Black 14?

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

falcongrey

Black 14?

Post by falcongrey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Ok, with all the time I've been playing this game... there is one thing I have yet to figure out as a google search only makes it more confusing. :evil:

"Colony ships under attack. It's black 13!" (or 14... google search is just as empty or confusing)

What the heck is this in reference to :?:
It's not that we stood or fell that matters, but that we stood and faced it.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: Black 14?

Post by Nspace » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:01 pm

This comes from the background fiction, specifically "The Deacon's Tale" in the CE. Essentially, Solforce assigns a code name to unexplained or unknown phenomena. Zuul (specifically assigned to the Slaver Raid in "The Deacon's Tale") and Morrigi (specifically assigned to the Colony Trap in "The Deacon's Tale") were Black 13 and 14, respectively, when they were still random encounters.
Last edited by Nspace on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Nspace wrote:This comes from the background fiction, specifically "The Deacon's Tale" in the CE. Essentially, Solforce assigns a code name to unexplained or unknown phenomena. Zuul and Morrigi (specifically assigned to the Colony trap in "The Deacon's Tale") were Black 13 and 14, respectively, when they were still random encounters.

AAahhhh!!! Finally! A light in the darkness! Thank you! :thumbsup:

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:05 am

And since I dug out my copy of the book and am now re-reading it, :) I'll pass along a few more tidbits:

At the opening of "The Deacon's Tale", SolForce Intelligence Corps (SIC) has six operational sections, each dedicated to a different subject, with a seventh section about to begin operations.

Red Section - These Operatives specialize in the language and culture of the Tarka military fleets (and by inference, even non-military matters) and serve as consultants during contact situations. SIC uses red as the color for the Tarkasian Empire in it's map projection.

Yellow Section - These Operatives specialize in the language and culture of the Hiver military fleets (and by inference, even non-military matters) and serve as consultants during contact situations. SIC uses yellow as the color for the Hiver Imperium in it's map projection.

Blue Section - These Operatives specialize in the language and culture of the Liir military fleets (and by inference, even non-military matters) and serve as consultants during contact situations. SIC uses light blue as the color for the Liir in it's map projection.

Green Section - All Signals officers above the rank of ensign and commanders of Scanning vessels are either members of or trained and certified by Green Section. Recommended for SolForce personnel looking to join an exploratory Task Force. SIC uses green as the color for SolForce in it's map projection.

White Section - Overseeing the transport, incarceration or disposal of non-human sentients, this section has a strong relationship with the Research and Development Corps. Recommended for SolForce personnel with an interest in xenobiology.

Black Section - Any encounter that cannot be assigned to any known race is placed under the jurisdiction of this section. Their orders are to investigate all ships and phenomena on the "Black List" maintained by SolForce Command. Both the Hiver and Tarka maintain their own version of the "Black List". The book also infers that Black Section is a powerful behind the scenes force within SIC.

Trade Section - Just being formed, it's orders are to infiltrate and place operatives on as many trade routes as possible, with the goal of collecting the information that flows along with the flow of goods. SolForce personnel with a background in the outer colonies, in civilian transport roles or with past experience as pilots, gunners or mechanics are preferred for the ability to blend in more easily on the frontier.

By the end of the book, the head of White section is suggesting the formation of a new Section to deal with the Zuul, possibly giving it the name of Purple Section, but nothing is decided. The White Section head also suggests that Red, Yellow, Blue and the Zuul section be broken off from SIC and formed into their own Corps.

I haven't gone looking in the races forum to see if there are any updates to how SIC is organized or to see what sections are assigned to the Zuul and the Morrigi, I'm just posting what was in "The Deacon's Tale". I do hope that more info on the make up of SolForce and SIC will be available in SotS ][, though I'd really, really love to see another book from Arinn. It's really hard to put her stuff down. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

hargert

Post by hargert » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:27 am

Does anyone have a list of the what the different Black desgnations are that we know of?

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:33 am

:( I want a copy of The Deacon's Tale....

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:06 am

hargert wrote:Does anyone have a list of the what the different Black desgnations are that we know of?

there used to be one floating around these here forums at one point.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

bbacher

Post by bbacher » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Having bought the Complete Collection through Steam, I don't have a copy of that book or any others that came out.

Are they available somewhere? Perhaps electronically?

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:37 pm

You should still have manual(s) in the game's installed location though the book (only one to my memory) was ONLY available from the boxed Collectors Edition.

It has apparently been more difficult than expected to get the novel published stand alone.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Kimori

Post by Kimori » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Profound_Darkness wrote:You should still have manual(s) in the game's installed location though the book (only one to my memory) was ONLY available from the boxed Collectors Edition.

It has apparently been more difficult than expected to get the novel published stand alone.

Sadness. I'd really love to read the book.

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Kimori wrote:Sadness. I'd really love to read the book.

You and me both... :cry:

AeonofHorus

Post by AeonofHorus » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Its been a liitle bit since I have been in these forums. If the devs dont see a problem with it. Some one who has it can make a scan of it and make it a .PDF.

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 pm

They should just make it an ebook and sell it online. :)

AeonofHorus

Post by AeonofHorus » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:17 am

thats a good idea i'd buy it

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:20 am

there was some broo-haha about publishers as I recall. I'm not sure though.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Return to “SotS”