Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Slashman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:02 am

Ummm....I frikkin' loved the goop armor repair modules!

Especially when you failed to get higher level armors thanks to the accursed sado-randomizer.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:25 am

So... anything new on sots hd front?

Warder

fivve

Post by fivve » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Going back to 2 or 3 races can easily be done.... If you remember correctly as of Enhanced Edition, the Loa invaded. With backstory you can always say that Sol Force, the Hiver, Tarka, Liir-Zuul and Morrigi joined forces to destroy the Loa. That being said some of them can either be converted to a minor race, wiped out or vanish from the story completely, possibly to stay out of the war. The Suul’ka as we know would either be wiped out or vanish as I don’t think they would join an alliance to fight anyone, given their nature. Any of these races can always come back in a future expansion as a major race if required.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 pm

The deal with a SotS HD would be going back in time to before the Loa even existed, and nobody had ever heard of Zuul or Morrigi...
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

fivve

Post by fivve » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 am

As they say, one step back two steps forward...

rytram

Post by rytram » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:43 am

i know this topic is old. and i have stated opinions on multiple threads on steam. in fact, one of my discussions about this same thing has been goin on for years now and even Mecron himself has made a comment. so here goes.

hypothetically speaking, IF everything worked out via licensing and all the legal mumbojumbo was a non issue my thoughts are as such

SoTS HD

** there was no alternative to a failed tree in sots one other then research salvage. and then you only got that specific tech. in reality it should have provided a breakthrough in the research that revived the tech tree because thats what reverse engineering does. at the point of a successful salvage research it should have re-rolled the tree.
**FIRST. use a BETTER engine if possible. something more capable of using modern hardware to handle larger loads.
**Keep the solar maps from SoTS 2.
**Better AI (if possible) easier said then done
**more 3D to the battlefield. my ships are battling in space. not on the ground. i should have the option to make them go under or over other ships not all the ships ramming together in a huge clusterf@#k. however. i would add that as a tech option for tarka and Zuul. Reinforced Ramming command section :lol: .

**choose where to spawn in on a battlefield may be a decent idea.
**larger Fleet manager screen with the ability to make "squadrons" this way you can have ship groupings that work together combined with different spawning options you could approach a planet or battle with more strategy. also the CNC is a good idea but a MAJOR weakness. so maybe some thought to improving how this all works. ideally a CNC ship would not be on the front lines with the rest as their purpose is to coordinate the battle
**Defense Platforms need to be overhauled because for the most part they were useless.
** multiple players in a single battle if multiple players are on the same planet. this would GREATLY increase the strategy and diversity of combat. allies coordinating attacks and defense together.
**the ability to damage mounts and sections on dreadnoughts
**some alterations to Liir. they are terrible at early game. huge disadvantage in early drive tech. paper thin armor. i get that they are supposed to have an offset due to their research bonus and deep space travel. but mainly early game battles with them are absolutely brutal. although they were always my favorite. next to Hiver. but OMG hiver are slow LOL. but BRUTAL.

**Lastly and the most obvious. it should be HD lol. as per the title, but not only that but i spend a good amount of time on lighting and bloom. i want the energy weapons to look FANTASTIC, truly representative of a modern HD game. more particle effects. more destructibility. when the ships take armor damage maybe some of the armor breaks off as debris. more physics. lets say you target their drives. damaging them may cause them to overload and shut down temporarily before you ultimately blow them up. when the drives shut down maybe have them sputter out, it would be cool to see some thrusters blow off the ship as debris and burn and smoke or whatever lol. that would be cool. ON THIS NOTE. the Zuul were pretty much like REAVERS from firefly/serenity. and being as their ships are made from salvage being the raiders that they are. their ships should look like they dont run as efficiently. therefore more exhaust and pollution would make sense. give their tankers and refineries the ability to kamikaze. also, more ship customization. have like 3 color options all with customizable colors. More emblems and Icons. add in different color effects like: matte, gloss, super gloss, iridescent, pearl. etc.

** big bonus here. but a tutorial mode for new players. not an encyclopedia. sure tha helps. but havin an actual training mode is much easier on new players, and would have been helpful for me to understand SoTS II better. sometimes very steep learning curves are a determining factor on if people like your game or not.

** one think i like in other 4x games like Civ is different methods of ending a game. because the Liir and Moriggi are less hostile species, it doesnt make as much sense to completely annihilate everyone. and the AI was super hard to get to surrender.

im sure i can think of more, and if i do ill edit to accommodate them. these are merely suggestions(good or bad), and a lot of the suggestions are based on SoTS prime not SoTS II(because honestly my knowledge of II is limited as of yet) and should not be taken personally, all suggestions are completely open to debate and it is even welcomed. i enjoy a good conversation about things i am passionate about SoTS being one of them. additionally. i may also not be very knowledgeable in how the other side works as a dev. so please dont take any insult in my suggestions nor give any for them as well. consider it all "food for thought"

a proper SoTS HD or even a SoTS III(eventually) is still an exciting prospect i can invest in. TBH i have been burned by Bungie more then Kerb/Paradox. so i would absolutely spend at least $100 in a kick starter if this "hypothetical" became a "reality" and i truly do hope it does.

**post edits**

i got too carried away with some ideas that i lost focus on what a SoTS HD should be. and in agreement with a lot of people here. as an HD remake. it should mainly focus on aesthetic value. some of my ideas were better suited to a SoTS III. which hopefully would become a real consideration if this "hypothetical" SoTS HD sold well. and it damn well better. Mecron, i completely trust your judgement and it is always good to see a dev shed some perspective on the other side. making games is no easy task, and a lot of us would do well to remember this.
Last edited by rytram on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:57 am

rytram wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:43 am
im not pointing fingers, im not placing blame.
You say that but the first part of your post really doesn't sound like that's not what you're doing.

Enough information has been dropped by the devs AND publisher that anyone with a modicum of reason could work out exactly what went on behind the scenes and would never need to make a statement like "I'm not pointing fingers". :roll:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

rytram

Post by rytram » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:39 am

**mis-replied**

rytram

Post by rytram » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:43 am

You say that but the first part of your post really doesn't sound like that's not what you're doing.

Enough information has been dropped by the devs AND publisher that anyone with a modicum of reason could work out exactly what went on behind the scenes and would never need to make a statement like "I'm not pointing fingers".
:roll:

is what i mean by this. is that im not blaming kerb for what happened. i was saying that the state of the game on release and even now (according to a lot of people) that the game was a bust. i know and understand that in most respects kerb had their hands tied. budget and time constraints. this is a problem all around the industry. where publishers have unrealistic expectations as far as time and budget. so ya. maybe me saying "im not pointing fingers" is a bit of a mis step because we all know para was the biggest problem, but that being said. there may be other issues and concerns with development that was the fault of kerb, i dont know. its possible.

knowing 2 such individuals whom work(ed) at Bungie. the general consensus of the dev/pub transaction is somewhat as follows

Dev: we wanna make a game
Pub: whats the game
Dev: its this
Pub: how much and how long. make a project plan and bring it to me
Dev: this is our project plan. with our staff we can do it in X time for around X money, if we had more staff it may be shorter
Pub: ok sounds great OR how about Y money and Y time.
Dev: we can try and will work hard to meet the objective
Pub: sounds great

1 year later

Pub: whats the status
Dev: everything is coming along. although, we ran into some issues with the game engine and it is making content creation a hassle. or there were major bugs, or our initial estimates were off and we need X more money and X more time.
Pub: but you told me X money X time. ok. well fix it
Dev: ok, we will try.

1 year later

Dev: we are having issues because this and that. at this rate we will not be ready by agreed date
Pub: i dont care what you have to do, get it done, cut this from that, toss whats not working, ship as is and fix later. just finish the game so i can get my money.
Dev: we cant do that, it is not ready and if we do this or that, the game will be bad
Pub: i dont care anymore i have spent X money and given you X time. i want my XX money. do the thing.

so on and so forth until Pub starts weighing the options and makes decisions to cut budget, drop project. or work with it. of course this is all over simplifying the transaction. but its meant to bring a basic understanding.

i am mainly using Bungie's track record as an example here.
Last edited by rytram on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fivve

Post by fivve » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:56 am

I still play Sots2, yeah there was a few things I didn't like so I have been making a few mods ever since. The only thing I'm having difficulty with is speeding up turn times after turn 100 and reducing it to 10 seconds or less. I assume it's something to do with the database, so I'm reading into that to see if I can make it run quicker.

As for Sots HD, all they need to do is let me know when they want my money and how much and I will send it.

rytram

Post by rytram » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:30 am

erdrik wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:23 am
Im pretty late to this party, but I do have a thought so Ill throw it in.

Im not sure if it has a proper term but I have always been partial to a screen selection index that is present and consistent in all screens.
So like:
  • No matter what screen Im in there would be a horizontal bar of buttons of all the primary screens you can go to except the galaxy map.
  • Clicking the button of the screen your already in will send you back to the galaxy map.
That way I can go to any screen from any screen.
I don't have to mouse up to the top corner for the tech screen, then all the way back down to the bottom corner to leave it. I could go from the build screen, to the tech screen, to the design screen, to the empire screen, ect...

(I hope I described that well enough, I can try to produce a concept image if needed)

Its nice having hotkeys, and being able to ESC back out to the galaxy map. But new players are not always savvy to that kind of stuff, and as much as I hate the trend not all player have the mindset to educate themselves before playing. Also sometimes I just want to play the management phase using only the mouse. But there is a lot of extra steps to get from the tech screen to the empire screen using only the mouse.
personally. i just used the hotkeys for this. it seems like good feedback but ultimately unnecessary when u can simply hit the hotkey for the screen you want to go to. and those can be edited in the key bindings menu under options. why fix something that isnt broken

rytram

Post by rytram » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 am

Mecron wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:36 pm
We will never be working with paradox again.
THANK.....F!@#ING....GOD!!! but the issue would be, if anyone....who? pub issues are fairly general across the board. some are more tolerable and hands off then others. but in this day and age. workin with a major pub may result in more fukin micro-transactions and/or lootboxes. it seems the industry as a whole has made a turn for the worst. but i still hold hope

rytram

Post by rytram » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:10 am

ZedF wrote:
Mon May 02, 2016 8:11 pm
Ludovsky wrote:Personally, I have to second the suggestion of multiple planets systems, but considering each a separate battleground
Personally, I don't really see why this is any better than just having more star systems with one main planet per star. The argument that you might find a good 2nd planet doesn't really fly; you might just as easily find a good planet at the next star over in a one-main-planet-per-star setup where there are more stars to work with.

honestly. on the topic of multi-planet systems. i could do with out the system battles and such. as our astrology dictates each system has a "goldie locks" zone where there are habitable planets. this would represent the one habitable planet and the rest could just be for other things that benefit the strategic game level such as mining worlds. outposts, and other things that would bring strategic advantage. this would eliminate the whole system battle issue people had with SoTS2 and help to preserve the single planet battle system of SoTS1. as well as it would appease the crowd that is more interested in the visual representation of a star system as opposed to a sun which turns into a planet when discovered.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:04 pm

I doubt we will ever work with a video game publisher again.

And a slight correction here...

1 year later

Dev: everything is coming along. but since you have not been paying on time we have not been able to hire the staff referenced in the contract and we are falling behind. We will need x more time and y more money ON TIME to finish this.
Pub: you can have more time.
Dev: ok, we will try.

1 more year later

Pub: Are you done?
Dev: Well you still are not paying on time, our staff is minimal and we just lost our AI programmer so there is trouble.
Pub: We we need to put you out the door or you can go longer without any funding.
Dev: B-but...
Pub: Someone has to go and we are picking you so get at it.
Dev: Ok. We will do everything we can.
Pub: Great! By the way, we are going to throw you under the bus. K'thanks'bye!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:32 am

I've heard that story before with Timegate Studios in three different games -Section 8, Section 8: Prejudice and a certain Aliens: Colonial Marines, though the latter is much more convoluted than the prior even if it was the prior which wound up causing the company to be liquidated.

Its a pity there isn't a way for smaller indie studios to work together to get funding - Carbon Studios is in a similar situation.
--------------

On the topic of systems again, the one thing I've taken away from SOTS2 in that department is that each star can have its own system and resulting planets, that results in a lot more work every turn for the game to process. In SOTS1, a 100 stars means 100 (101 due to VN) planets. In SOTS2, 100 stars usually averages out at 200+ planets if not more.

I still feel that there should be one or no habitable worlds per system and that is where the combat is located, but everything else in that system is a part of the background and can't be interacted with apart from potentially certain GMs like the System Killer. I'd still love to battle a SK trying to devour a star itself, but ehh.

As much as I love how SOTS2's combat works in regards to the solar system, SOTS1's approach is simply better from a gameplay standpoint. Also, Kerb... please re-arm all of the stations.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Return to “SotS”