Is AI rebellion a random Event

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:26 am

The ONLY way to reinstate AI benefits after an AI rebellion is to research the AI Slave tech.

AGoetz

Post by AGoetz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:40 am

Example (as based on my understanding):
Get the AI techs if the first place - celebrate.
Research the AI techs without a rebellion - celebrate, don't touch the Virus tech (if you got it) until someone else's rogue computers infect your's.
OR
REBELLION - crush the upstart machines, research the Virus if you can.

No rebellion + no Virus = nice helpful AIs boosting everything and giving that nice Command Section.
No Virus in any rebellion case = no independent AIs permitted in your Empire, so no bonuses.
Rebellion + Virus or you research Virus before a rebellion - Virus wipes out the AIs - so no bonus. But you also won't get a rebellion (if researched prior to a rebellion).
Virus researched and offered Slaves - you get your nice enslaved AIs giving you bonuses and Command Sections.

Personally I've yet to get an AI without a rebellion and have not yet gotten the Virus, let alone the Slave tech. Most of my games I don't even get offered the base AI tech.

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:44 am

You have it exactly right.

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:45 pm

From reading this topic, it seems that an AI rebellion is nearly a given once you start researching any of the AI topics. Is this the case? (I can't use my own experience, I've only gotten to that point once so far, and yes, I got the AI rebellion just after getting AI Administration.)

If the AIs will rebel, then what's the point of researching them? Is the bonus worth losing worlds (I lost 5) if you're only going to get the bonus for a few turns before having to build from scratch new colonies? I'm leary of researching the techs at all if the rebellion is a certainty regardless of what I do and there's the chance I won't have any counters (virus or slaves) besides glassing those worlds.

EntropyAvatar

Post by EntropyAvatar » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:53 pm

Iridium wrote: I'm leary of researching the techs at all if the rebellion is a certainty regardless of what I do and there's the chance I won't have any counters (virus or slaves) besides glassing those worlds.

Well, it's not a certainty. I've researched AI command a couple of times and haven't seen the rebellion yet.

Chernobog

Post by Chernobog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:53 pm

In my current game I have AI fire control and AI administration, and no rebellion yet. Also no link to virus and no regular fire control, with all-ballistic as my favored warship design, so I'm terrified of trying to develop AI factories.

magitek

Post by magitek » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:37 am

Researching the virus when there's no rebellion does NOT remove any bonuses, but it does appear to eliminate any chance of future rebellion.

In my current game (as hivers), I got the virus as an offshoot of the base AI tech. I researched it first, then proceeded to take 20 turns each to research the others and never had a rebellion. I have no slave tech, but I am able to use the AI ship sections and I receive a boost to output/income from the techs.

SSgtScott

Post by SSgtScott » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:12 am

magitek wrote:Researching the virus when there's no rebellion does NOT remove any bonuses, but it does appear to eliminate any chance of future rebellion.

Not quite ture, I had an AI rebellion the same turn I finished reserching AI virus so nothing hapened but i still lost all AI beifits.
Field promoted to 2nd Lieutenant, Dawg Force Testing Brigade
"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." -Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:24 pm

SSgtScott wrote:Not quite ture, I had an AI rebellion the same turn I finished reserching AI virus so nothing hapened but i still lost all AI beifits.

Yeah, I had this exact thing happen to me last night. And I did not have AI slaves that game. :( But yeah, the AI virus only eliminates the bonuses when the AI rebels.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

magitek

Post by magitek » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:29 am

Interesting. I've done several games now and never had a rebellion *after* researching the virus, and I have always researched the virus immediately after it became available.

Maybe order of events is computed such that an AI rebellion event would occur before the tech-completed event.

Or...maybe I've just been lucky :)

Darth Meatloaf

Post by Darth Meatloaf » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:17 pm

I must be really damn lucky. So far, out of 5 games that I have been offered AI in, I have only had one rebellion...
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
If you would have peace, prepare for war. -Motto of the Black Swimmers

*My name will differ online with the race I play.

Hiver: Winged Horror
Human: Ensign Ricky
Liir: Cathal
Tarka: Darth Meatloaf

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:26 am

Never had a rebellion, but AI techs are the ONLY tech I never boost

(I've killed many thousands of civilians while boosting expert systems)
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

c0m4ndo45

Post by c0m4ndo45 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:34 pm

so if i research AI virus i lose the benefits of the AI?...

huh, first game i researched ai, and and ai administration i had rebellion and lost 3 colonies, and i didnt even boost it... since then never researched AI again.
<Proud to be a Gamer>

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:24 pm

If you research virus after a rebellion starts, you kill the rebellion but lose the benefits of AI. If you research it before a rebellion happens, you don't lose the benefits of AI. I'm not sure if researching virus protects you from rebellion or not, if so that's pretty badass, if not it'll probably squash the rebellion as soon as it happens and immediatly lock you out of your AI techs.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Jandor

Post by Jandor » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:29 pm

It would make sense if it basically just automatically killed the Rebellion when/if it started.

Do AI Rebels have there own combat screen? or is it just the same as the race they rebelled from?

Return to “The Tech”