Read Me First

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

White Raven

Re: Read Me First

Post by White Raven » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:17 am

I believe the suggestion to play Tarkas first comes from the fact that their mode of travel is the easiest to understand from the beginning.

You are correct in that there should be a caveat about them not being able to change direction in deep space without Hyperspace Comms.

Humans have the restriction/advantage of nodelines... and the intricacies that come with that (not being able to change orders mid-line or trip, for orders that take more than one node but have already been started. Also, the whole not being able to complete a node that is longer than the range for the vessel. "My scouts can make that jump, why can't my colonisers?!?!").

I don't know if I would recommend Liir as a starting race, maybe second or third. While they do travel directly, there is that whole 'slowing down near a gravity well' thing and the need to focus on Biotechs early because of their being so picky about CH.

All in all, Ivra, you have done a fine job of compiling some of the 'need to know' but sometimes easily missed details.

It should be of help.

Especially for those who don't suffer from 'Sticky Blindness'

:thumbsup:

--WR
"This landing is gonna get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'Interesting'."

"OH, God, OH, God, we're all going to die?"

LaDoncella

Post by LaDoncella » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:04 am

@ivra, good job but it may be worth to mention that salvage tech needs cruisers first.

ivra

Post by ivra » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:37 am

LaDoncella wrote:@ivra, good job but it may be worth to mention that salvage tech needs cruisers first.

Good point. I have updated the picture to include the information.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:14 pm

Mordachai wrote:All of the drive techs have advantages & disadvantages. Humans are impossible to redirect mid-flight, period. Tarkas start out that way but can be made to be more flexible later.

Personally, I would think that the only things to warn about when choosing your first race is "Probably not Zuul." Hivers need to be explained, but that's a one liner "Their fleets travel < 1 light-year per turn, slowest in game, but can jump between worlds that they've setup a gate at (generally all non-hostile worlds they've visited)".

Don't forget the part about gate capacity and cruiser gate are not unlocked until cruiser/fusion/Gate amplifier. Well this is becoming quite the biggest guide to Starship Racial Engine eh?
:bangdesk:

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:54 pm

I know this is shown in the messages list at the main game screen, but IMHO you should add that you can (and should!) use multiple colonizers (in a narrow temporal interval) on anything worse than low CH worlds. That has been a surprise for me when I first started playing.

Also, add that in combat ships won't follow your move orders and will engage on their own unless you set them on normal stance.
Plus that your ships won't fire on ships of another player until you tell them to stop hold fire once.

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:47 am

BlueTemplar wrote:I know this is shown in the messages list at the main game screen, but IMHO you should add that you can (and should!) use multiple colonizers (in a narrow temporal interval) on anything worse than low CH worlds. That has been a surprise for me when I first started playing.

Also, add that in combat ships won't follow your move orders and will engage on their own unless you set them on normal stance.
Plus that your ships won't fire on ships of another player until you tell them to stop hold fire once.

I think you are right. I do not want to make it too long, but I added a picture of the combat screen to the User Interface section in the very first post. I also added specifically that multiple colonizers can be used.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Very nice, very succinct. Really seems to hit all the core stuff that is commonly asked... :)
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Tranquillitatis

Post by Tranquillitatis » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:04 pm

ivra wrote:The first thing you need to do is to research Battle Computer in order to open up the Squadron CnC mission section. The Data Synergy and Armada Command Systems techs works in a similar way, but allow for even more ships since the CnC mission is placed on a cruiser respective a dreadnought instead of a destroyer.

Well done, ivra!

Not trying to be a nitpicker or a grammar nazi, but the italicized phrase makes no grammatical sense to me. Because I've played the game, I think you're saying that as you climb the CNC tech tree you can put the CNC section on increasingly large ship classes and command increasing numbers of ships. But if I were a newcomer I don't think that would be clear.

Just my attempt at constructive criticism.

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 am

The first thing you need to do is to research Battle Computer in order to open up the Squadron CnC mission section. The Data Synergy and Armada Command Systems techs work in a similar way. The difference is that they let you command even bigger fleets as the CnC mission is opened up for the cruiser class respective the dreadnought class.

Better?
If so I'll edit the original post.

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:59 pm

ivra wrote:The difference is that they let you command even bigger fleets as the CnC mission is opened up for the cruiser class respective the dreadnought class.

Suggest:
The difference is that they let you command even bigger fleets as the CnC mission is unlocked for the cruiser and dreadnought classes, respectively.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Perfect, thanks and fixed.

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 pm

You know, I'd managed to somehow miss this thread a few weeks ago when I first started playing. Just bringing my attention to the multiple colonizer thing made a startling difference this last game...

Xmasbeer
Hates Achievements achievement UNLOCKED!

Post by Xmasbeer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:33 am

Interesting point about AI set to normal instead of easy.

I am pretty new and I have a question about AI behaviour. What does change when AI is set to a more difficult level? Will they just spam more ships? Will they research dreadnought quicker? Will they actually engage more tactically, or will they just try to counter your weapons more quickly?

Otherwise a good guide, it's not too long as some might say because it's all pictures. Having pictures instead of walls of text has the psychological effect of "short and simple" feel to it.

Illanair

Post by Illanair » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:20 am

From what I've noticed in my own games (I've been off the game since Born of Blood was in the works), is that the AI seems to build A LOT more ships. Expect them to field attack and defense fleets of up to 50-80 DE's before turn 100 in worst case scenario. Something which took me completely by surprise compared to my games on Easy.
bowtiefighter wrote:From my doctorate degree in self taught scifi, im guessing it would make just pretty fireworks.

amtie

Post by amtie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:27 pm

It increase their economy's scale. At Easy, their economy is at 50% strength, and at Hard, 150%. However, the research scale also increases by the same amount. Thus, tech research increases by the factor of both (having the advantage of both an economy boost and the research boost).

The inverse is true of difficulty settings on your position.

I don't know whether there's any special case when swapping your position for an AI's mid-game.

These are IIRC values, although should be accurate.

Return to “SotS”