5,000,000 gives +2 (+3?). That will help build back your morale. If your population is maxed, build one colonizer ship per turn to keep the civilian population just under the max to avoid the overpopulation -1 morale penalty. If you can still colonize a world or two, that will also +1 morale per settlement. A police cutter (Fusion era) in orbit will also cancel one -1 penalty.

Sucks about that Herald. You can cheat for randoms like him though - just restore the the last autosave (previous turn) and he'll (probably) not appear when you hit Next Turn. This trick doesn't work for Von Neumans though, just randoms like asteroids, Herald, etc. Von Neumans have their own count down timer.

Cheers!

William

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:49 am

Or blow the crap outta him and his riders...
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Well that’s not always feasible as you typically need some pretty fast ships for that... not likely to happen in the fission era. OTOH if you’re in the AM eta it should be easily managed if you’ve got even a squadron of ships on hand.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Pretty sure I've at least shot down both his riders during fission era...but that may just be me not remembering that I was in Fusion.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Catching the riders and catching the Herald are different kettles of fish; the riders will engage you but the Herald typically won’t unless you catch up and force him to. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:42 pm

You're probably right.

I know I've shot down the Herald at least 3 times, but I can't swear as to the era I was in when I did.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:07 pm

What happened was after a few turns the revolt was supressed and HW went back to normal morale. I wonder if there are HW specific defenses against certain randoms. I blew up some von neumanns at my hw once but the Orkin Man never showed up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:07 pm

It's normal for morale to go back up if you suppress the rebellion. Your imperial & civilian pop are killing one another and damaging the planet during the rebellion; when you've killed off the rebels the ones that are left are either cowed or were the part of your populace that were more loyal to begin with. AFAIK the HW does not get any special protection vs. randoms.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “SotS”