Trade strategy

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
brisub

Re: Trade strategy

Post by brisub » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:47 pm

drivebymessiah wrote:I'm not entirely certain how raiding is handled. I suspect that it is mostly a random event (and a frequent one at that) but also will occur if some commerce raiding / raider flagged ships enter the trade sector.

It is a random, and will also happen if raiders come from other powers. The larger number of raiders, the higher the chance for an intercept.

drivebymessiah wrote:In anycase - how do you balance defending your trade sectors against net profit? Considering the frequency that my deepest interior trade sectors get raided - the frequent random event theory seems likely. And, in that event, it means that all trade sectors would require a certain level of defense.

Everything I've raid says that it isn't cost effective to patrol the freighter sectors with ships. Your chance of an intercept depends on how many raiders are there and how many ships you have (they're divided by the number of trade routes), making it pretty ineffective (it seems).

If you were going to patrol routes, you want fast ships on the trade routes, and I'd put them on trade routes near borders.

I don't know how most people do this, but my trade exceeds planetary income. I go freighter crazy, as it funds my war machine quite well.
:sots1: Bri

How do I know I'm about to be annihilated? The turn count reaches 250...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Putting police ships in your trade sectors reportedly reduces the number of raids.
Also, putting Q-ships in your trade sectors reportedly increases the odds of getting armed ships (i.e. the Q-ships) to show up when you do get raided.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

brisub

Post by brisub » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:21 pm

I've never made police ships, actually. Just always seem to have bigger fish to fry. However, I might try them on trade routes.

Q-ships aren't worth the loss in cargo and even well-armed ones (high tech weapons) get slaughtered by the raiders.
:sots1: Bri

How do I know I'm about to be annihilated? The turn count reaches 250...

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:57 am

ZedF wrote:Putting police ships in your trade sectors reportedly reduces the number of raids.
Also, putting Q-ships in your trade sectors reportedly increases the odds of getting armed ships (i.e. the Q-ships) to show up when you do get raided.

I must do something wrong. I get trade raid so rare I stoped do anything against. I get 2-3 raid at start of trade, then 2 raid in mid game, then nothing for 100 turn. I also play Hiver - when raid happen I just auto-resolve. I need only small sattelite to destroy all raiders and not lose any my Freighter.

And AI continue send 6 DE to raid my trade. Nothing happen. Will stop destroying them to see if anything happen.

Return to “The Tech”