Trade strategy

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Lich

Trade strategy

Post by Lich » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi,

I would like to know you trade startegies:
1. How fast to you research basic trade.
2. Do you use Mega freighters? And how to use them effectivley (do they need some special trade routes)?
3. How much planetary production you are passing to trade?

ivra

Re: Trade strategy

Post by ivra » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Normally, I expand and grab planets until there are no more to grab. Then I start to trade if necessary. Depending on how far my research has gone, I either start with DE freighters and then switch to CR freighters when they come available, or I wait for the CR freighters and construct only them. If I am way bigger than the opponents after expanding, I do not care to start trading. I just build attack forces and start attacking them. If on the other hand I have about as many colonies as my neighbors I start building the trade network and also stations. A fully developed CR trade network will earn you twice as much as the base income from your colonies. Stations (Trade, Command, and Repair) will also increase your income.
For every move to the right of the vertical bar you can support 5 freighters. I normally move it only when I need it to support freighters. For each step I also order the construction of 5 freighters. Note that the freighters will automatically be assigned to trade routes. This also means that the 5 freighters can be built in any colony in the same trade section as the colony in question.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:49 am

Before building the trade network, I ask myself one important question which determines whether I build the trade network or not.

If I build the same number of combat CRs instead of freighters, could I conquer enough of my neighbours to double my size?

Lich

Post by Lich » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 am

So basically Trade is not MUST HAVE - rather interesting feature, tool to be used in certain situations?

I was always bouilding trade network with minimal Trade Route usage (Level one on the slider) with standard freighters - but I am playing Human against medium AI...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:27 pm

The more difficult the game becomes, the more likely you will need trade before you can attack, because the more likely the answer to Mesaia's question will be 'no.' So, while trade is not universally require, it's a good habit to get into.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:13 am

I think I misunderstood this originally - now I'm expanding the trade route hash marks only to mark the x5 of the freighters. I also find myself often putting off doing an DE freighters since CR freighters are never that far away. I play as Liir often though, so that might reflect my research bias.
SotS1: CC 1.8.0 - SotS2: 18864b

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:59 pm

It also depends on what other setup parameters you've chosen. If you like large maps and/or boosted economy settings at the start of the game, you may find that tech comes quickly enough that you can afford to wait for megafreighters. I personally prefer smaller maps and generally prefer less advanced starts, so I find that filling in some or most of a DD freighter network too helpful to skip, in order to get to fusion and megafreighters in the first place.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Personally I tend to use trade networks primarily for the morale boost, generally aiming for that production bonus at 85 morale (along with the less tangible advantages of high morale).

As such I tend to get a cheap DD network going long before I get a proper Megafreighter network going.
For 4 mil (the difference between a +1 or +2 bonus from wallet) I can crank out a LOT of DD freighters.
That each such freighter gives me an income is a nice bonus too.

Overall, unless I play morrigi there is usually a very large gap between "starting up my first rudimentary trade network" and "megafreighters up the wazoo". I usually don't even hit the "megafreighters up the wazoo" stage at all.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Unkn0wnx

Post by Unkn0wnx » Tue May 01, 2012 7:57 pm

Trade with Mega Freighter is a must for Morrigi (IMO).

LordD

Post by LordD » Tue May 08, 2012 1:54 pm

I use the Q frieghters myself when i get them less money than the normal cruiser frieghters but I prefer the extra protection.

Use trade to build up your income in peace time so that you can afford to do a slow but big build up of forces, also a massive trade fleet will big up your fleet size which will make the AI hesitate. In my current Morrigi game my merchant fleet is like 1200 big while my full fleet in all arms is like under 700 ships strong. But then as Morrigi my heavy combat fleets can go to one end of the galaxy to the other in 7 turns.
The empire of Lord D has arisen run or be destroyed.

Unkn0wnx

Post by Unkn0wnx » Thu May 17, 2012 3:02 pm

I usually just set up trade with out paying attention to how much wealth is generated. I am currently in a close game where I fell slightly behind AI's and I need all the money I can get. Supposedly one mega freighter can earn maximum of 15000 per ship, why am I only getting around 9000 per freighter (I built trade stations on every planet in the sector and trade routes are already established)? I am playing as Human.

LordD

Post by LordD » Thu May 17, 2012 10:33 pm

If you are using the Q frieghters then they lose 5000 credits or so due to the extra weapons and armour taking up cargo space.

Also like all ships freightors have maintenance costs.

All I can say is for trading your ability to build warships quickly you are making more money, I think we can all agree money heps you win the game.

Unkn0wnx

Post by Unkn0wnx » Fri May 18, 2012 1:19 pm

I usually skip Q ships. I think 15k is under best conditions, maybe longest route? Trade isn't as lucrative as I first thought. I assume that each freighter cost 5k upkeep and earn me around 9k with trade stations. Its a steep investment but can be profitable in the long run.

LordD

Post by LordD » Fri May 18, 2012 1:56 pm

I find trade quite easy to set up partly due to the fact, that when you get it to a certain size, it will form like 2/3 of your economy. The bottle neck then becomes your construction time but trust me if you can afford to build 1000 freighters then the AI will not be attacking anytime soon.

drivebymessiah

Post by drivebymessiah » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm not entirely certain how raiding is handled. I suspect that it is mostly a random event (and a frequent one at that) but also will occur if some commerce raiding / raider flagged ships enter the trade sector.

In anycase - how do you balance defending your trade sectors against net profit? Considering the frequency that my deepest interior trade sectors get raided - the frequent random event theory seems likely. And, in that event, it means that all trade sectors would require a certain level of defense.

Return to “The Tech”