Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by ZedF » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:12 am

Kerb owns the IP but not the rights to the existing SotS games.

They don’t get money from sales of the existing SotS games because of the way the deal was set up, those games need to make a certain amount of money for Paradox to pay off for the investment Paradox put into SotS2 before Kerb could start getting a share. They never did due to problems during development, most particularly Paradox financial problems.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:36 pm

all of video game publishing business is based on the slightly insane concept of the publisher pays for the game to be made and THEN keeps everything until the devs small percentage earns out all the money it took to make the game...so in reality, the publishers spends nothing for the game while the dev studio pays for all of it with their royalties.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:40 pm

Mecron wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:36 pm
all of video game publishing business is based on the slightly insane concept of the publisher pays for the game to be made and THEN keeps everything until the devs small percentage earns out all the money it took to make the game...so in reality, the publishers spends nothing for the game while the dev studio pays for all of it with their royalties.
Well that seems perfectly reasonable... :googly:

No flaws with that system at all. :insane:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:50 pm

If your loan officer is entirely above board, then all well and good. If your loan officer actually turns out to be a loan shark instead... then things might not turn out so well. :P
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:57 pm

even if they are above board, it only make sense when the publisher is spending large amounts of their own money on things like advertising. But in this world of "let the internet spread the word", traditional publishing makes less and less sense for small to mid sized devs.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:58 pm

Mecron wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:57 pm
even if they are above board, it only make sense when the publisher is spending large amounts of their own money on things like advertising. But in this world of "let the internet spread the word", traditional publishing makes less and less sense for small to mid sized devs.
So reasonable if you are making something like Cyberpunk 2077 but not so much when you are making say the X games...X4 has no publisher listed but Egosoft. They were with Deep Silver for their previous game.

rytram

Post by rytram » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 am

Mecron wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:36 pm
come to think of it. this is how investment works in general. after watching "Shark Tank" i have a rudimentary understanding of the process. the investment is money to make your ideas actually happen whereas they may not be able to without the funding. what is fucked is how the videogame industry works. in the general case a publisher owns full rights to the IP (generally) and not a simple stake or royalties AFTER recouping the loan amount. more notable studios with an established reputation generally get better deals IE: Bungie+Activision vs Bungie+Microsoft.

i am still a believer in the potential of crowd funding. look at how much money the creators of Star Citizen raised via crowd funding($300M+). and i know, no one needs to mention the obvious here. that is a fault of their management not the funding source. another example was Frontier Development Elite Dangerous who raised $1.6m+ in CF even though that was less then 1/4 of the total development cost of the game. many games were funded by CF. im not sure but i think fortnite may have also been crowd funded at one point and Epic is now worth more than $17b.

it is all about communication and presentation. not only that but games nowadays are designed for longevity. which may be good for the franchise. every 6mo a DLC with something new like a new race, new tech, ship skins, etc. live service like servers for online play, hosted tournaments. whatever. hard to see a 4X game breach into the GaaS arena but if any could it could be SoTS lol. that being said. i doubt it. i just dont see RTS and 4X being GaaS material. but hay. Cid Meyer does a great job making Civ. no reason why Kerb cant come back strong. if everything played out right.
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 am

Call me crazy but I think BOTH the developer and publisher should share some risk if the game goes sideways.

It seems to work out that the publisher gets to totally recoup losses perpetually while the developer gets shown the door if things don't work out.

A good example of this was Iron Lore and Titan Quest. Titan Quest had a bad bug in it that made the game seem to pause while in fact the action continued not visible on the screen. The publisher stopped all development on the game and ushered Iron Lore out the door with no access to the dev tools or materials they would have needed to fix the game.

Everyone blamed Iron Lore. The publisher said nothing. It wasn't until some ex-Iron Lore guys formed Crate Entertainment and made Grim Dawn (also crowd funded)...a much superior game...that people realized that these guys were really good. Grim Dawn is an excellent ARPG and even to this day Crate Entertainment continues to improve it.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Please do not use an overt con as proof of crowdfunding...that's like using the Klan as your proof of the power of spirituality.

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Someone give me $70 so I can get this.

https://kitbash3d.com/collections/kits/ ... spaceships

So I can make some new ship assets... I can then release them as a mod...promise..
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Return to “SotS”