Mashup: Google Maps & SotS Techtree & Technology Database

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
ouroborus

Mashup: Google Maps & SotS Techtree & Technology Database

Post by ouroborus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:13 am

Pan-able, zoom-able, and click-able.

http://ouroborus.org/sots/map.html

Seems to work in IE 8, FF 3.6, Chrome 4.1, and Opera 10.

Try it out, let me know what you think.

Mesaia

Re: Mashup: Google Maps & SotS Techtree & Technology Database

Post by Mesaia » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 am

Looks very cool! :thumbsup:

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 am

True, phenomenal!
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

So, uh... Apply street maps for the 360... ;)

Post by silvaril » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:19 am

Heya

Very Nice! :)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:51 pm

This is brilliant! :thumbsup:
Excellent solution to the "non-obvious tech" problem (although the other techmap does have its advantages as well, standard html compatibility for example, so keeping both is a good idea).

Although there is at least one fact error.

For example Shield Projectors require Antimatter and some form of Shield technology. NOT fusion projectors (although fusion projectors is the only way to discover the tech it doesn't require it...technically).

Could be more errors in there, this is just the one that I've found browsing through.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Interesting use of web-mapping.
What did you use to create it? I can see you've managed to tile the original image into the requisite pyramids, what did you use for that?
Also, how did you convert the area-map to the javascript x/y coords?

The furthest-zoom out doesn't give anything. - The zoom should be set to 4, and maybe even 3 (assuming 5 is the furthest out based on the code).

ouroborus

Post by ouroborus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 am

fiendishrabbit wrote:This is brilliant! :thumbsup:
Excellent solution to the "non-obvious tech" problem (although the other techmap does have its advantages as well, standard html compatibility for example, so keeping both is a good idea).

Ran it through W3C's validator and fixed an error. For some reason, adding the doctype hoses the layout so it'll have to stay missing for now. I'll see what I can do about that.

fiendishrabbit wrote:Although there is at least one fact error.

For example Shield Projectors require Antimatter and some form of Shield technology. NOT fusion projectors (although fusion projectors is the only way to discover the tech it doesn't require it...technically).

Could be more errors in there, this is just the one that I've found browsing through.

The data is extracted from MasterTechList.tech and supporting files. In this particular case the section reads:

Code: Select all

tech
{
name       "SLD_Proj"
allows       "SLD_MkFour    RP:120000     Human:70 Zuul:25 Hiver:30 Tarkas:60 Liir:85 Morrigi:90"
allows       "SLD_Focus    RP:150000     Human:0 Zuul:0 Hiver:0 Tarkas:0 Liir:100 Morrigi:0"
requires    "DRV_AntiMat"
requires    GRP_SHIELDS
requires    "WEP_FusProj"

}

It does appear to specify antimatter and fusion projectors as requirements.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:35 am

Hmm. It does. That's so weird. I even looked at the file before I made that comment and I was surprised that I didn't see projector, but now that I look at it again I see it.
Human Error I guess.

ouroborus

Post by ouroborus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:52 am

Moriarty wrote:Interesting use of web-mapping.
What did you use to create it? I can see you've managed to tile the original image into the requisite pyramids, what did you use for that?
Also, how did you convert the area-map to the javascript x/y coords

Tiling the image was done via perl with GD, a graphics manipulation library.

Stripping the coords out of the areamap was done by deleting everything else. (An editor that understands regular expressions made this easy.) Some perl turned it into a image that I could use to help in correcting any potential errors and omissions. Another bit of perl to convert it into a partition tree. (That's why the resulting js looks the way it does.)

Moriarty wrote:The furthest-zoom out doesn't give anything. - The zoom should be set to 4, and maybe even 3 (assuming 5 is the furthest out based on the code).

It's tiled all the way to zoom 0 so it should be showing. At least, it works for me.

ouroborus

Post by ouroborus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 am

Fixed some standards compliance stuff. Of course IE promptly broke. Added stuff to fix that as well.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:23 am

ouroborus wrote:
Moriarty wrote:The furthest-zoom out doesn't give anything. - The zoom should be set to 4, and maybe even 3 (assuming 5 is the furthest out based on the code).

It's tiled all the way to zoom 0 so it should be showing. At least, it works for me.

Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear. What I meant was, the furthest zoom outs don't offer anything. I get a small colourful rectangle and that's it.

A "<noscript>" tag might be nice. ;-)

Also - it doesn't seem to work in my Opera 10 any more. Did yesterday and does work in Firefox now.

Tiling the image was done via perl with GD, a graphics manipulation library.

Fair enough, I didn't know there was a GD library for Perl but I've used the PHP one (and GD2).
I don't know how much of a background you have in this area, but for making pyramids you can also use a rather powerful GIS'y tool called GDAL - http://www.gdal.org/ - the gdal_retile tool actually I think - http://www.gdal.org/gdal_retile.html Just an FYI, good stuff though. ;-)

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 am

Moriarty wrote:Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear. What I meant was, the furthest zoom outs don't offer anything. I get a small colourful rectangle and that's it.

Isn't 5 the minimum amount of zoom levels available in google maps?

ouroborus

Post by ouroborus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear. What I meant was, the furthest zoom outs don't offer anything. I get a small colourful rectangle and that's it.

Ah, yeah. It isn't there so much to look at but to help in navigating from one end of the map to the other.

Added.

Also - it doesn't seem to work in my Opera 10 any more. Did yesterday and does work in Firefox now.

I've tried it in Opera 10.51 and it seems to work.

Iztok

Post by Iztok » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi!
ouroborus wrote:Try it out, let me know what you think.

This is simply GREAT! :thumbsup:

Esp. thanks for probability of availability. I've seeni it once somewhere and've been looking for it quite some time.

Is there a possibility you can incluse also requirements for ship sections? Like researching "Translate Zuul" would also give War section.

I'm affraid I've also found a small glitch: click on Plasma Projector shows data about Plasma Canon.

BR, Iztok

ouroborus

Post by ouroborus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:46 am

Iztok wrote:Is there a possibility you can incluse also requirements for ship sections? Like researching "Translate Zuul" would also give War section.

Added.

Iztok wrote:I'm affraid I've also found a small glitch: click on Plasma Projector shows data about Plasma Canon.

Fixed.

Return to “The Tech”