Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

fivve

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by fivve » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm

For all we know Mr sneaky Mecron could well be working on a SotS Games in the background. He probably just doesn't want to get our hopes.

We all know what happens when you rally a mob, they want blood. As he said, making a game takes a long time, especially when your making it from scratch.
So... For all we know in another 2 or even 3 years time, he drops the bombshell and gives us all a heart attack.

I'll be keeping both eyeballs on you Mecron and my ears open. :lol:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:15 am

Thanks guys, and to be honest Doc, our resident Lore Goddess gets most of the credit for expanding the SOtSverse. I just sit around thinking of crazy things to put in games and then after throwing a stapler at me, she has to get to work creating a cool rationales for all the new stuff.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:19 pm

I second the sentiments of gratitude and know you guys are committed to the SOTS universe. Erinys has created a world that is so amazing that I can't wait for anything that expands on it. This is one of the reasons I love SOTS2 so much, as it took the original SOTSverse and expanded it with the backstory that was only hinted to in SOTS1. The Liir and Zuul partnership as a faction, the Suulka, and the Loa were all just such awesome touches to that world (I'm just a little sad there wasn't more love for my Morrigi ;).

Thanks Mecron and everyone else! Keep up the amazing work. Best wishes to Kerberos for 2019!

Cainan

Post by Cainan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 am

Mecron wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am

No disrespect ry but your support is about as uplifting as that guy at a New's Years eve party who walks up and says "Its great to see you! Have you had that mole looked at?!"

Oh Sweet Merciful Elder Fishies! So sorry Mecron! We TOLD him not to mention the mole! See?! This! This right here. This is why we never get invited back to these parties!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 pm

lol!

rytram

Post by rytram » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:52 am

Mecron wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am
"i mean no disrespect Mechron"

Lol...really?

Seriously though, I think you can safely assume the actual business of making games is about 2 orders of magnitude more complicated than you think given your post...

"i wonder what Kerb could do if they teamed up with "Take-Two"whom owns the renown "Civilization" Franchise. "

While we are wondering...we could wonder what kerb could do if we all won the lottery or if aliens picked us to be emissaries for all of earth. Both are equally as likely as Take 2 handing civ over to a twelve person team.

"but things aren't looking so great right now."

Yeah it sure is tragic to be headed into our 15'th anniversary as a company that has published over nearly 2 dozen games and expansions.

No disrespect ry but your support is about as uplifting as that guy at a New's Years eve party who walks up and says "Its great to see you! Have you had that mole looked at?!"

you completely misunderstood. i dont think you should work on CIV, its that they have a good history of producing 4x games like Civ. Fraxis does Civ very well, and Kerb does SoTS really well. no part of this was an assumption that you would be working on Civ, but rather the contrary. Take Two is a publisher with which some sorely needed investments could potentially be achieved from.

my support means nothing because you seem to be at a loss for comprehending the point of it. if you would stop feeling insulted and attacked for once maybe you could see its meaning. not all support is groveling. sometimes it comes in the form of constructive criticism. something like: "barely anyone cares about board games". its time to pick yourself up, dust off the dirt and get back to what you do best. PC games. specifically Sots.

you have a whole community still mostly loyal to you, we have been providing feedback on this forum for quite some time now even though it is only hypothetical. feel that love. not all ideas are good ideas, but they are ideas, something that helps you look at some things differently, and maybe give you an idea of your own based off of that bad idea. who knows. so, maybe a little less sas and a little more humbleness to your dwindling fan base. this post was probably the best thing to rekindle said base to come from kerb in a long time. lets stick with that
Last edited by rytram on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

fivve

Post by fivve » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:02 am

In order words...... "Mecron, we want to give you our money, we will give you as much as we can, so please, please, please tell us when we can pre-order SotS HD."
There is only so much we can do to mod SotS1 and SotS2. So please give us salvation.

Let me guess... Act like a human being and stop begging like a dog, right?. :lol:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 pm

Nope! Help find 10,000 more people saying the same thing! ;)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 pm

What I love about you ry is the fact that your message was very poorly phrased is the receiver's fault. :lol:

TO be very honest, your post comes off as sanctimonious because your ideas are incredibly detached from the realities of the world and yet you act like its so obvious. No one wants anyone to grovel, but maybe step down off your horse and actually ask a question? Inquire to what people's business plans are or even question the validity of your own statements while you are busy preaching.

You want someone to take your posts in a good way? Try turning down the gaslighting.

Just some constructive criticism.

fivve

Post by fivve » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 pm

You'd think raising 10,000 people would be easy considering we have a population of over 8 Billion. Where there's a will, there's a way, so off to the drawing board I go.

rytram

Post by rytram » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:33 pm

Mecron wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 pm
Nope! Help find 10,000 more people saying the same thing! ;)
im with Fivve here. do we not have at least a meager 10,000 people already whom would love this game to be a reality? i understand that not every fan subscribes to kerbs forums, but it makes me wonder how many of us actually do. and honestly 10,000 people really seems like a small number when games are concerned. maybe SoTS isnt considered AAA, but it is in MY book. so sure maybe a number like 1,000,000+ may be a tall order. but surely this game is loved by at least 100,000+ people. after all, it is the Best Space 4X game on the market in most of our opinions. just like Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is considered to be the best RTS by a great many RTS gamers.

i would love to advertise for Kerb, but do i even have the right to do so? i do not understand the finer details of rights and ownership or everything i would need to know in order to safely attempt to advertise. i do not currently possess a skillset that would allow me to make any videos. and i am not an artist by nature, so all i have is word of mouth.

maybe i can link this forum post to say a reddit channel, but i would assume there are already plenty of SoTS discussions there.

besides. while community help is great. it IS ultimately the job and responsibility of the Developer/publisher to advertise. u work on something, get a working model to showcase, and then advertise that to gauge interest and potentially secure some funding. especially in crowd funding, (i know kerbs outlook on this already). that being said. if i knew of a better way to help, i would. i would donate more to kerb, but only if it meant i was getting a return on something i actually want (ahem SoTS).

furthermore, yes Mecron. i understand that i am not the best at articulating or phrasing shit properly. there are a lot of factors that go into how i write a message, first is mood and how i choose to respond to someone, second is if i had my pill that day. third would be if i really care about the consequences of my message.

but most times, and most of the things i said, while not written well, or shows a lack of proper understanding of your business, everything i say is usually for the purpose of supporting the future of sots. maybe you dont like or agree with everything i say, and thats fine. i dont like everything you say, even if it isnt directed at me. but, i always have the future of the Sots verse in my heart. not all of my ideas are good, but at least they are ideas, and like i said previously. maybe one of my bad ideas will cause you to think about something and ultimately have an idea of your own based on my bad idea. something that would actually work.

lets not point fingers, lets not say well this isnt happening until 10,000 people or whatever./ we all know that the main reason why this isnt a reality yet is as simple as funding. so, we need to find that, and as long as Kerb refuses to work with another Publisher like lighthouse, parados, stardock or whatever, then Crowd funding seems like the only real option.

also, i am sorry i write a lot, i just prefer to cover multiple topics or replies in a single post rather then have a bunch of smaller ones. i dont live on this thread. i only check it once in a while when i am interested in seeing whats new.

just tell us what to do Mecron, and maybe we can do something substantial to help the cause. something more than. get 10,000 ppl. how? do what? ideas ideas ideas.

rytram

Post by rytram » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 pm

Mecron wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 pm
we have no distribution rights for sots2 so a redux is not possible.

As for slugishness...an engine that is NOT 15 years old would probably fix a lot of that ;)

absolutely true lol. wasnt it an issue with RAM cap of 2GB? or maybe limited to Single Core? after all. larger than 2-4GB and or multicore support at that time was not common place and x64 was only starting to make a trend.

a new engine would definitely solve most of these problems.

look at Supreme Commander: FA, locked to a single core, and i think was also limited on RAM addressing. but furthermore bugs that caused the AI to treat dead units as if they were alive (IE issuing orders to dead units)was a performance murderer.

on the turret targeting. doesn't sots already do this? well not exactly, but you can target individual units or sections on enemy ships(one of my favorite features). if anything id say let us have more then 3 weapons groups to assign different weapons, and let us be able to assign them on the fly and not only in the build menu. OR treat every different type of weapon as its own group and maybe give us the ability to issue hold fire on individual turrets/ weapons? this would help a lot with disabling Derelicts and Asteroid Monitors. again when dealing with Coding, it is always easier said than done lol.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:08 pm

You don’t need any special skills to promote SotSverse games you like. If there are reddit conversations for the SotSverse and you are on reddit, then participate and spread enthusiasm. Or go on other social media and do the same. If you’re sure there are legions of fans hiding out there then go find them. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Ry, just to let you know. You get one more strike in the negging/mansplaining/gaslighting game and then you are out no matter how much you like wrapping that up in left handed compliments. Also this topic is for what people would like to see in a SotS HD, so please stop the bizdev redirects.

rytram

Post by rytram » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 am

on the turret targeting. doesn't sots already do this? well not exactly, but you can target individual units or sections on enemy ships(one of my favorite features). if anything id say let us have more then 3 weapons groups to assign different weapons, and let us be able to assign them on the fly and not only in the build menu. OR treat every different type of weapon as its own group and maybe give us the ability to issue hold fire on individual turrets/ weapons? this would help a lot with disabling Derelicts and Asteroid Monitors. again when dealing with Coding, it is always easier said than done lol.

[/quote]

i was thinking about this further, and to me it seems like the more control you get over this the harder it would be to focus on the larger battle. it seems contrary to the play style of SoTS. if i am spending most of my time selecting individual turrets to target individual enemy turrets then i am not focusing on the overall battle strategy, therefore the scale of battle would have to be much smaller (IIRC "SoTS II" did this to an extent). this is why i am inclined to feel like my idea of weapons grouping is a better alternative then individual turret control. that is simply too much depth for a large scale battle.

i find myself having to control single ships more then i need to because their pathing behavior tends to cause them all to issue " Capt. Picard's Ramming Speed orders" LMAO. it quickly becomes a mess if you dont force your ships to spread out, and even when you do the enemy ships tend to swarm and jumble up. im not sure what can be done about this. but it would be a nice improvement to see the AI handle combat more effectively then rush to the enemy and ram them. it is akin to 2 football teams colliding after the snap. again AI and coding in general is easier said than done lol.

further on this behavior, the enemies tend to all focus on one ship at a time, and i do the same. all focus on the biggest threat first, such as blazers or impactors. actually the first target is usually the CNC ships. i wonder how a battle would play out if ships effectively engages on 1v1s or maybe different weapons groups acted differently, like main weapons target this ship and missile salvos target another ship etc. i dont know. im just writing this shit as it comes to mind while im writing this reply. spitballing or whatnot. and yes. i know. AI is a tough topic.

how would i hypothetically do this? i envision each ship has 2 sensor bubbles. lets say. a space of 10 and a space of 20. when the first bubble intersect the ships then try to adjust trajectory to prevent collision, the second bubble would be the optimal safe distance. however. if ships do collide it would make sense that damage would be done to both ships and affected turrets. armor rating would play a role in damage received by both ships, the ship with the tougher armor would take less damage and deal more collision damage.

this idea most likely has no place in a SoTS HD remake. but maybe it is worth considering for a future project like SoTS III or something.

Return to “SotS”