Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by ZedF » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Changing anything in prime’s source is almost certainly a non-starter at this point since it’s so old. Besides I suspect Paradox owns that too. It really needs the remaster treatment to make source changes a possibility again.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 pm

balti knights wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 pm
If only there was a way to get all of the old guard of Prime to give a 100% and to get the next Gen on board in a big way to...Prime was a masterpiece maybe it doesn't need repainting, just a little TLC might be enough. Is it possible that a 3rd party kickstarter could attach enough interest to pay for a professional valet? No profit for Kerb though but a good way to bang the drums and see who might be listening..
An unofficial yet Kerberos approved mod
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 pm

get on it balti!

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:22 pm

umm ok, quick question then 'how much do think it would cost to payroll Chris Gerspacher and/or rimbimbambo (is he still rocking?)'?
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 pm

aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnddddd never mind folks!

That was literally NOT the biggest issue in your plan.

THIEFs

Post by THIEFs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 am

Mecron wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 pm
aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnddddd never mind folks!

That was literally NOT the biggest issue in your plan.
... and the biggest issue in Baltis plan is?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:07 pm

ZedF wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:38 pm
Changing anything in prime’s source is almost certainly a non-starter at this point since it’s so old. Besides I suspect Paradox owns that too. It really needs the remaster treatment to make source changes a possibility again.
If you want it done professionally then you need to get permission from the rights holders. Good luck with that. Your only other option on the original code base is fan modding.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Thiefs...doing the work...THAT'S ALWAYS THE BIGGEST ISSUE. Its like you are sitting around going "We should form our own junior hockey team! Yeah! Ok! First thing, lets see if we can get Wayne Gretsky to coach!"

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 pm

balti knights wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 pm
Is it possible that a 3rd party kickstarter could attach enough interest to pay for a professional valet?
I didn't get the impression that Balti was asking for a coach for a fan mod, I got the impression he was asking if it would be possible to pay for contract work on the SotS1 code base and/or a professional to do the modding, independently from any fan. I could be wrong though, he wasn't super clear. Regardless, I don't expect either of those are likely possibilities.

I agree that if a fan wants to do the work and maybe try to get casual input and some sort of unofficial blessing from Kerberos, that's a more likely project.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 am

if one or two of us works on it, how in any way is it a mod?

If he did mean some sort of mod project which is what i understood, hence my saying its ass-ended statement. If he outlined some sort of plan and what kind of work was going to be done by a mod team and THEN got to, "we might need someone on the inside", then that is a presentation that can at least be looked at.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 am

We've been down this road before and it didn't amount to anything as I recall. Because modders are modders and everyone's viewpoint is slightly/vastly different and everyone wants to do this or that and in the end very little work got done.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:14 am

And all I wanted to do was see about fixing a few bugs in SOTS2 that I can't seem to fix via modding itself. :|

Well, this is why we do wish for SOTSHD - the unreal engine has always been highly moddable so with enough time and focus, someone could potentially remake SOTS2 within it.

This may be a bit out of place, but if SOTSHD does go ahead, what design for the larger Morrigi ships would be used? The SOTS1 style or the SOTS2 style? Or something entirely different?
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:36 am

Slashman wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 am
We've been down this road before and it didn't amount to anything as I recall. Because modders are modders and everyone's viewpoint is slightly/vastly different and everyone wants to do this or that and in the end very little work got done.
Well if we were talking about a whole bunch of contributors, sure. It becomes easier to wrangle a team if there are fewer people involved, everyone who is involved is capable of and committed to doing large parts of the work, and there is some clear leadership structure. Or, one person does all the work, and just gets feedback from Kerberos & the community about potential changes to make & the work they've done.
Zed's TARs (sample):

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:14 am
And all I wanted to do was see about fixing a few bugs in SOTS2 that I can't seem to fix via modding itself. :|
I'm with you Rosinna... I think SOTS2 still has the potential to be the masterpiece it deserves to be. It's a real shame that it's so mired in its own troubled history. Even if we could get the never-released Kerberos modding tools, fans might be able to make it more than what it currently is.

The added ship classes, technology, and faction lore introduced in SOTS2 just really flesh out the SOTS universe like no other Kerberos game. It stands as an incomplete reference to all that is SOTS with its unfinished sots-pedia.

Kickstart is such an amazing platform to raise funds for things like patches and updates that I don't understand why it couldn't be used to fix it up. Start a funding project for SOTS2: The Fan Release 1 (or something), see if you get enough to implement a few changes, rinse and repeat. If you don't make the goal, refund the money. Just updating a few things like AI, UI, stability, and maybe work to make certain game features optional (eg, stations/station maintenance/trade/admirals/fleet limits/etc). We do it in higher education all the time with grants. Hire employees under a "categorically funded" basis to perform specific grant related work until the grant runs out.

I'm probably beating a long-dead horse though and the relationship between Paradox and Kerberos may be such that SOTS2 is a pariah project, but from everything I've read it's still possible for Kerberos to release updates to SOTS2 and Kickstart would be one way of doing so since Paradox won't be funding them. But, like Darth Vader in Star Wars, I have a "sad devotion to an ancient religion" of what could be done with SOTS2.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 pm

THe horse you are beating is so dead the only record of it would be in geological record. :lol:

"Even if we could get the never-released Kerberos modding tools." What part of "we never got paid enough regular enough to set up the project properly" are you not getting in terms of actual implications? And seriously...we are supposed to somehow raise money to continue a project WE WILL NEVER RECEIVE A RED CENT FOR? I realize higher ed isn't a real business model kind of place but SURELY someone in economics can explain the slight flaw in your plan.

I realize you guys mean the best but sometimes...

And Rossinna, yes I realize that's what you want...but please understand the world changes in eight years. How many people do you think that worked on "Shoot more Robots" still are working at the same company and have a set of decade old compiler tools laying about? We support games far longer than the norm in computer gaming but even we have limits. People have lives. They move on. Or worse, they forget things. ;)

Return to “SotS”