SotS Update 1.8.0 Details

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

White Raven

Re: SotS Update 1.8.0 Details

Post by White Raven » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:54 am

Melfice_Cyrum wrote: I dunno, should I purchase the collection myself just to get the new maps?

No.

You should buy it to support Kerberos' continued endeavors in quality game-forging! (the maps, avatars and splash screens are just gravy)

Is it possible to play in someone's game who's using those maps if I don't have them myself?

Yes.

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

Melfice_Cyrum

Post by Melfice_Cyrum » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:19 am

Heh, well, I'll have to wait and get some money first then ;)

amtie

Post by amtie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:39 am

Don't forget, Complete Collection is the newest one, not Ultimate Collection. Just fyi...

Melfice_Cyrum

Post by Melfice_Cyrum » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:34 pm

amtie wrote:Don't forget, Complete Collection is the newest one, not Ultimate Collection. Just fyi...

Ah yes. I knew this much, I just forgot the name of the specific collection, thank you though.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:21 am

Complete Collection maps will be 'beamed' to you if someone else is using the map and you join in however you cannot start a game with those maps.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:31 am

For those of us who love the game, but can't afford to buy the complete collection (i want to, but reality is cruel...) will the exclusive maps be sent out as a later update at any point? Or will they be forever exclusive? I don't expect them soon, you understand, just looking for the shiny golden wire of hope...:)
"Go for the eyes Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!"

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:44 pm

That is what happened with the exclusive maps that were included in the BoB collectors edition. All the CE maps were added for everyone when AMoC was released. My guess is that the maps will be added at some point (maybe as late as the release of SotS 2), but until we hear something official, it's only a guess. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Well, I shall live on in hope that mecron will show map-related mercy...;)
"Go for the eyes Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!"

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:47 am

*rises from the dead*

Welp, I always said that if they put out a new boxed copy with everything in, I'd buy it all over again. I think this makes 4 now, not counting gifts and various download editions... I'll just have to make do with the new patch till it arrives :D
Holy jumping weasel fritters on a hot cross bun!! Look at that!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:29 pm

sub...seriously...3 maps...considering how much else got given away for free in the 1.8 update and how we fought for that despite the fact it did undermine collection sales tremendously, I think we can stop worrying about 3 map shapes out of the wad you already have.

Carch

Post by Carch » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Now I'm confused. The three new maps are Sinusoid, Mountain and Helix? Those are not showing up in my Complete Collection install that I bought from Amazon last night. :(

Everything else seems to be working the same as the Steam version with the 1.8 GamersGate patch applied to it. The new scenario is there. Is there something I need to do to unlock the new maps with the Complete Collection install?
a.k.a. BadKen, badkenbad on YouTube, Steam and LIVE.
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Nope - when I got CC installed from GamersGate I had the new maps showing up fine... (I did use my CC key instead of one of my other keys when I installed CC if that makes a difference).
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Carch

Post by Carch » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:21 am

Yeah, I used the Amazon downloader and I used the key that they gave me on my Amazon "My Games" page. I guess I'll take it up with Amazon.

I wonder if the fact that I still had a Steam version of the game installed at the same time screwed me up. Maybe I should try uninstalling everything and then reinstalling just the CC from Amazon. Does SOTS leave goobers in the registry after it's uninstalled?

EDIT: That was indeed the problem. After uninstalling the Steam version and reinstalling the Amazon version with the key Amazon gave me, the new maps are showing up. I wonder what other goodies await...

So a word of advice to anyone who got frustrated with Steam's anti-SOTS-1.8 policy and bought the Complete Collection elsewhere: UNINSTALL THE STEAM VERSION FIRST. Apparently SOTS doesn't like being installed twice. Even if you bought it four times. (In my case, original game, collector's edition (for the book), ultimate collection, and now complete collection!). :D
a.k.a. BadKen, badkenbad on YouTube, Steam and LIVE.
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

zedlaz33

Post by zedlaz33 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:12 am

Mecron wrote: how we fought for that.

who are you fighting with ?

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 am

Paradox their publisher. You don't sell as many CCs if you give half the bonus content away for free. Paradox is a business and like all businesses they want to sell as much of their product as possible, anything that undercuts that goes against common business logic. Not to say that that logic is always right, I'm sure the free content in 1.8 was chosen specifically because it is a teaser for SotS][, and why the non-teaser content like bonus maps remained CC exclusive. In this case the free content did undercut CC sales but will most likely help bolster SotS][ sales, and so constitutes a good business move.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Return to “SotS”