Is AI rebellion a random Event

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Foogsert

Post by Foogsert » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:58 pm

If I recall right, the virus disables pretty much all the AI techs. However, there's a slave tech after virus that lets you regain some (all?) of the benefits, though I think that's a random tech too.

bman654

Post by bman654 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:14 pm

Well, with great tepidation, I have decided to research AI Admin.

I've just about got the AI rebels beat down - I assimilated one of their worlds, glassed 2 others and have just hit their 4th and final with 4 assimilation plague bombs so it should be mine in a few turns. :thumbsup:

I hope I am not going to destroy my empire with this research :lol:

And I also hope I am not wasting 11 turns researching this when it will give me nothing. And I'm not really sure how to check if it provides me any benefit. I guess I will write down my income before/after research finishes to see if it goes up any. And pray that once I finish it that all my worlds don't go rebel on me. :shock:

I'll post tonight with my results.

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:44 pm

Random techs are either gonna make or break a lot of folks. I didn't have the option for the AI slave tech so after going through the research I was S.O.L

bman654

Post by bman654 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:49 pm

Meh that is ALOT of research time down the drain if that happens. :x

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:36 pm

It's just something you have to deal with and move on. You might be able to salvage AI slave tech from an enemy ship if they have it, I'm not sure.

It just means your guys couldn't figure out how to make Safe AI.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:57 pm

bman654 wrote:Meh that is ALOT of research time down the drain if that happens. :x

I think AI virus can be a random branch off of any AI tech. So AI fire control, AI factories and AI Admin should give you three seperate chances to get the AI virus link.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Ardryn

Post by Ardryn » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:20 pm

Nspace wrote:
bman654 wrote:Meh that is ALOT of research time down the drain if that happens. :x

I think AI virus can be a random branch off of any AI tech. So AI fire control, AI factories and AI Admin should give you three seperate chances to get the AI virus link.

You can also get it from the initial AI tech. :D

SpecialK

Post by SpecialK » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Yeah, I didn't get it from any of them. :( I think I'm just going to avoid AI until late game when I have research to burn.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:57 pm

actually if u get all three techs, rsh virus but dont get slaves and the AI hasnt gone cylon, then you can still use all of the AI stuff

magitek

Post by magitek » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:04 am

I haven't confirmed this in any way, but it seems as if having the virus prevents any possible rebellion. I always go for it as soon as I find it, and I've never had a rebellion after completing virus research.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:26 am

magitek i can confirm that because ive had like 3 games with no slaves after rushing the virus, and i set rsh to 25% to test it

Sheepofdoom

Post by Sheepofdoom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:05 am

A question on the effects of the AI rebellion:

When I was researching the first AI tech it triggered a rebellion. I just so happened to have a fleet geared up for redecorating the Hiver homeworld next door to the stricken planets. I quickly razed and recolonized all the planets that were taken from me, no more rebellion! But from the sound of it, I won't be able to use any of the AI tech from now on, is that accurate?

Can I safely use AI tech now that I've put them down, will I have to get the AI slaves tech before it's worth bothering with all the other techs, or was that AI research just 15 wasted turns?

magitek

Post by magitek » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:38 am

The bonuses that the AI techs give you will not become enabled again unless you get the slave tech, which is a random tech that appears after you've researched the virus.

Kaorti

Post by Kaorti » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:58 pm

Sheep: your AI bonuses are disabled if you have the AI virus. If you just destroy the rebel AIs then you keep the AI bonuses.
Erinys gave me an E-Cookie! Yay!
For those arranging games: I'm on GMT -5

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:24 pm

Kaorti: I don't think so. As soon as the rebellion happens you get locked out of your stuff. I'll have to run a test to make sure but I'm pretty sure it's the act of rebellion that makes you lose the bonuses, virus just doesn't re-enable them.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Return to “The Tech”