Predictive Gunnery

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
kdonovan

Predictive Gunnery

Post by kdonovan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:30 pm

How useful is this tech for early-mid game battles?

With which weapons to you usually use it? I assume ballistics and some of the less accurate energy cannon types. Does it help PD?

What weapons does it not help. I assume missiles emitters, beamers, torps and any other auto-hit weapons.

C. Torannan

Re: Predictive Gunnery

Post by C. Torannan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:31 am

The Fire Control section makes that ship's weapons more accurate by a certain percentage. If you use inaccurate weapons or lots of PD ships, then it is a useful tech all the way through the game. Otherwise, other command sections are simply more useful.
I'm not Evil, I'm just Chaotic/Neutral.

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:23 am

As was already mentioned PD ships make good use of it, though if you use PhaserPD or PDMissiles it isn't needed for those. It can also go well with a ballistics or energy cannon War CR, drivers and cannons in all those large mounts really benefit from the boost in their accuracy. I usually use it all game long unless I feel ballzy enough to go for AI fire-control to replace it.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:48 am

FC / War destroyer with plain Mass Drivers will wreck other destroyers and even give cruisers pause.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

kjn

Post by kjn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:03 am

The more inaccurate the weapons you use are, the better use you'll get from Fire Control. The main exception are the scattergun weapons, like DF racks or projectors. The Fire Control will help, but won't reduce the extra built-in shot cone from the weapons.

Personally, I haven't found it benefitting PD much - it's already accurate enough, and it would be better to up the PD volume if missiles are a problem.

Key beneficiaries of Fire Control are mass drivers, plasma/fusion cannons and heavy drivers. Late-game, fire control makes rail guns from a fearsome weapon to a dominant one.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:36 am

kjn wrote:The more inaccurate the weapons you use are, the better use you'll get from Fire Control. The main exception are the scattergun weapons, like DF racks or projectors. The Fire Control will help, but won't reduce the extra built-in shot cone from the weapons.

Personally, I haven't found it benefitting PD much - it's already accurate enough, and it would be better to up the PD volume if missiles are a problem.

Key beneficiaries of Fire Control are mass drivers, plasma/fusion cannons and heavy drivers. Late-game, fire control makes rail guns from a fearsome weapon to a dominant one.

Actually, DF racks don't have any spread other than the inaccuracy of the whole burst. So Predictive Gunnery does indeed help it.

But as you said, 'scattergun' weapons don't get much benefit from PG (most of those weapons still have same inherent inaccuracy, but it's overshadowed by the spreading effect).

I had a lengthy discussion about Predictive Gunnery with ZedF (unless my memory fails and it was someone else, in which case my apologies!) and the end result was that adding PG purely for PD might be a bit less-than-ideal-idea, somewhat depending on the race (or rather, their sections) but it does benefit them quite nicely too.

I'd also add sniper cannons to that list, but they don't benefit from it that much, since their close-in damage potential is somewhat low and they're allready pretty accurate at the longer range they're meant for. I've also heard that you can make sniper cannons into semi-good PD at longer range with PG, haven't tested that myself tho.

PG does wonders for bursters too, they're very inaccurate normally... But PG makes 'em very deadly versus DE's and even lightly-armored cruisers.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:45 am

The last discussion I remember having about Predictive Gunnery regarding PD was that I tend to put Fire Control or AIC on my ships primarily to support non-PD weapons rather than PD weapons, but that if I'm doing so, I'll re-evaluate which PD weapons I'm planning to bring in light of having Fire Control or AIC available (e.g. I might reduce laser PD in favour of gauss PD on ships equipped with Fire Control.)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

jp161

Post by jp161 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:53 am

ZedF wrote:The last discussion I remember having about Predictive Gunnery regarding PD was that I tend to put Fire Control or AIC on my ships primarily to support non-PD weapons rather than PD weapons, but that if I'm doing so, I'll re-evaluate which PD weapons I'm planning to bring in light of having Fire Control or AIC available (e.g. I might reduce laser PD in favour of gauss PD on ships equipped with Fire Control.)

Yeah, that's basically what I meant to say.. Cheers :thumbsup:

Return to “The Tech”