A Film Series for Sword of The Stars? Repost From SoTS 2

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Urillch

A Film Series for Sword of The Stars? Repost From SoTS 2

Post by Urillch » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi! My name's Urillch The following is a post from The SoTS 2 forum section. I was posting in here as well because I know not a lot of people fly into the other one. Without further ado here you go!

Hi there Sword of the stars People! My Name is Urillch(In forums). I'm a freshman in college currently trying to enter a military academy. My father was an editor, and I learned many skills from him, and currently I am enrolled in some film and media classes. I don't come on the forums too often mostly because I didn't know about it for a long time :roll:. But Recently I've taken a fascination to the SoTS Universe! So I've been dabbling around with the idea of making like a little series on the Sword of the Star Universe. I wanted to focus on ground combat forces and some of the ethos of the Human species. I plan on using the "Sword of The Stars II/Sword of the Stars I" and "ArmA III" (modded with the God knows how many Sci-Fi Mods[To be included later thou]) games to record most of the filming. I'm not expecting this to be a blockbuster or anything, but I'd love to see the Sword of the Stars Universe cinematically, and see new faces in the game! Which comes to the reason why I'm posting! Ia m somewhat looking for Dramaturgs to help me in forming it in the way our beloved " Erinys" had portrayed it. You see I do not have too much time on my hand to research a lot of the information but I have got a good chunk of it, and I wish to build off that. There no release date or anything of due to a constant changing schedule, but I am putting a lot of time into it. I have created some pieces of music and had recently upgraded my software to better voice editing and video quality in the filming process. All I want is this to be community driven! Ya know? Like character names, Ships names, planet names and all sorts of things like that. Also critical, Lore fact checking! I would hate to making something that deviates from the game soo much! This project is going to take some time because of its a one man thing, but I have a lot of people at my school helping me in making this look as professional as possible! This project would be my first serious film, so you know there going to be a lot of dedication put into it. But overall I would really appreciate community input I will try my best to implement as much as possible! :D THANKS FOR READING!! :D
I rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6.

Itharus

Re: A Film Series for Sword of The Stars? Repost From SoTS 2

Post by Itharus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:14 pm

Pick up the games "SOTS: The Pit" and "Ground Pounders" -- both have a lot of SOTS lore in them. These forums also have scores of pages of lore. Ground Pounders and The Pit are both ground-based SOTS games, and GP is literally a wargame -- so that'd be your best bet for figuring out where to go from there. The Pit will be helpful with some of the more esoteric tech and what not.
Go Hiver or go home!

marshb

Post by marshb » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:57 am

Dont forget to read The Deacons Tale. :awesome:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:16 pm

I was thinking about getting the two ill drop by steam and get them. Also I've recently purchased the deacons tale and already found many errors in the current approach that I was taking. I' all got in contact with Eryrins and her patron to see if I could get a version of the lore book. Thanks for the replies and help.

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:38 am

OK here goes my first question. So I have got some of the ground combat scenes done and some dialogue but now i trying to decide between SoTS Prime or 2. Now I have received information saying that SoTS Prime is good to use done to the high modding capabilities that it has but since this is more ground and people focus I don't know if that will be needed. Then there SoTS 2 with the good looks but it going to be hard to get certain scenes like Black List Objects due to (at least in my gameplays) the Ghost ship one being the only thing I get.[ I know that less naval station can rid the problem but a lot of the scenes talk place in that station and I am trying to keep the same planet background with the station. Thanks for reading!

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:08 pm

I have compiled a video comparing the two. I would like to see which one people approve of the most.

https://youtu.be/u2Qd7yhIz70

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:38 pm

On what basis are you wanting to make a choice?
SotS2 probably looks better for most purposes but might be harder to compose any arbitrary scene/shot. So if you are wanting to do a lot of different scenes it might be better to do it in SotS1. But you said most of the action is on the ground & presumably using Arma. So if you only have a couple space scenes and you don't think they will be that difficult to arrange, then you might use SotS2.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:46 am

ZedF wrote:On what basis are you wanting to make a choice?
SotS2 probably looks better for most purposes but might be harder to compose any arbitrary scene/shot. So if you are wanting to do a lot of different scenes, it might be better to do it in SotS1. But you said most of the action is on the ground & presumably using Arma. So if you only have a couple of space scenes and you don't think they will be that difficult to arrange, then you might use SotS2.

Yea Major update Since Arma doesn't support facial expressions that much I am thinking of using a little more space scenes in the project itself. I want to get the story across, but I don't want to lose the audiences attention.

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:20 pm

Sorry guys there was a major pause in the making of this. Work and school had me weeded but now I've resumed the creation process. Currently working on intro for the films and voice acting.

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Ok y'all, things have taken a turn for the better-worst. So I'll start off with the bad news. I've currently started school again which is good for me but not the project and have been recently promoted at my job taking more time away from the project. The medium news is I've compiled a ok script but currently don't have a lot of voice actors, but that's soon to change hopefully. Ok the better news. So I've ditched the arma idea for ground scenes and have started to learn source filmmaker. So that will add waaayyy more time to the project but it should come out more aesthetically pleasing. Boom, so that's my update thanks for reading!! :any:

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Tue May 30, 2017 6:37 am

Alright so before I start, I'd like to say sorry for not posting in forever, but a lot of things have popped up in my life. But this is an update not twitter so I'll keep it pertained to the project. So in the update seen above it shows that I've been learning source filmmaker who is correct I have been. But there is a little situation with the outdated version of map making that the system has which turns me away. So I started looking and looking until finally, I came across a little something called Unreal Engine 4. Now, this thing is powerful and my college provides an online course from Linda to learn this software at a professional level. So, I have decided to switch over to Unreal Engine! THIS IS THE LAST TIME I CHANGE PRODUCTS! I hate pushing this back-back but as stated this is my first time trying anything at this caliber! But, that is more of a concern that I have to deal with not you. Also, I have started saving up for a Motion Capture home studio I will be creating! I should have the funds by the end of this year and will start making the animations for the film! I don't know how many of you have seen the power of Unreal Engine 4, but I'll post some links on how the product should be looking scene wise.

2015 Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFpdx1wDOoU

2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC6Xx_jLXmg
(Don't mind all the game element I will not be focusing on those)

Now a little disclaimer, you'll prob see a lot of reused assets in this film. Because I am no Modeller, I don't know how to model; I don't have the funds to pay a modeler currently. But expected some realistic looking animations! Now I am going to try my best to get a hold of a modeler to get the officers correct, but other than that don't expect Hiver models. There is a significant possibility of Zuul but for the other races.. well we are going to have to see how that goes on down the road. Alright, then that concludes this update. The next one I should be able to post some video/pictures of scenery/background I plan to have the film take place on, Thanks for Reading!

marshb

Post by marshb » Tue May 30, 2017 1:38 pm

Thank you for the update! :D
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:02 pm

OK! The forums are back!! Yippeee!!! I told you guys my next update will have progress and here it is! This post is a copy from my Reddit post! I will be made available on both now just in case anything happens to the website!
From: https://www.reddit.com/r/sots/comments/ ... sots_film/

Hello there! My name is Joel. Since the main forums are down, I'm going to try to shift most of my updates here. I have a small amount on the forums, but no real progress was posted. BUT, today I do have something to show! After a few days of learning the game engine and 3ds max, I have finally figured out the best way of exporting the models from the game itself! This morning I got a typical early tier human cruiser out, but I wanted to post a design view of it here:

SoTS Armor Cruiser: https://sketchfab.com/models/f2f2976b05 ... 2056cfe3c2

I will update this profile with more models I extract from the game and add a few things to them here and there. I would have got the models from SoTS 2, but I have to look into more, but I will most likely update it here. There is much work to still be done that is a fact since the Unreal engine will be powering this I don't want to have a big graphical difference between space battles and ground battles. (If you do not know Unreal has a gorgeous look to it compared to the old SoTS game. But ill figure something out) Alright thank you for reading, and if you have any advice or want to have and features, please message or comment below. I need as much help as I can. Thanks again!

To add on to that, I have a few more models to show! :lol:

Nova Maria[Colony ship]:
https://sketchfab.com/models/382397b6e0 ... 5600f34be3

Police Cutter:
https://sketchfab.com/models/64a12533e7 ... 39fa90580d

Tanker:
https://sketchfab.com/models/2dce90b8a3 ... 51e18cba96

More to Come!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:52 am

nice work!

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 pm

So, this is not a real update just asking for opinions! This post is about the Title/Logo I came up with tonight! Tell me what you think about it!
Link:
http://imgur.com/a/pzPvZ

The words of at the bottom are different colors to their respective planet. Ex. B=Merecury, L=Venus, A= Earth and so on. There are also eight blades in the background all hilts following the same order as the letters. The swords play a crucial part through out the series. Oh, and did I tell you it's going to be a series? From a Reddit comment,

Q:
Wow, thats so cool!
Could you elaborate on the title? As in, what does film mean?
Nevertheless, really cool to see the models, would love to see things like an asteroid monitor or puppetmaster

A:
Ahh, what I am focusing on is the central conflict of the AI revolution. Im going off the lore timeline so you could get a general understanding there. The film will concentrate on the marine forces of the Sol Force with some Vac-forces as well. The races that I plan to be making appearances are the Zuul, liir and hopefully Tarka. Since the AI revolution is occurring around the same time of the Zuul encounters, there is going to be a lot of action going on. I plan to have not just one big movie but many short films focusing on each person's life. Since this is my first time attempting this, I hope to improve from each one by listening to feedback and such. EX. Story board one's idea was to focus on a Sol Force ship commander. Then the next chapter on a Sol Force Marine. Etc. Eventually having them all meet up. Of course, this is all still on the drawing board, so if there are any suggestions, please tell me. I mean this project is for you the fans I would love to tailor it in a way all can enjoy! [edit: Grammer]

BTW: I am going to stream my progess if you wish to stop by say hi or have suggestions great! My Twitch name is Urillch!

Thanks for reading!

Return to “SotS”