Real Life Node Drive?

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
halo07guy

Real Life Node Drive?

Post by halo07guy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:57 am

I was reading Physics of The Impossible by Michio Kaku, and his description of the Alcubierre Drive sounds very similar to the Node Drive, especially in that it can't create new traffic lanes, and requires a preexisting one.

"Since Alcubierre first proposed his theory, physicists have discovered a number of strange properties. The people inside the starship are causally disconnected from the outside world. This means that you cannot simply press a button at will and travel faster then light. You cannot communicate through the bubble. There has to be a preexisting 'highway' through space and time, like a series of trains passing on a regular timetable. In this sense, the starship would not be an ordinary ship that can change directions and speed at will. The starship would actually be like a passenger car riding on a preexisting 'wave' of compressed space, coasting along a preexisting corridor of warped space-time. Alcubierre speculates, 'We would need a series of generators of exotic matter along the way, like a highway, that manipulate space for you in a synchronized way.'"

Is this what the Node Drive is based off of?
Your world can end in the blink of an eye. One event, one unexpected twist of fate... and suddenly the world as you knew... is gone. Forever. All that you held dear, all that you held close... is washed away in a sea of distant memory. Life... is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. But life continues on... with, or without you. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy.

R.I.P. Allison Mohney and Jared May

whatamidoinghere

Re: Real Life Node Drive?

Post by whatamidoinghere » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:08 am

The Alcubirre Drive is not really a node drive, but a warp drive. It stays still relative to its own little bubble of warped space, while the bubble moves through normal space very, very quickly.

A road is only necessary if you can't generate the warp bubble by yourself, thus needing outside help, a la Space Rangers.
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:05 am

But wouldn't the bubble itself be incapable of moving FTL, thus rendering the properties of the space inside of it a moot point? In order for a Warp Drive to work, the bubble must be generated by the ship, or no FTL travel is possible according to our current understanding of relativity.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 pm

It's a warp drive in the sense that it warps space. It doesn't matter if the ship's warping space, or some outside entity is.

The thing is, the bubble doesn't have to move FTL. It's a region of warped space; moving 1 LY means moving 50 LY outside. Remember, speed is relative, so you don't see yourself moving while inside.
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

Clarity

Post by Clarity » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 am

all we have to do is put the entire pie graph yellow so we can get it faster!
{[(hiver player)]}

Sargeross

Post by Sargeross » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:53 pm

If ya wanna know what the Node Drive is based on, I reckon its a rip off of the Alderson Drive from "The Mote in Gods Eye"

Basically works exactly the same way, with the exact same restrictions etc. The only difference is that in the Alderson Drive, the Lines are created by"Lines of equipotential thermonuclear flux between stars" as oppose to gravitational shear lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderson_drive
http://sots.rorschach.net/FTL_Drive_Technology

summary:

Both run between points and downlines
Both were discovered by accident
Both have there entry points generated by stars
Both are means of ridiculously fast travel
Both provide FTL communication by sending messages down the Lines
Both seem to have random Line generation IE they don't always link to the star next to them, so you can get huge patches of unknowns and some
inaccessible stars. In fact that's actually one of the main plot devices in The Mote in Gods Eye.

So yeah. The Node Drive is basically the Alderson Drive made to look like the star gate. :D

Thats why I like the humans!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:51 pm

2 problems with your theory...While I picked the human method of the travel, its been literally 30 years since i read motes and had forgotten everything but their funny lil hands....and while Ms Dembo is the one who wrote the backstory for the drive systems, I know for a fact she never reads niven and pournelle. But otherwise, good one :thumbsup:

Return to “The Tech”