Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Post Reply
User avatar
fivve
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by fivve » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:26 pm

Sins 2 is on early access from 27 October, then it goes to Alpha, then Beta, then release. Possibly 2024 release.


So Mercon, what's your next project? Do you have anything releasing 2022 / 23?

Drexy
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Drexy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:06 pm

fivve wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:01 am
A prime example is Distant Worlds 2, that game must have cost in excess of 5 million and look at the response they got on release, people slated them for a few bugs and crashes on release. Quite a lot of those issues was down to poor computer maintenance. People running the game with out of date Graphics card drivers, ancient computer hardware.
You are on crack if you think DW2 cost 5 mil to make, that game was made by one guy with the help of the owner of Matrix, a few months they employed another person to help with the 3d engine, the fact he has pretty much fixed the majority of bugs on his own within 8 months, guess that's what you do when you are passionate about your game...

Mecron on the other hand is still acting childish when it comes to Paradox after all these years, even if it was all Paradox fault if he really care about SOTS he would approach Paradox to get the game back cos i doubt they even care any more unlike Mecron who's still can't get over something that happened 10 years ago. Telling fans to go talk to Paradox when they ask for stuff is beyond stupid as the only person who can settle this is him but I guess his pride will stop any SOTS 4x game to ever come out again.

I personally think this 'go talk to Paradox' reply is a excuse because deep down he knows his company doesn't have the will and passion to make another good 4x game, even if he isn't willing to do another SOTS game he could talk to Paradox about getting the source code/assets back and let the fans fix SOTS 2

User avatar
fivve
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by fivve » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:44 pm

Drexy wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:06 pm
fivve wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:01 am
A prime example is Distant Worlds 2, that game must have cost in excess of 5 million and look at the response they got on release, people slated them for a few bugs and crashes on release. Quite a lot of those issues was down to poor computer maintenance. People running the game with out of date Graphics card drivers, ancient computer hardware.
You are on crack if you think DW2 cost 5 mil to make, that game was made by one guy with the help of the owner of Matrix, a few months they employed another person to help with the 3d engine, the fact he has pretty much fixed the majority of bugs on his own within 8 months, guess that's what you do when you are passionate about your game...

Mecron on the other hand is still acting childish when it comes to Paradox after all these years, even if it was all Paradox fault if he really care about SOTS he would approach Paradox to get the game back cos i doubt they even care any more unlike Mecron who's still can't get over something that happened 10 years ago. Telling fans to go talk to Paradox when they ask for stuff is beyond stupid as the only person who can settle this is him but I guess his pride will stop any SOTS 4x game to ever come out again.

I personally think this 'go talk to Paradox' reply is a excuse because deep down he knows his company doesn't have the will and passion to make another good 4x game, even if he isn't willing to do another SOTS game he could talk to Paradox about getting the source code/assets back and let the fans fix SOTS 2

I might be on crack but your maths is terrible, so before you shoot your mouth off, think first. I'll keep it short. Direct and indirect cost. Hardware, software, licensing, marketing, utilities, wages, etc, etc, etc. How much do you think that would be over 10 years? In the millions.

Don't vent your frustration with Mecron on me please and don't make silly remarks about what I say. I am not your enemy.

I keep an eye on this thread, because I live in hope, just like a lot of other people.

As for Paradox, they only need them for SotS2. If Mecron wanted to do a SotS3 they could do it on their own. The problem could possibly be funding, but I got no idea.

For all you know Mecron could be doing an Eric and making a SotS3 on his own. As you say, it's been 10 years and that's what Eric done.

Drexy
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Drexy » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:41 am

fivve wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:44 pm

I might be on crack but your maths is terrible, so before you shoot your mouth off, think first. I'll keep it short. Direct and indirect cost. Hardware, software, licensing, marketing, utilities, wages, etc, etc, etc. How much do you think that would be over 10 years? In the millions.

Don't vent your frustration with Mecron on me please and don't make silly remarks about what I say. I am not your enemy.

I keep an eye on this thread, because I live in hope, just like a lot of other people.

As for Paradox, they only need them for SotS2. If Mecron wanted to do a SotS3 they could do it on their own. The problem could possibly be funding, but I got no idea.

For all you know Mecron could be doing an Eric and making a SotS3 on his own. As you say, it's been 10 years and that's what Eric done.
My Maths is wrong? what maths, the fact you think they have been working it for 10 years again you are wrong. the fact the stuff you are mentioning you seem to think that game was made by a team, the whole game was written from scratch by a single dev for MATRIX who you seem to think are a AAA publisher, I've actually interviewed Eric(Elliot lets Eric speak for him, he doesn't do interviews) multiple times and many other small dev's who make 4x/Strategy games and spoken to many of them off the record about such thing's so I have much more clue about this then you do.

I've given up any hope that we will see even anything SOTS 4x again, Mecron hasn't the passion, the talent or the skill to make such a game in this day and age, maybe you should accept that instead of pulling silly figures out of the air to make excuses for him. The fact that this thread started before DW2 was even in deployment pretty much tells you all you need to know.

User avatar
fivve
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by fivve » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:35 am

Drexy wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:41 am
fivve wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:44 pm

I might be on crack but your maths is terrible, so before you shoot your mouth off, think first. I'll keep it short. Direct and indirect cost. Hardware, software, licensing, marketing, utilities, wages, etc, etc, etc. How much do you think that would be over 10 years? In the millions.

Don't vent your frustration with Mecron on me please and don't make silly remarks about what I say. I am not your enemy.

I keep an eye on this thread, because I live in hope, just like a lot of other people.

As for Paradox, they only need them for SotS2. If Mecron wanted to do a SotS3 they could do it on their own. The problem could possibly be funding, but I got no idea.

For all you know Mecron could be doing an Eric and making a SotS3 on his own. As you say, it's been 10 years and that's what Eric done.
My Maths is wrong? what maths, the fact you think they have been working it for 10 years again you are wrong. the fact the stuff you are mentioning you seem to think that game was made by a team, the whole game was written from scratch by a single dev for MATRIX who you seem to think are a AAA publisher, I've actually interviewed Eric(Elliot lets Eric speak for him, he doesn't do interviews) multiple times and many other small dev's who make 4x/Strategy games and spoken to many of them off the record about such thing's so I have much more clue about this then you do.

I've given up any hope that we will see even anything SOTS 4x again, Mecron hasn't the passion, the talent or the skill to make such a game in this day and age, maybe you should accept that instead of pulling silly figures out of the air to make excuses for him. The fact that this thread started before DW2 was even in deployment pretty much tells you all you need to know.

The only thing you have highlighted is the fact that you know nothing about a products life cycle.

In 2019 they said the game has been in development for the last 4 years, its 2022, that's 7 years later, I'm pretty sure the game will be supported beyond 2025. So yes 10 years.

A team is not limited to the person making the product, in this case Distant Worlds 2. Slithering was part of the team to, they published the game. Feel free to go through the credits of Distant Worlds 2, and I can bet there will be more than 1 contributor on that list. Like I said, a team of people was involved in the life of Distant Worlds 2.

As I said, Mecron is one guy and there is a lot of resources required in creating and publishing a game. He may be experiencing difficulties in or more of those areas, I don't know. But what I do know is all the verbal abuse in the world isn't going to change a thing.

If making a game was that easy, we'd all be making them.

Anything else you want clarification on? Or would you like to vent your frustration some more? Either which I don't mind. As long as it helps you sleep at night.

User avatar
Space Voyager
Posts: 3547
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:23 pm

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Space Voyager » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:08 am

As far as I know, Mec has been busy at the new Homeworld.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

User avatar
Slashman
Posts: 2282
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:39 am

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Slashman » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:15 pm

Space Voyager wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:08 am
As far as I know, Mec has been busy at the new Homeworld.
Wait what? What does the new Homeworld have to do with this...and is Mecron actually working on it? :?:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja
Posts: 12634
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:13 pm

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by ZedF » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:57 am

Yes… Mec has been the lore / story guy (or at least part of that team) for a long time now.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Post Reply

Return to “SotS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests