SotS Update 1.8.0 Details

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

niplfsh

Re: SotS Update 1.8.0 Details

Post by niplfsh » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:47 am

Well, I see we Steam users got screwed out of another patch. :roll:

Nspace wrote:
Arghy wrote:Goddamn i tried to DL the 1.8 patch because steam is taking its sweet time and its pretty much impossible. Does anyone have a link to the patch? i dont want to install a huge patcher that i'll never use again to DL a 154mb patch.

Note that using the GamersGate version of the patch on the Steam install of the game is officially unsupported, though it might still work. :) nickersonm posted the two links to the GamersGate version of the patch:

http://patches.gamersgate.com/sots-1.8. ... -cand3.exe

or

http://nickersonm.com/sots/sots-1.8.0-e ... -cand3.exe

There is no downloader with those links, just the 154mb self-extracting zip/install of the patch. Just clicking on the above links will start your download in most cases, but you could also right click on the link and click "Save Link as..." (or "Save Target As...") to save your download if you are trying to run the patch directly from the net instead of downloading it. You may also want to make sure that your browser always asks you if you want to either run or save a file when clicking a link, so you can tell it to save the above file to your local hard drive.

I can't get this to work... are those of you who got this working using some kind of trick to get it to patch? I'm just running the patch file... it unzips, runs for a minute, then gives me a "patch failed" without overwriting any files. I'm directing the patcher to my steam\steamapps\common\sword of the stars directory.

In the patcher window it says:
"Updating sots_local_en.gob...
C:\(temp file path)\sots_local_en_gob-1.8.0-patch.pat
No suitable patches were found"

Perhaps someone could give me some "unofficial" advice? :thumbsup:

Mannerheim

Post by Mannerheim » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 am

Unless you have Windows XP, run it in administration mode

niplfsh

Post by niplfsh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:05 pm

I don't use UAC. Everything is in administrator mode.

It's really kind of frustrating that I bought this game and get zero support from anyone for it (developer, publisher, distributor). I own about 60 games on Steam and this is the only one I've had issues updating.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Sorry niplfsh, I'd like to help more, but I don't have the Steam version of the game. Still, I'd post a thread in the Technical Support part of the Forum. You might get some good advice from others who pay more attention to threads over there.

As an aside, you should really save your frustration for Valve and Steam. Kerberos finished the update and released it to the publisher back in May. The Publisher then gave it to all the download sites, including Steam, right after that, which puts the delay totally on Steam. Everybody but Steam has been able to get the update out there in a timely manner, so I'd say that if you want to get the official Steam patch, yelling at them will get you the best response.

And if this is the first update delay that you have seen from them, consider yourself lucky. Steam is notorious about being slow to post updates for non-AAA games.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

niplfsh

Post by niplfsh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Yelling at Steam is a waste of time, as I learned waiting for 1.7.2. I opened a support ticket, which they responded to about 2 weeks later with something to the effect of "the publisher has to send us the patch and give us permission to release it."

I wouldn't even care if the GG patch version worked, but I can't get it to work.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:58 pm

niplfsh wrote:Yelling at Steam is a waste of time, as I learned waiting for 1.7.2. I opened a support ticket, which they responded to about 2 weeks later with something to the effect of "the publisher has to send us the patch and give us permission to release it."

I wouldn't even care if the GG patch version worked, but I can't get it to work.

AFAIK, which I admit isn't a whole lot, Paradox has already sent them the patch.
I dunno I may be wrong.
But if you are willing to pony over cash one last time, GG has been very reliable for me.
I would suggest just re-buying the game from GG and leaving steam to the dust.

Zai

Post by Zai » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm

niplfsh wrote:Yelling at Steam is a waste of time, as I learned waiting for 1.7.2. I opened a support ticket, which they responded to about 2 weeks later with something to the effect of "the publisher has to send us the patch and give us permission to release it."

I assume you've already tried it on a fresh install? That worked for me after I opened the game up once after reinstalling.

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:04 pm

So Steam finally released the 1.8.0 patch last night and I just wanted to take a few lines to thank Kerebros and the devs for the consistent high quality patches they release for the best 4x I've ever played.

I won't wax poetical but the fact that you identify and actually fix bugs puts your product and your company out ahead of your competitors in my eyes. That you actually take the time to add meaningful features and content in patches as well as expansions has pretty much made me forget that other 4x titles exist.

Thanks and v/r,
feld

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Many thanks for the kind words, feld, and I'm also extremely happy to hear that Steam users have the latest update. :) Thank you for being the sort of player that makes all the work worthwhile. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 pm

feld wrote:So Steam finally released the 1.8.0 patch last night and I just wanted to take a few lines to thank Kerebros and the devs for the consistent high quality patches they release for the best 4x I've ever played.

I won't wax poetical but the fact that you identify and actually fix bugs puts your product and your company out ahead of your competitors in my eyes. That you actually take the time to add meaningful features and content in patches as well as expansions has pretty much made me forget that other 4x titles exist.

Thanks and v/r,
feld

I second that, the level of interaction and respect that they show us is orders of magnitude higher than a certain company that shall remain nameless <<cough cough>> EA <<cough cough>. I'm also certain should a patch come out that breaks the game ever make it out somehow, the gamers wouldn't be blamed for it <<cough cough>> cnc3game.dat error! <<cough cough>>.

<<goes back to waiting for "Deacon's Tale" to pop up at local bookstore>>

niplfsh

Post by niplfsh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:45 pm

I don't want to take credit or anything, but I wonder if this might have kicked them in the rear over at Steam:

1 « MESSAGE BY YOU ON THU, 5TH AUG 2010 12:29 PM »
The 1.8.0 patch was released in May and still has yet to be released over Steam. This same thing happened with the last patch. The developer says that the patch was released to distributors, and Steam is the only one who has yet to distribute it. What gives? This is ridiculous. I can't play with anyone who has the update. Maybe I'll just stop buying games through Steam.

2 « MESSAGE BY JESSE ON THU, 5TH AUG 2010 5:39 PM »
Hello James,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Patches for third party games can only be distributed through Steam once the following two actions have occurred:

(1) The Publisher has provided us with the necessary files
(2) The Publisher has given us permission to release the update

The latest patches will be released as soon as possible, and will be downloaded automatically when available.

If you have questions about the availability of a specific patch, please contact the support department for the game in question.

Your patience is appreciated, please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 « MESSAGE BY YOU ON THU, 5TH AUG 2010 7:39 PM »
Yeah, thanks for the form response. That's the exact same thing you told me LAST time there was a patch issue. Isn't it a bit odd that the patch was released by every single other distributor of the game EXCEPT Steam, and that the developer says that the patch was sent to Steam? A patch that was released 3 months ago? I'd appreciate if someone could actually look into it instead of sending me a form letter. Thanks.

4 « MESSAGE BY YOU ON THU, 5TH AUG 2010 8:03 PM »
Another thing: you guys are actually selling the "complete collection" which is patched to this latest update, but customers who bought the original game and the Argos Naval Yard expansion separately are left without it.

Then they closed the ticket, and suddenly a patch shows up. :)

Incidentally, I did manage to get it working before Steam released it by doing as Zai suggested and redownloading it (thanks). Ran the patch and it didn't work, then ran the game once and the patch worked. Finally rocking some 1.8.0 goodness now :)

Arigas

Post by Arigas » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:47 pm

When the next patch comes out, I'm likely going to just buy the complete version from GG so I can get patches 3 months before I would on Steam lol

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Arigas wrote:When the next patch comes out, I'm likely going to just buy the complete version from GG so I can get patches 3 months before I would on Steam lol

:lol:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Walmart Tango

Post by Walmart Tango » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 pm

feld wrote:So Steam finally released the 1.8.0 patch last night and I just wanted to take a few lines to thank Kerebros and the devs for the consistent high quality patches they release for the best 4x I've ever played.

Thanks and v/r,
feld

Yeah what this guy said, actually adding content and tweaking the base AI is the kind of thing most devs would only do in a DLC or a sequel, if at all. Rules.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Well t obe very honest...our attitude is that, while it would be wonderful if everything in a zillion lines of code ran perfectly the first time, if we are gonna pop the hood and do some work on the ol girl, we might as well add a blower and maybe put new plugs in while we are there. The main thing to remember about Kerberos is that we just do say we are gamers...we ARE the full meal deal...and as such, how could we ever resist making our games bigger and better? We wanna play them too! :)

Return to “SotS”