Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Space Voyager

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Space Voyager » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:34 pm

Slashman wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:08 am
Well now you've done it. You spilled the beans that you were the friend. That's bad luck and now it'll be another 5 years til a SOTSHD. :x
DOH! :yell:

:lol:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Wouldn't it be good if we could port the Sots2 models into Sots? It's a shame we can't get our hands on those files. Oh well, like you say maybe we have to just keep rubbing the lamp.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:38 pm

You will have to go rub paradox as they have the publishing rights to that art.

fivve

Post by fivve » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 am

Mecron wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:38 pm
You will have to go rub paradox as they have the publishing rights to that art.
I think we'd have more chance raising the Titanic......

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:20 pm

Mmm. yes. That's a very big lamp and probably has one of those big evil genies in it.. If only there was a map to the mythical woodshed..
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

rytram

Post by rytram » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:54 pm

I figured id pop in to see how things are coming along. Apparently, Kerb is still relying on sales from their shitty games to fund an actual good game. Aside from The Pit, nothing they have come out with since SoTS has been noteworthy. You will never get funding to build a big game this way.

Task some people to make a pitch video with some examples. some concepts. You know, like the rest of the industry does it. This is how you secure funding. Either that, or sell. You will never make the money by ransoming SoTS.

It is sad, really. All of us SoTS lovers have been dangling on your little fishhook for years. How long has this thread been live? Most of us are just waiting for you to go bankrupt and be bought out, because we know that is the only damn way we will get the ONE game we actually want. Not some stupid ass board game that would be lucky to sell 100 copies.

Give us a taste, and we will pay for the meal.

THIS entire website is only worth $1292.10. In fact. I feel like I would have more luck raising money on a gofundme to buy your entire company than to get you to actually make the game. You're like that old man fantasizing about your high school football days because you would have made it to the NFL if it weren't for that one bad play that damaged your knee.

SOTS is the only game we want. So make the game, or sell it to someone who will.
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

fivve

Post by fivve » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:05 am

rytram wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:54 pm
I figured id pop in to see how things are coming along. Apparently, Kerb is still relying on sales from their shitty games to fund an actual good game. Aside from The Pit, nothing they have come out with since SoTS has been noteworthy. You will never get funding to build a big game this way.

Task some people to make a pitch video with some examples. some concepts. You know, like the rest of the industry does it. This is how you secure funding. Either that, or sell. You will never make the money by ransoming SoTS.

It is sad, really. All of us SoTS lovers have been dangling on your little fishhook for years. How long has this thread been live? Most of us are just waiting for you to go bankrupt and be bought out, because we know that is the only damn way we will get the ONE game we actually want. Not some stupid ass board game that would be lucky to sell 100 copies.

Give us a taste, and we will pay for the meal.

THIS entire website is only worth $1292.10. In fact. I feel like I would have more luck raising money on a gofundme to buy your entire company than to get you to actually make the game. You're like that old man fantasizing about your high school football days because you would have made it to the NFL if it weren't for that one bad play that damaged your knee.

SOTS is the only game we want. So make the game, or sell it to someone who will.
wow......

Time will tell rytram, sooner or later... Time will tell.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:39 pm

Lol yep I think "wow" covers it;)

But on a more serious note, I think this is a good bit of insight into the patterns that unfortunately do infest gaming. Ry here feels entitled to be abusive cause he's had a bad day/month/year/life. Someone who behaves like this in public is more than capable of telling a level designer to commit suicide or a writer that she needs to have sex crimes committed against her. All because HE is displeased. Because things are not how HE thinks they should be, everyone else ceases to be a human deserving respect and consideration. But its ok to abuse us cause he liked something that we did at one time. The message is kind of clear. His love for one of our games entitles him to abuse us. And that love will be withdrawn instantly if he is not pleased.

Sorry to burst your bubble ry, but you are NOT reliable. You are not a fan. You are angry, abusive and looking for targets to vent that on. That's not a great foundation for a fan based movement. Sorry. And we hope you find someone to talk to and make it out of the space you are in right now.

Good luck,
--Signed the people who made a game you once liked a lot and who have appreciated your support but don't think that entitles you to lash out with abuse.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:58 pm

I feel like right now we kinda just have to accept that whatever comes on the SotS front is what comes, even if that’s nothing. Whatever fanbase that is left is well into the long tail and whatever word of mouth support we’ve been able to generate hasn’t been sufficient to move the needle enough. But Kerb has been able to keep the lights on thus far and where there’s life, there’s some level of hope. Maybe Zanz will someday come through with those millions he’s promised. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

fivve

Post by fivve » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:01 am

Unfortunately I don't think rytram understands the cost of a games lifecycle. In short a games lifecycle is about 5 years, 3 years to produce, which includes alpha and beta testing, 2 years of expansions and DLCs.
10 people at an average salary of 50K over 5 years is 2,500,000. Marketing at 50K over 5 years is 250,000. Do you build or license a games engine, cost vs time and that doesn't include other software licensing for things like Adobe, MS Office, PC hardware, office costs, utilities, etc, etc, etc. We are looking at a potential of 3 to 5 million and thats without even selling 1 copy. So asking Kerberos to sink that kind of money into a game upfront is a big ask and I don't think they got that kind of money sitting in a shoebox somewhere. So buying all of their other games and merchandise does help as it adds a little to the pot. Yeah, there is all kinds of things they could do to raise money but, its not that easy otherwise everyone would be doing it. It takes time and money to make money.

A prime example is Distant Worlds 2, that game must have cost in excess of 5 million and look at the response they got on release, people slated them for a few bugs and crashes on release. Quite a lot of those issues was down to poor computer maintenance. People running the game with out of date Graphics card drivers, ancient computer hardware.

Unless you have a few million spare or you know someone thats happy to donate a few million, we are just going to have to wait.

A SotS3 would be nice but SotS1 and 2 are still playable and they are brilliant games. I still play SotS2, as opposed to SotS1 as I like the weapon effects and the graphics are so much better to. All you need is a few modifications and its perfect.

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:17 pm

Say hypothetically...I got the itch for some winter modding... woodshed :googly:

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:19 pm

need some proper old good wood to keep a whittlin'..

Return to “SotS”