Do AI players use drones?

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Rayp

Do AI players use drones?

Post by Rayp » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Aside from the Morrigi, i have yet to see drones used by other races in my games. Anyone seen them use drones or the AI isn't using them at all?

Vemarkis

Re: Do AI players use drones?

Post by Vemarkis » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:13 pm

I've seen the Liir deploy drones a few times, one time encountered a tarka with drones..

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:19 pm

In my current (late era now) game I am playing Morrigi and my remaining opponents are two allied Hivers, both with Drone DN and CR and a mix of X-Ray Laser drones and Stormer drones. I was using COL DN with 3 x Hvy. Drone (2 x Chakkar) launchers and 1 x Cry Baby launcher, but I swapped one of the Hvy. Drone launchers in my design for a Lt. Drone (2 x Pulsed Phasers, 1 x Point Defence Phaser) launcher to counter the enemy drones. Even Morrigi COL Drones have to work hard to take out regular Drones.

The big drone battles have been fun to watch and for the first time I used frame-by-frame increments during the battle. It is like one of the furballs described in WW I and WW II.

EDIT: I'm using the Steam version, which is still 1.7.2. Perhaps they are rare because drone research is a low priority for the AI. As I mentioned, it is late in the game and I have all of the available techs researched. I'm sure the Hivers are in the same position as one of them is set on Hard AI.
Stellar Union

Rayp

Post by Rayp » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Well, seem the AI wait to have nothing else useful to research before getting them. In my current game drones started appearing, but we are in antimatter era; drones tend to be only a minor annoyance at that point :cry: .

Drasius

Post by Drasius » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:35 am

I only really see Hiver use drones as AI, and even then, it's late in the game (Early AM at earliest).

jp161

Post by jp161 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:19 am

In my latest game, an enemy hiver came to attack me with drones. CR platform, swarmers with UV lasers.

At best it was early fusion, he still used plenty of fission era ships to do that attack.

I was at med fusion perhaps. Only the Liir had AM.

Unkn0wnx

Post by Unkn0wnx » Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 pm

I have seen Human AI that use drone satellites.

johnjoshyy

Post by johnjoshyy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 am

hmmm yes players use drones i guess..

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:49 pm

AI players do use drones. Mostly when they shouldn't, with the exception being Morrigi as they use them from the start, when they are still effective. Seeing a drone DN in late game pop up amidst cutting beams, AM projectors, phaser PD etc. is kinda sad. A lot of cool looking drones being evaporated...
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm

In my last 2 game most AI finished research of drone tech tree before they finished research bio tree. i did fight human and liir drone.

In this tarka game Liir AI fired on my ship Flock COL. :shock:

Return to “The Tech”