Tech Tree Java App - Updated 12/9/10

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
ignus

Re: Tech Tree Java App

Post by ignus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Cool program!
GammaPaladin wrote:Zuul Meson Projector boats would be utterly frightening, considering the number of projector hardpoints their projector boats get, and the firing arcs. That's probably why the chance is so low.

Luckily the zuul are the best at salvaging technology :D
A big, long game with a variety of opponents often means that I get most of the weapon technologies as zuul.

xRei

Post by xRei » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:09 pm

Indeed.. because Zuul have their salvaging, they are probably actually the third most likely to get it, behind Morri and Liir. Kinda funny that way... Then again, they have to actually SURVIVE in a fight against these things to salvage them, though. : p
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:45 am

Ha, Ark returns with an awesomely upgraded version of the tech tree reference sheet.

I'm definitely gonna give this java app a try sometime this week.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:09 am

I've updated the program so it doesn't require you to extract files from your SotS data. It just needs to know where the SotS install folder is and it figures it out. The best part is that it only asks once then remembers it.

You can still load custom data files using an option in the menu. However, once you choose a SotS installation, that is where it will load its data by default whenever you start, so you'll have to load your custom data manually each time.

CmptrWz wrote:BTW, I don't think it would be that hard to make the code version (or #/name of races) independent. Did you want some help pulling that off?

It turns out I found a pretty good way to make it expansion level agnostic... if not completely race ambiguous. It still expects whatever races your version does have to show up in the tech tree file in a particular order, and it won't work with any additional races than the original 6, but at least you don't need multiple versions for each expansion :)
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

Darloth

Re: Tech Tree Java App - Updated!

Post by Darloth » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:29 am

Hey, can I request a summed research cost line as well?

Just (hah, 'just'!) something to add up the cost of researching this tech, all previous techs that lead to this, and any 'requires' lines (a separate entry for cheapest and most expensive would be good, alternatively just an average)

I feel kinda wrong for asking for such a spreadsheety tool, but I'd like to look at them.

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:00 am

That could be tough... as a tech could have multiple sources and it's sources multiple sources before them... I'm not sure there's an intuitive way to present that kind of data.
-Arkalius

xRei

Post by xRei » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:25 am

Ark, you saying that made me think "Yeah.. like the link from Battle Comps to Expert Systems, for example.." .. And then I suddenly remembered....

NOT ANYMORE. D ;
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:59 am

Well, the straight forward "this tree" cost is easy enough and I've love that to begin with, but it doesn't take requires into account. If you don't want the hassle of calculating every requirement as well, just the simple sum of all techs immediately under it in the current tree?

So if I have Energy-Red-Green-UV-XRay-Phaser-PD Phaser open, it would sum the cost of that string of links and display it under PD phasers.

Obviously you'd get a different sum depending on how you reached a tech.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:31 pm

You'd have to consider something like Quantum Chaff, which has 3 different research paths all in the same tree...

Probably I'd just either pick the minimum research cost and advertise it as such, or pick the highest probability path and advertise the cost of that as such. Or both. :D
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

tenchifew

Post by tenchifew » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:21 am

Great tool Arkalius, me likes a lot :) !

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:24 am

It's a really good feeling to know that my program is the answer to life, the universe, and everything...

-Arkalius

Mysterius

Post by Mysterius » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:44 am

Arkalius wrote:It's a really good feeling to know that my program is the answer to life, the universe, and everything...

... and now even more! (#43 here) :thumbsup:

Dar25

Post by Dar25 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:15 am

Make that 184! :shock:

Good Job there, Ark!

Desrtfox071

Post by Desrtfox071 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:01 pm

First off, sorry to necropost.

I was wondering, if Arkalius is still around, if we could get a "search" feature for the techtree java app.

please?

Alternatively, I'm a pretty good java programmer, so if you were willing to release the source code...

Anyway, thanks for a great app :)

Arkalius

Re: Tech Tree Java App - Now with Search!

Post by Arkalius » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:09 am

Ask and you shall receive...

I just uploaded a new version with search functionality. See the original post for the new download :) Let me know if you think the search could be improved at all...
-Arkalius

Return to “The Tech”