Research over budget much?

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

willdieh

Research over budget much?

Post by willdieh » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi All,
So I'm a big SOTS fan and have many hours under my belt with all factions. One thing I've noticed, and I want to just throw this out there to see if it's just my imagination or if anyone else thinks so too, is that the better your race is at research, the more likely you are to overrun your research budgets on a project.
The two greatest extremes are Zuul and Liir. Early game, when every research turn counts the most, I find I almost ALWAYS overrun with Liir on projects that should take three turns or so. With Zuul, I almost always get the project at 100%.
Now I know this is probably just my mind playing tricks on me, or perhaps it's just selective observation as I get sooo upset when playing Liir and my research always seems to go over budget (when this is the one thing that's supposed to save me as a racial advantage!) and these are the cases I always remember, but last weekend I was playing another game as Liir and for the first time I can EVER remember, I actually had EARLY completions on like 4 out of 5 early technologies! It blew me away and set the stage for a very powerful early game Liir.
The other reality is that Zuul probably go over budget less simply because their research is slower and thus takes more turns to finish. Each turn that passes gives another random chance at completion after 50%.
I guess I'm asking if anyone else thinks the RNG is skewed against advanced research races or if I'm just a grumpy old Liir hater.
Edit: Cross-posted on Reddit.com/r/sots

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Research over budget much?

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 pm

My observation is not that Liir get the shaft specifically, but that the quicker you can reach 100% completion the more likely it is to go over budget. If I am doing sprint and drift as Liir they don’t get any more over budget results than anyone else - maybe fewer, even. But if you are powering through techs at max speed then they can power better than most, so get more over budgets because of that.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 pm

You're probably right. I'm sure it's all in my head. I love Zuul, and almost never rage over my research being over budget. With Liir, I find myself grinding my teeth about it so often that it felt like a pattern.
In some ways it was almost thematic though when certain technologies were over-budget - like AI for the Liir (who aren't supposed to have it very often).

It would be fun if we could see the RNG over-budget results for the tech tree in a game. I don't think the calculations are stored though, except maybe in a save-game file. Anyone know?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:52 am

The pRNG seed is stored in the save file IIRC, but I don’t think specific results regarding which techs will go over or under budget are pre-generated.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:12 am

I do 95% research budget until research is at 50%, then drop to 50-60% to build extra scouts/colonies and increase chance of research breakthrough. It works great for big ones like fusion.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Yeah, I think this is the way to go too. I guess I just get frustrated with Liir going over budget because research is their racial bonus ;)
I have been playing as Liir more and no longer believe there's some dark conspiracy to make them go over budget (I never really did, but just saying), it's just the game mechanic being more pronounced on two/three turn research objectives. These days, I've just been setting the slider to at least 3 or 4 turn research and just pocketing the extra money. It helps early game and research overruns later don't bother me as much.

It would be cool if there was a technology your could research (or even a racial bonus) called "accurate research budget prediction" that would eliminate overruns. If it was available for Zuul, it could be called "Scientific coercion" or something equally threatening ;)

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:36 am

As a scientist irl... I agree lmao

In the mean time try AI

At a certain point research is either 1 turn or 2 turns with overbudget. It's good for cleaning out bigass trees like xenotechnology

Return to “SotS”