Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by Mecron » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:15 am

lol no I did not say 10 million...I said thats what it would cost a mainstream dev to make it. We could do it for around 1.4 give or take;)

We also have a board game translation out on steam a few weeks ago and another for xmas...cause folks need safe board game nights these days!

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:10 am

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

rytram

Post by rytram » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:37 am

Mecron wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:14 pm
Exactly what I was going to say, Zed ;)

And Ryt, I respect your enthusiasm but yeah, saying we are averse to crowdfunding may be a clue that you are not always doing the research ;)
i may be mistaken there. i could have swore that we discussed crowd funding near the beginning of this thread years ago and that you dismissed the crowd funding option due to it not being reliable or something to that nature.

i Dont want to comb through 1000's of comments just to find it so i'll withdraw that statement. but not the whole argument.
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

rytram

Post by rytram » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:47 pm

sometimes you realize something that makes you feel stupid because you cant believe you never realized it before.

i always wondered why SolForce ships had that ring on their drive tech. then i realized that it was (probably) based on the "Alcubierre" Warp Field design.

LMAO

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:50 pm

No..... it’s because it’s based on a sensor ring. Tarka drive is most similar to an Alcubierre warp drive.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:09 pm

But hey don't feel to bad Rytram... Cause it,s not real. Really.... So its what ever you imagine it to be :googly:
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Or, you know, you could respect what Erinys & Mec have previously had to say on lore-related topics like this... for instance by looking up Blasky in the lore book...
Zed's TARs (sample):

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:52 pm

So if you want to pick hairs was it the high-energy resonance beam or the sensor array..

I personally always thought it was a bit of a smack in... 'The Mote of God's eye'

rytram

Post by rytram » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 pm

ZedF wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:50 pm
No..... it’s because it’s based on a sensor ring. Tarka drive is most similar to an Alcubierre warp drive.
Yes. the Tarka resembles the Star Trek design of the warp drive. but that is the "Zefram Cochrane" design which was later improved upon by "Henry Archer" those designs look like the Tarka Drive. i am referring to the REAL designs of the Alcubierre Drive which uses rings. as shown here >>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHAaoTMrc3A

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:25 am

Also sots predates the popularity of the Aca drive idea.

rytram

Post by rytram » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:49 am

Mecron wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:25 am
Also sots predates the popularity of the Aca drive idea.
well. it is an interesting coincidence.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:54 am

we thought it was pretty funny when every science show started doing mock up of ships one could argue were sots ships;)

rytram

Post by rytram » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:24 am

i just thought of some other idea.

this is mainly regards to creating a custom game.
  • for random encounters have a popup window where you can (de)select which Grand menaces may show up.
    individual sliders for random encounter type. AD, AM, swarm, col trap, etc.
  • set an option for whether or not players want to use the trade system or not. if deselected, planetary income is increased.
  • set games rules such as No DN's, No DN CNC's, ONLY DN CNC's (no other DN type allowed), No Anti-matter Era, No Bio-Weapons, Etc.
  • i would also like an option to beef up ships. something like base health and armor tech bonuses would scale in factors of x2, x5, x10 but the cost of ships would scale equally. i would name this option "TANKY SHIPS". this would make for smaller more meaningful engagements and no popping ships like they're knats flying into an electric lantern LMAO.
just some rules that allow players to have more freedom in customizing their matches. Supreme commander has a similar system and i LOVE it. for example if there were a "No Game enders" option id argue that heavy lasers and post fusion special mounts would Qualify. things like projectors and the sort.

Curious what other people would think about this

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:14 am

You don’t want to overload the UI or give the average player choice paralysis by adding too many options to the screen. Also you don’t want to give the impression that the designers don’t have a vision for the game they are making, and you don’t want to overload the game testers or the game AI with too many permutations and combinations.

The thing I’ve seen done that seems to make sense regarding ideas for options is to have a limited amount of the most important options in the UI that are fully supported, and throw all the extras into a config file where those interested can dig them up and play with them as a modding-type option, which might not be as fully tested and come with a big ‘use at your own risk’ sticker.

For some of those ideas like not using trade or not using certain ship types, you can just decide as a player or as a group of players not to do it; you don’t really need the game to enforce it. The AI might not obey those rules, but you can tune the difficulty level to your preference to make up for it. I often self-impose restrictions on my play style in addition to cranking up the difficulty when I am adding challenges to my games.
Zed's TARs (sample):

rytram

Post by rytram » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 pm

i understand what you're saying, but i have to strongly disagree. Player freedom is everything and simply saying "make your own rules" isnt good enough, especially when you are playing with random people over the internet, which i assume will be a feature of this project.

As i explained. it HAS been done before. Supreme commander. a game even older than SoTS has this feature already in its advanced options during the process of setting up a game in matchmaking. ill post some screen shots.

https://imgur.com/2omXg5L
https://imgur.com/mR8R9XP
https://imgur.com/6TpDOYG

you believe such options may "overload" the AI but i think but from playing this game it was never an issue. additionally setting some of these options not only limits the amount of units in the game to choose from but setting some of these options can save trouble with the game engine bogging down later in the game. so it is in fact beneficial. that being said this game and SoTS are run on much older engines that were limited by the 32bit engine which couldnt address more than 4gb of RAM thereby causing late game issues. IIRC.

Return to “SotS”