Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

willdieh

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by willdieh » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Range circles, firing arcs... I guess there's some room for interpretation in this phrasing. For the sake of the player though, it might have been nice to connect a vector from the arcs in the rings to an actual turret, for clarity's sake when checking against targets in combat and in the design screen when comparing section coverage. The circles certainly look cool but form over functionality?.
[Edit: Re-thinking this, perhaps it was a design decision not to include the vectors due to the sheer number of potential mount points on the largest sized ships]

OrbitalCatapult

Post by OrbitalCatapult » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 pm

I would certainly be interested in straight up SotS with modern graphics/engine.

Though if I could also change one thing... I would like it if setting up trade routes didn't require quite so many freighters. Maybe more emphasis on ramping up the value of a freighter over time, so there can be a little less on moar freighters.

At the risk of veering off topic, Mecron's mention of his interest in board games lately also gave me an idea... a SotS tabletop fleet battle game could be quite interesting.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Yes definitely a cool idea for a table top board game. I was thinking it'd be awesome to have an expansion in the form of a set of ships/faction cards and possibly political cards for Fantasy Flight's Twilight Imperium. It wouldn't have the grandeur of a full board game release but it could draw upon what's already considered by many the quintessential 4x board game and not have to re-invent the wheel when it comes to game mechanics. There are other 4x games out there too (like Eclipse) but they don't have the same kind of faction specific game play that I'd like to see in a SOTS board game.

Of course, just getting a group together to play Twilight Imperium is always a challenge. Maybe it'd be more successful if it did re-invent the mechanics and try to simplify them more.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:24 pm

we were working on a card game at one point

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Mecron wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:24 pm
we were working on a card game at one point
Is that Control?
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:37 pm

no it was an empire builder/space combat. Control is a planetary invasion game.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 am

Oh I see. Abandoned?
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

fivve

Post by fivve » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:37 am

In reference to what's on Kickstarter Ground Pounders was unsuccessful but The Pit and Control was successful.

Return to “SotS”