Black 14?

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

brotherswing

Re: Black 14?

Post by brotherswing » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:02 am

I'd buy it in a heart beat!
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein -

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:20 am

AeonofHorus wrote:Its been a liitle bit since I have been in these forums. If the devs dont see a problem with it. Some one who has it can make a scan of it and make it a .PDF.

I seem to remember a suggestion like this being raised in the past and I also remember the suggestion being ill received by Ms. Dembo - The writer of the book.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

AeonofHorus

Post by AeonofHorus » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Well as suggested a purchasable online version would do fine

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:31 pm

AeonofHorus wrote:Well as suggested a purchasable online version would do fine

I think that was what the author was against... (ebook phobic)
It's not that we stood or fell that matters, but that we stood and faced it.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Just to clarify the issue: it's not that I'm against an ebook or a POD version of the book. The problem is, once you start the process of sending a book out to potential publishers, you cannot publish it yourself in some other format until they have had a chance to review the material. It would be rude, unprofessional, and counter-productive in the long run to throw the book up on Lulu or whatever now. So I have very little choice but to try and be patient with the process, and I can only apologize to the people who would like to buy a copy and say that for the present, it is out of my hands.

So far as phobias go: there are actually pirated versions of at least two of my previously published stories (that I know of) available at some of the torrent sites and forums where people exchange SF fiction. I do not actively encourage piracy of my work, obviously. But I also don't actively hunt people down over it. When the work is no longer in print, what other options do they have? I assume they just want to read the story, not that they are malicious or trying to "rip me off" in any way.

At any rate. Believe me, I do hear the people talking who would like a pdf to read. Please see my "writes for charity" thread, stickied at the top of this forum, for an announcement on that subject. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 pm

I seriously appologize for being rude and understand.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm

No problems, falcon, I didn't mean to imply that you were rude. I may have given a detailed explanation of the book's current state of "limbo" previously, but it doesn't hurt to explain it again. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think I am against e-books or reader technology in general!

--Arinn

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:21 pm

It would be nice if they would simply allow it to go mainstream so more could buy it. Is there any plans of other books like it or would Kerberos have any problems if I or another wrote a story based on the SOTS universe?

Edit: ----------------------

Just found and wondered into the Fiction forum. :thumbsup:

Um... already guilty of the #1 suggestion.... :shock: *digs through file after file of unfinished stories some 3 or 4 chapters deep with the exception of one story.*

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't let people read it until it is done as your suggestion states. :)

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:04 am

Erinys wrote:....I may have given a detailed explanation of the book's current state of "limbo" previously.....
--Arinn

Is this "limbo" of which you speak like Nodespace? :mrgreen:

In all seriousness though, I really reaaaaaaally wanna get my hands on that book :thumbsup:

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:20 pm

I think a lot of people do...

KilsonX

Post by KilsonX » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Can any one list for me the Blacks # and there corresponding Race/Event.

Thanks

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:54 am

There are a couple of posts buried back around the time AMoC came out...

But nothing really definitive.

So I'll give it a shot:

Black #1: Hivers
Blacks #2 + #3: Tarka and Liir ('Second Contact' Trailer)
Blacks #4 - 9: Swarmers (Silicoids), Alien Derelicts, Asteroid Monitors, Von Neumans, System Killer, Puppet Master (Vanilla SotS Random encounters and Grand Menaces)
Blacks #10-12: Spectres, Locusts, and ? (BoB randoms and GM's)
Black #13: Slavers/Zuul (Random from 'Update' to full race in BoB)
Black #14: Morrigi Scouts, Colony/Mining Traps and Morrigi Ruins (T'alos) becoming Morrigi Race (BoB randoms then AMoC Race)
Black #15-18: Refugees, Peacekeeper Enforcer, Herald?, ?
Black #19: Suul'Ka (Lords of Winter)

Ok, so I gave it a shot. I am missing a couple and I don't know what order Solforce would put some of them in.

Also, I don't know if they would give separate numbers to Berserkers Or VN Construct...

For that matter the Herald is Suul'ka/Zuul.

Left Asteroids off because well, natural phenomenon.

Anyone able to help me refine it?

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:13 am

Black 1, Black 2 and Black 3 were the first Hiver bodies recovered after the attack fleet of Obsidian Crown was driven out of the system by Earth's defenses. The humans recovered the partial remains of a Hiver Warrior, a Hiver worker and a Hiver Prince while sweeping the debris left in orbit. The bodies were given these designations during the autopsies because all three of them, related by blood to Obsidian Crown, had been born with strong black markings.

Their outward appearance and structural differences were so extreme that at first the biologists working with them were not certain that they were the same species. Once the DNA was analyzed, it became clear that they were all wildly different variants of the same species, and Black 1, 2 and 3 were renamed "Hivers" because of their superficial resemblance to insects.

Black 4 was the Silicoids, and Black 5 was the Silicoid Queen. Black 6 was the first contact with an aggressive Von Neumann device.

Black 7 and 8 were the Tarka and the Liir.

Black 9 was the first sighting of an Alien Derelict. Black 10 was an Asteroid Monitor. Black 11 was a Puppetmaster. Black 12 was the System Killer.

Black 13 was the designation for the Zuul menace when they were simply known as "Slavers" or "Rippers".

Black 14 is the Colony Trap, and Black 15 was the Tholos tomb of an ancient Morrigi warlord.

Black 16 was the first Von Neumann Berserker. Black 17 was a Locust sighting. Black 18 was the Spectres.

Black 19 is the Herald.

Black 20 is whatever hit the Argos Naval Yard and took the SFS -1 Leviathan with all hands without firing a shot.

Black 21...is the beginning of the end. :twisted:

--Arinn

White Raven

Post by White Raven » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:23 am

:shock:

Boy, was I off...

But you can't get a better refinement than that.

Thanks, Erinys!

:D

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

TriNova

Post by TriNova » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:26 am

Doh! We've been thinking the whole time that the Suul'Ka are actually fighting in their ships. We forget that they are known to enslave entire species. Whats not to say that they don't fight through proxy by using an enslaved species? Granted, the Zuul somewhat take that place in SotS ][. But who's to say that the Suul'Ka will actually even be in "their" ships. Perhaps they're just the administrators and commanders of the war and leave the lesser races to do the fighting for them.

Return to “SotS”