Game fact, that are not on wiki

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

fredNN

Game fact, that are not on wiki

Post by fredNN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 am

In SotS1 some (important) data is known only to those, that read forum careful. I collected some. Please add your.
EDIT: when we finish, please will someone update wiki with those fact?

---
Game setup
- Random event set to 0% will also disable VN and Grand Menace
- to play as some other player, at game load screen drag icon of your race over race you want play.

Technology
- Add Recombinant Fissionables or Plasma Focusing to Tanker and Refinery ship to add 30% fuel.
- VRF tech decrease reload time also for all torpedo and missile.
- Zero-G Deconstruction do not give "Triples effectiveness of scuttling".
- Modular Construction give only Q-Freighter, but not 5% increase in civilian income generation.
- Xenotech research bonus from Morrigi languages doesn't apply.

Race
- Hiver have population growth bonus on planet with gate in orbit.
- Liir have additional 50% bonus to research.
- player of human race can move his ship to any planet he own, if ship start from trade sector (no need for node line)

Combat
- Computer player is not programmed to avoid minefield
- Planet of friendly race (NAP or ally) can in combat not be damaged by your weapon (no "accident" remove of population).
- Direct fire torpedo (Photonic, Disruptor, Gluonic...) do not lead target. To hit with them, torpedo ship must be close or target not moving.
- Bio Missile and Assault Shuttle must be launched manually (click shuttle/missile, then click planet)
- Liir ship can not be pushed back/away by any ballistic weapon
- it is possible to salvage armor tech from Asteroid Monitor. This is only tech that can be salvaged from any random event.
- Corrosive and Nanite Missile have area effect larger than it is visible in battle.
- Hiver can disarm derelicts with minimal work and no costs: just gate to derelict 2 gate ships, nothing else, and autoresolve combat. They disarm derelict in ~90% cases. Repeat next turn, if not.

"Not working"
- Detonating torpedo do not have area-damage effect
- Computer player is not programmed to build CR freighter, Devourers, gravboat, Ramscoops or Asteroid Monitor
- Commerce Raiding has VERY low chance to happen, but computer player do not "know" that and send LOT of ship to raid
Last edited by fredNN on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 am, edited 11 times in total.

fredNN

Re: Game fact, that are not on wiki

Post by fredNN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 am

I may add another line, but need to wait what the Special project will give me.

I destroyed Asteroid Monitor from enemy AI over planet of NAP AI (only Monitor and my ship were in combat) and got industrial Special project. I think it will give me Quantum Resonators armor. Will report.

EDIT: I salvaged Quantum Resonators armor. Happened first time in around 100+ battle with Asteroid Monitor. So it is possible to salvage armor tech from it. 8)
Last edited by fredNN on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:10 pm

-Stealth Armor doesn't work in Strategic (haven't tried in Tactical), while in theory it's supposed to halve the detection range.

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:-Stealth Armor doesn't work in Strategic (haven't tried in Tactical), while in theory it's supposed to halve the detection range.

It DOES work in Strategic since one of the latest patches. At some point I had a test save to confirm it.

To add to the list:

- Xenotech research bonus from Morrigi languages doesn't apply. Confirmed bug.
I.e. starting as a Morrigi if you met an Independant early, currently it takes 20+ turns to tech to Incorporate while it should be 5+ turns.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Also, AI doesn't build Devourers or Ramscoops (no biggie, just for sake of completion :) )

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Nor gravboats!

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:32 am

R2dical wrote:Also, AI doesn't build Devourers or Ramscoops (no biggie, just for sake of completion :) )

You sure? I think I did see hiver use Ramscoops one or two time. Can someone else confirm that?

To ALL other, who did add fact: THANK YOU! :D

Gibimus Prime

Post by Gibimus Prime » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 am

Nice thread, good call. I still play this game from time to time, and I'm always forgetting some of the little stuff.
Someone's dirty, naughty hands have been here.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:46 pm

R2dical wrote:Also, AI doesn't build Devourers or Ramscoops (no biggie, just for sake of completion :) )

Well, if that is true, all for the better. Devourers would be great if they did not only build DEs.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:39 pm

fredNN wrote:You sure? I think I did see hiver use Ramscoops one or two time. Can someone else confirm that?

Yep tis true. Any .shipsection file with the "ramscoops true" is disregarded by AI ship designer, for an understandable reason.

There is no inclusion of the Devourer in the AI reference files, so the AI doesn't even know its there, probably because there is no coding for how it's to use it.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:22 am

R2dical wrote:
fredNN wrote:You sure? I think I did see hiver use Ramscoops one or two time. Can someone else confirm that?

Yep tis true. Any .shipsection file with the "ramscoops true" is disregarded by AI ship designer, for an understandable reason.

Thank you. Will correct my post.

Another thing I noticed: I did never see AI use better Bio Missile like Retro Plague, but when I look in AI turn I did see AI has Beast Bomb and Assimilation Plague researched. Did anyone ever see AI use better missile like Retro Plague?

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:00 pm

I haven't. Or don't remember seeing it.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

ivra

Post by ivra » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:11 pm

fredNN wrote:
R2dical wrote:Another thing I noticed: I did never see AI use better Bio Missile like Retro Plague, but when I look in AI turn I did see AI has Beast Bomb and Assimilation Plague researched. Did anyone ever see AI use better missile like Retro Plague?

The AI is using Assimilation Plague against me regularly, especially as Liir or Morrigi. It is easy to tell since the colony always converts the turn after the missiles land.

I just opened a save game as the Liir AI player and confirmed that it had indeed designed Bio cruisers with Assimilation Plague. If you need proof just tell me to upload the save game "Human_Hard_GalCol_350_0.sav". The ship designs are called "Biima Bo Mk 11" to "Biima Bo Mk 18".
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 pm

ivra wrote:
fredNN wrote:
R2dical wrote:Another thing I noticed: I did never see AI use better Bio Missile like Retro Plague, but when I look in AI turn I did see AI has Beast Bomb and Assimilation Plague researched. Did anyone ever see AI use better missile like Retro Plague?

The AI is using Assimilation Plague against me regularly, especially as Liir or Morrigi. It is easy to tell since the colony always converts the turn after the missiles land.

Thank you!

Another question: can AI "decide" it need Advanced Sensor if it is attacked by ship that use Cloaking and Improved Cloaking?

I ask because in some my game where one AI used Cloaking on other AI, this other AI never started research Advanced Sensors. I am see this in this game where ally Liir use Improved Cloaking to destroy many Tarka fleet and planet, but Tarka just research more and more weapon. :?
If AI can not react to Improved Cloaking, I will disable it in my tech tree.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 pm

There is a file you can look at: /Data/Strategy/AI/affinity_section.csv (IIRC).

This file "registers" a ship section with the AI as well as define what purpose the AI must build it for as well as how to use in combat. More info in my thread in the modding section, here.

I can't recall if the deep scan section is registered under a special "purpose" there off the top of my head, but a good idea if it isn't (even if it is), is to register DE and CR DeepScan commands under "cnc_aid" purpose along with normal CNC sections. This will make AI build cnc ships with deepscan commands :)

In there you can also find files defining "counters" and tech priorities for research, again more info in my AI thread.

In keeping with this topic, if you find any ship/tech/weapon sections missing or incorrectly entered in the stock files then you can add to your list ;p
Been a while since I dealt with the stock versions so can't think of any others at the moment.

Return to “SotS”