Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

willdieh

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by willdieh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:28 pm

You're not alone sir. All we can do is hope :) Sometimes I wish there was an even more simplistic abstraction of SOTS that was sprite based. Something I could play at work and still get my SOTS universe fix in a 4x game. You could still do real-time combat with sprites in 2D or perhaps 2.5D isometric but maybe have the focus more on empire management. We can all hope and dream.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:31 pm

you do realize sprites take awhile as well, right? ;)

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:31 am

Maybe even abstract away the combat (gasp) and have the focus on interstellar intrigue and empire building :) something that would let me pay more attention to my Zuul babies as they infect and terraform planets or delve more into the racial characteristics of the morrigi trading dynamics, the Zuul psi abilities, or the liir backstory. I wouldn't want to play a total clone of the kingdom building and court intrigue of Crusader Kings but maybe something like Stellar Monarch https://store.steampowered.com/app/4460 ... r_Monarch/ with sots race specific experiences? I'm probably more alone in these lines of thought but any chance I get to learn about the sotsverse makes me happy. It'd be so awesome to see what Erinys could do with the lore in a game like that!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:51 am

Given that SotS deliberately bucks the trend of abstracting away tactical complexity to focus solely on the strategy layer, I tend to think you may be barking up the wrong tree here. 8)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:07 am

No doubt :) I just think the sotsverse is one of Kerberos' greatest strengths and I wish I had a way to explore it's depths in a more detailed way.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:10 pm

willdieh wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:07 am
No doubt :) I just think the sotsverse is one of Kerberos' greatest strengths and I wish I had a way to explore it's depths in a more detailed way.
You could take a look at StarSector but it isn't a 4x. It has a ton of mods though not sure if there's a SOTS-themed race there.

EDIT: their blog has a section on Art, which includes their sprite based work. Sprites are not as easy as they may seem.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:47 pm

wild you are also aware that often design choices like involved story telling in 4X are done not because of the awesome but because its a lot cheaper to produce and pad your gameplay, right? :twisted:

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:55 pm

wild you are also aware that often design choices like involved story telling in 4X are done not because of the awesome but because its a lot cheaper to produce and pad your gameplay, right?

Hmmm, not sure if that implies it's a bad thing or not... If it helps with the production budget to have more involved story telling, sounds like a win-win if you're aiming at something other than an action only game.

I was just thinking outside of the box and sharing my own personal preferences. That plus it'd be great to work in some of that thought put into the SOTS RPG http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 85&t=53638 :) Okay, I'll just drop it.

William

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:48 am

willdieh wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:55 pm
I was just thinking outside of the box and sharing my own personal preferences. That plus it'd be great to work in some of that thought put into the SOTS RPG http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 85&t=53638 :) Okay, I'll just drop it.
Fair enough Will. We obviously share your enthusiasm for SOTS verse and for the possibility of more games in this series.

Your suggestions sound just fine to me...for a game is that isn't a remake of SOTS prime.

Non-abstracted combat is a foundation of SOTS 4x and one of the reasons why it is still very relevant in the genre. So if you got rid of that feature in the name of "getting a new game sooner", you may find your long-term enjoyment would be hampered for shallow short-term novelty.

Cainan

Post by Cainan » Tue May 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Hey Mec,

I was looking at the comments on the Pit Boardgame Kickstarter (already pledged!), and had an idea.

When the time comes for our Hypothetical SotS remake, please please PLEASE give us a way to get 3D printable ship models!
I didn't consciously know it until today, but I've wanted a physical model of several ship designs for years!

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am

Yay minis
Last edited by balti knights on Sat May 19, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm

no era of sots ship sections are properly sealed for 3-D printing.

Cainan, yep you can bet we will be getting some of those prepped. Was part of the reason we got our own printer! :twisted:

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue May 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Just a quick query to all.

Has everyone here either donated to The Pit board game kickstarter or referred anyone who might be interested? If not, please do so sooner rather than later! We're really close to the kickstarter goal!
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue May 29, 2018 11:48 pm

probably good to mention this in the modding section as well

Cainan

Post by Cainan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 pm

and accomplished! Grats on the board game funding!.

*reshuffles Mec's todo list, putting 'SotS Remastered' above "World Domination', but under 'Pay Bills, Feed Pets'*

Return to “SotS”