Liir biome and xenotech query

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Subanrab

Liir biome and xenotech query

Post by Subanrab » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:44 pm

I imagine there are topics for both of these already but I'll be damned if I can find them!

First question, does it make sense to rush for biomes as liir? I have trying this for a while and while it does let me get colonies profitable much faster, it isn't the fastest tech in the world to get, and is expensive to employ...

My second question is totally different, but I thought I would try and be efficient... Anyways, my question is this: how exactly does accommodation of other species work? I know you need the relevant tech, but how does it work? Do you just gain extra civilians of other races? Do you have to be allied to the other race? I have absolutely no idea how it functions... any help would, um, help...:)
"Go for the eyes Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!"

jrpeart

Re: Liir biome and xenotech query

Post by jrpeart » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:00 pm

I don't have a lot of experience with Liir so about the best answer I can give for that one is "It depends". It will largely depend on the specific circumstances of the game you are in.

As fo the other question.

You do not need to be in an alliance with that race. I often go for civilians of the races I am fighting, assuming I bother at all.

Once you have Incorporate you are able to keep any pre-existing civilians on a specific world, up to a maximum based on the relative CHs of the races involved. Proliferate allows your worlds to attract civilians of that race, in a similar manner to the way civilians of your own race appear, again up to a maximum based on climate hazard. Accomodate removes the CH limitation (although civilian growth rate is still governed by CH IIRC).

In all cabove cases you will have to set the maximum population you wish to allow for each race. This can be done on a system by system case by using the button that looks like an 'i' on the system information panel. This takes you to a screen with sliders for each race you have enough tech to allow.

There is also an empire wide setting that can be modified from a similar screen. You can access the empire settings screen from the above screen and from elsewhere (I forget where :oops: ) by clicking on the button that looks like it has three 'i's in it.

Each races civilians are maintained separately and have separate morale.

The maximum sustainable population is also calculated separately but the total maximum civilians in a system is fixed. What this ends up meaning is that with civilians of other races you can end up filling your worlds to the maximum without any resource drain. This means more income from taxes and more available trade routes, hence more money.
Murphy's Laws of Combat
1. Bullets have right of way.
2. If your advance is going well, you're walking into an ambush.

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Ahhh... That sounds pretty awesome, I have to say! :) Cheers for clearing that up for me, I honestly had no idea what it did! :)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 pm

As for biomes... They are groovy for everyone but how quickly you should go for them depends on how well your economy can bear the expense of getting the tech and putting them into production, as well as how many decent worlds that don't need biomes to settle are on hand.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Yeah, starting to get to grips with when to use biomes a little more now, TARs have helped lots, but still learning my way along... :)

With regards to accommodating other races, had a bit of an issue... Researched accommodate Tarka, all well and good, but if I alter the civilian settings at all then I exceed the happy medium balance, and start eating the resources. Is there a way of actually using this to have more civilians without eating resources? I'm using Liir for this save at the momnet, by the way, if that helps at all...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 am

Look closely in the population manager page (i button on planet in the main part of the display) to see which races you are adding room for. If you do it from the main window without going into the pop manager you will be adding your own civilians, not Tarka ones.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Ok, tried that, and it comes up with a screen that lets you set the maximum civilian pop and percentage of that to be whatever races you can use. However, if I increase the maximum civilian pop beyond the halfway point, even if I only make it 50% Liir (so Liir civies are still in the no-eating-resource bit) as soon as my overall number of civs goes over that halway point they start resource munching. My poor brain does not understand this... :(

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Can you post a screen of what you're doing?

In the pop manager you should be seeing a window with a long line on the top to represent your total civilian population and a smaller bar underneath for each of your possible civilian races. You should be using the small bars underneath to set your Liir civs to the sustainable point and your Tarka civs to whatever you like (presumably max they can support.) If you do this and you're still seeing overharvesting going on (without the overharvest slider turned on) then it sounds like there is a bug and you should post in tech support.

I know this was working prior to 1.8.0.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

Altering the small individual race sliders at the bottom only seems to alter the percentage of my current civilian pop that is one race or the other, as opposed to giving me a larger total number of civilians...

I can only get my screenshots to show up as TGA files, and I have no idea how to convert them into something that can actually be viewed... :oops:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 am

Two options:
1) Get a program that can convert .tga to .jpg, there are lots of options out there, some of which are free.

2) Open paint in the background, switch to SotS, take your pic, switch back to paint, Ctrl-V to paste. When you take a pic, if you have an image editor in the background, you can paste the screen buffer into said editor. Then save, crop/resize it as appropriate, and it should be good to go.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:30 pm

Sorry to necro the thread, but didn't want to seem like I was ignoring zed f. Been on holiday for a while so wasn't around - I'll fiddle with it again before I try the screenshot stuff, just in case I was being silly.:)

Return to “The Tech”