Read Me First

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

ivra

Read Me First

Post by ivra » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm

This document shows the essentials of Sword of the Stars (SotS) with as few words as possible. It is meant for newcomers to the game that wants to jump right into it and start playing.

Setup

Setting AI to Easy makes the game easier, but as shown in the next picture an alternative is to boost your own race instead. Use both for a really easy game.

User Interface

Notice the star in the fleet name “Alpha Fleet *”. All ships you build will end up in this fleet. That is what the * means, it is the receiving fleet of your newly built ships. If no fleet with a star in its name exists, a new one will be created.

Colonization
Do not colonize every planet you can live on; at least not in the beginning of the game. The cost of the planet is what you have to pay each turn. A colony starts to earn money once the population is large enough and the Climate Hazard (CH) is close to zero.

Many of the techs in biological tech tree improve terraforming. Some also increase the tolerance of your race so that you can live on higher CH worlds than what you could when you started the game.

Notice that the planet looks different depending on the CH, so they can be easily distinguished.

You have to build colonizers (1 is ok only for low CH worlds, use many colonizers otherwise) and send them to the planet to create a colony there.

Terraforming is finished when CH = 0 and Infrastructure = 100. The sliders allow you to specify the focus, but 50/50 is generally fine. Generally, focus on Infrastructure for low climate hazard worlds (like this one), and on Terraforming on high climate hazard worlds.
Last edited by ivra on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: Read Me First

Post by Rorschach » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:51 pm

I like it! :thumbsup:

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

CnC
Understanding the use of the CnC ship in SotS is vital to master SotS. It is not until you create fleets commanded by command ships, that you can utilize all the power of a good attack.

The first thing you need to do is to research Battle Computer in order to open up the Squadron CnC mission section. The Data Synergy and Armada Command Systems techs work in a similar way. The difference is that they let you command even bigger fleets as the CnC mission is unlocked for the cruiser and dreadnought classes, respectively.

The next thing you need to do is to design the CnC destroyer, by basically selecting the Squadron CnC as the mission section, like this. (The ships in this chapter are Hiver ships)

Then build at least one CnC ship and some other combat ships (the standard armor will do nicely). It is a good thing to include more than one CnC ship in a fleet. The reason is that if it is destroyed it will immediately be replaced by another CnC ship and you will still be able to command your fleet.

When you have built a fleet that contains a CnC ship you can easily recognize it from other fleets since it will have a star in the top right corner.

The next step is to set up your fleet. Use the fleet manager to do this.

Notice that you can specify the position of every ship in the first wave. When a ship (other than the CnC ship) is destroyed, it is being replaced by the ship in the top most position in the reinforcement list. Put your colonizers, tankers and other utility ships in the end of the reinforcement list. This will prevent them from coming into battle (unless you are losing a lot of ships).

The command point specifies how many ships you can control in a battle. A destroyer CnC ship allows you to control 10 ships since each destroyer requires 2 command points.

When the battle begins you will see that your fleet arrives exactly as you have placed them in the layout.

The red rectangle shows the ships from the layout. The three extra ships in the ellipse represent a bonus you get when having many more ships than the enemy. The bonus becomes greater the bigger the difference. The bonus ships are taken from the top of the reserve list, so it is always a good idea to have several combat ships in the reserve list.

Now you are ready to fight your enemy. But, be warned. Even with a full destroyer fleet like this, you will probably lose a lot of ships if you attack the home world of another player, or any other relatively large and fully developed world.
Last edited by ivra on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Trade
In order to enable trade you have to research FTL Economics. Trade will give you a significant boost to your income.

This will enable the trade screen. Each white vertical line represents a trade route. Each trade route can have a maximum of 5 freighters. You need to design the freighters before you can build them.

Techs
The pictures below show some vital techs in the game, and where they are located in the tech tree.

Notice: Point Defense Tracking is a random tech, so you might not have it.

Power Techs
The Power Technology tree is important since the three core techs FissionDrive, Fusion, and Antimatter represent the three tech stages in the game. A lot of techs will not become available until you research Fusion. Then again, a lot more become available when you research Antimatter.

More Info
SofS has its own wiki-page with all the info you need. Check it out:
http://sots.rorschach.net/Main_Page
Last edited by ivra on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Nice work Ivra :thumbsup: Just be aware of the fact that the more pages it goes on for the more likely the very people who need the help are to tune out. Sadly manuals suffer from the same fate. My only suggestion would be to make the first version SUPER-distilled essence of FAQ...and then move onto a second, more complete stage.

The SotSpedia will try and follow such a system.

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 pm

I agree, and I am done now. I hope it is short enough :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:13 pm

its great...I hope it gets its own special wiki place so we can link it in message of the day. Consider yourself Dawg pointed :thumbsup:

jp161

Post by jp161 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm liking this!
Hopefully someone *wink wink* manages to sticky this AND the new people bother to read trough this.. They should tho, extremely good info you put up there!

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Sadly, many seem to be sticky-blind, so that might actually be contra-productive... rocks and hard places -.-
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Indeed! Very good job. :thumbsup:

Although:
ivra wrote:...

This will enable the trade screen. Each white horizontal line represents a trade route. Each trade route can have a maximum of 5 freighters. You need to design the freighters before you can build them.

Pretty sure those are vertical white lines. :wink:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:58 pm

I'll put a link to it in the strategy forum archive when I get home. :thumbsup:
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:00 pm

erdrik wrote:Indeed! Very good job. :thumbsup:

Although:
ivra wrote:...

This will enable the trade screen. Each white horizontal line represents a trade route. Each trade route can have a maximum of 5 freighters. You need to design the freighters before you can build them.

Pretty sure those are vertical white lines. :wink:

Me too. And it is fixed :)

RELee

Post by RELee » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 am

For what it's worth, I like it. I'm one who always has ideas to do something like this for the gaming community, but never get around to it. I would just rather play the game. Selfish and self-centered, I am.

amtie

Post by amtie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Yes, I wouldn't be able to stay up past 3am (according to the Windows 7 screenshot) working on anything. :thumbsup: Unless that's in 12 hour format. :roll:

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:22 pm

I disagree with playing liir or tarkas first as they both have unique racial issue to deal with such as how to avoid slowing down passing a star. How to change move order mid-flight with tarkas.

Human would be better than liir certainly in some ways but otherwise good start.

Return to “SotS”