How to use Stations effectively

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Lich

How to use Stations effectively

Post by Lich » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi,

Do you have any interesting hints about using stations?
Since they are SO expensive, I am using them to just to bust my main "Forge Worlds" (repair and command)...
Do you think it's wort to use Science\Trade?

ivra

Re: How to use Stations effectively

Post by ivra » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:47 pm

From the manual:
Construction/Repair Station - A C/R station is a welcome addition to the production facilities
of a planet, helping to decrease ship construction costs, improve response times to repair requests, and
increase the amount of reserouces recovered post-battle.
Science Station – A great many avenues of research require, or are at least improved upon, by
zero-G environments. Science stations provide a bonus to an empire’s research output and allows players
the ability to offer other players special Science Missions.
Sensor Station - A sensor station conveys its powerful scanning data to a system as if it were a deep
scan vessel. The station’s dedicated array, combined with Tunneling Sensor systems, increase the chances
of detecting a cloaked enemy fleet on the Galaxy Map.
Trade Station - A Trade station is far easier for tradeships to deal with compared to orbit-to-surface
transports. They help increase all trade route income to a planet. These stations also allow players to create
two additional trade routes to allied or NAP agreed worlds in range. Trade stations in an uninhabited world act
like a planet with two trade routes, and are added to that trade sector’s total. Increased alien traffic provides a
wealth of information to Xenotech scientists, which helps to reduce the cost of researching Xenotech.
The increased alien traffic provide a wealth of information to Xenotech scientists, helping to reduce the
cost of researching Xenotech.
Command Station - A Command Station simply functions as a system-locked CnC ship and is able
to command somewhat more ships in battle than a Strikeforce CnC ship, but not as much as an Armada CnC
ship. As well, these stations can help with the logistics of military orbital industry, increasing the industrial
output of a planet’s Imperial population.
Habitat Station - A Morrigi station provides a home for an extra 100 million civilian and 100 million Imperial
citizens. As mentoined, this is the only station that allows multiple builds of the same type, at a single planet.
Station Sats – Just like the planet their orbit, stations need protection. Each station can maintain a
defensive ring of 5 small sats. Stations are outfitted with their sats by building as you normally would for
a planet. These light satellites will appear around the planet first, if there is space in its defense orbit, then
subsequent sats will appear around stations. Once built however, they can be moved wherever you like
using the Defense Manager.

Note that the bonus of the science station is very potent. Each race has to pay a different amount of money to buy 1 research point. For each science station that amount of money buy you 5% more research points. So 20 science stations will double your research rate.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:09 am

ivra wrote:Note that the bonus of the science station is very potent. Each race has to pay a different amount of money to buy 1 research point. For each science station that amount of money buy you 5% more research points. So 20 science stations will double your research rate.

In addition, the 5% per Science station bonus is also added to all special projects, which is the only way to increase the rate of special project research.

And Science stations (but not Sensor Stations) will also give you a one turn notice before a random encounter attack at the planet that they are built at.

My suggestions: Science stations are absolutely worth building at every planet, if just for the one turn warning before a VN attack. Trade is my next favorite... if I need the money and am filling out my trade network. If you are not going for trade, skip it. The Construction/Repair Station is great at your major ship production world or at a world that you get a lot of combat and is worth building as your second or third station. The Command Station would be next on my list, but only for the increase to industrial output. I never use one as my only CnC and I'm not sure that I would build one on a front line world. And finally the Sensor Station is the last station that I consider using most of the time. The larger sensor radius is nice, but I don't think it is worth losing the benefits from the other stations. The biggest exception would be if I'm being hit by cloaked ships. Then the ability to see cloaked fleets in transit (with Tunneling Sensor) is well worth it. :)

Oh and the Morrigi Habitat Station... I've never built one since I don't play Morrigi very much, but I imagine that if you combine it with a Trade station, this would be a money making machine. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Lich

Post by Lich » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:13 am

Science stations provide a bonus to an empire’s research output and allows players
the ability to offer other players special Science Missions.

This I think is rather throught Xenotech - language translation.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Trade Stations
Two extra trade lines without industry reduction and a 25% extra trade income is worth a lot. How much exactly depends on your economic level. I tend to built a lot of those.

Science Station
Technically very powerful but I usually don't bother with them. I like to play with low planet size and trade stations take priority so I usually can not build to many of them. By the time they come available I have a tech lead most of the time and having money to build fleets takes priority over research. Depending on the setup (e.g. Hard AI /Human opponents, low economy/research, big planets, big galaxy) they might be more useful. Most random encounters can be defeated by small number of destroyers and if you don't destroy VN motherships, zerkers leave you alone.

Sensor Station
All warfare is based on deception and a few well placed sensor station can hinder your opponents ability to wage war somewhat. EW-dread might be a more flexible if somewhat lower ranged alternative but the sadorandomiser has the last say on this.

Habitat Station
The extra pop from those gives you some extra industry and money. Too bad they don't give you extra trade routes and as Morrigi you don't get to much money from your population. The extra pop does count towards station limit so they provide their on station slot in many cases.

Repair Station
Limited usefulness in my opinion. Repair bonus is useless when build above a fully developed planet and on frontier world you should have a fleet with enough repair ships. Extra resources recovered sound good but only makes a difference if you have static fronts and this world is attacked constantly by big fleets. Ship building bonus is nice but not very big. At your capital with 200 Infra and some extra resources from mining this might be a nice addition but usually I do not bother with them elsewhere

Command Station
Nearly as much command points as a armada cnc without having to pay for for the command ships itself. Means you can usually field one more cruiser instead of your command dread. Why not build a real fleet because fronts move and fleet can move to but stations obviously can't. The industry bonus is nice on your capital and I like to keep some reserves stationed there so command stations can help you against nasty surprises you would not like to happen to your homeworld. All other world are expendable in the long run. There is one nice feature though, which is most likely a bug. If you have a command station and a fleet with a command ship in a system and you tell a second fleet without a command ship to guard a certain direction in the defense manager both fleets appear if you are attacked. This can allow you to start with a fleet of up to 120 command points. No reinforcements or outnumbering though as command points are treated normally after the start of the battle.

Lich

Post by Lich » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:39 pm

It seems that stations are usfull rather in big, macro games. In regular ones I would probably be better off with minning+Heavy Freighters.

Alternativley I might build some Scientific Stations later one - but they are SO EXPENSIVE that I cannot aford them in Mid Game (when they would have any significant impact).

Anyway fast teching to stations might be suicidial:)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:52 pm

It's almost always better to get megafreighters first and stations second. Stations are generally too expensive to do otherwise, and the primary economy boosters from stations rely on having a lot of trade income to multiply in the first place.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:11 am

Maybe I'm misreading it, but it seems that Trade stations are only valuable when you have NAP/Allied other empires nearby with routes to add. That doesn't seem to be something I see for a long period of time in my systems, but that might be my games.

right, wrong?
SotS1: CC 1.8.0 - SotS2: 18864b

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 am

johndunk wrote:Maybe I'm misreading it, but it seems that Trade stations are only valuable when you have NAP/Allied other empires nearby with routes to add. That doesn't seem to be something I see for a long period of time in my systems, but that might be my games.

right, wrong?

Wrong. You also get two new trade routes. After the station is finished go into the trade screen for the given trade sector. Then you will see that you can build an additional 10 freighters due to the new trade station.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:38 am

The two extra trade routes only work with Allied, NAP'ed or Independent worlds. And while a Trade Station boosts all normal trade routes by 25% (including normal routes to alien empires), the two extra trade routes do not get that same 25% bonus.

And to answer johndunk's question, you actually get the most amount of money from trading with your own planets. Trade with a Allied, NAP'ed or Independent world only nets you 80% of what you would get trading with your own planets, with the remaining 20% going to your trading partner. Of course, if those alien empires set up their own trade routes to your worlds, you would get 20% of the profits from the alien route. And I'm pretty sure that trading with other empires does help improve diplomatic relations with that trading partner. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Nspace wrote:The two extra trade routes only work with Allied, NAP'ed or Independent worlds

Is that really true? That does not seem to fit with my experience. I played a friendly multiplayer game with a friend not long ago. We where on the same team fighting 6 AI enemies. The map was clusters, and there were two enemy races between us. So we were not neighbors. Still every time I built a trade station I was able to add 10 more freighters. In all these trade sectors I was the only one there. My friend never reached my colonies. I get the expression that you mean that trade stations only work in a trade sector where you and another Allied/NAP’ed player both have colonies.

The patch 1.8.0 list this one as one of its fixes: “Bug with max freighters for a sector not taking into account the trade stations.” This makes me believe that you will get two extra trade routes even without any alliance/NAP.

Indeed, that manual says: “These stations also allow players to create two additional trade routes to allied or NAP agreed worlds in range”. Which makes me confused. :?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 pm

johndunk wrote:Maybe I'm misreading it, but it seems that Trade stations are only valuable when you have NAP/Allied other empires nearby with routes to add.

Well they will certainly take longer to pay for themselves without allied/NAPed alien races nearby, but they still will at some point. I would still put trade stations at least at worlds that are already generating a lot of trade income.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:12 pm

More info about trade stations:

I just loaded a game where I am playing a single game with no allies/NAPs. The only player left is a Zuul AI, which I am at war with. I tried to build a trade station and indeed the freighter capacity in that trade sector was increased by 10. The easiest way to see it is in the trade screen. In this case it gives the following info: Routes: 14, Freighters: 70/80. 14 * 5 = 70, so my capacity is increased by 10.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Trading also works with independent worlds to get those extra trade routes.
Zed's TARs (sample):

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:24 pm

ivra, your example doesn't seem to work for me: if you are seeing a display of "70/80" that means you have 70 freighters and a capacity of 80. And the number of freighters shouldn't have changed from the trade station, right?
SotS1: CC 1.8.0 - SotS2: 18864b

Return to “The Tech”