How to use Stations effectively

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
ivra

Re: How to use Stations effectively

Post by ivra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:11 pm

johndunk wrote:ivra, your example doesn't seem to work for me: if you are seeing a display of "70/80" that means you have 70 freighters and a capacity of 80. And the number of freighters shouldn't have changed from the trade station, right?

Before the trade station it was 70/70. Which means that I had built all the freighters I could. After the trade station it changed to 70/80 which means that the capacity is increased with 10, but that I have not built them yet. You still need to build the extra freightes. The trade station just increases the capacity.

ZedF wrote:Trading also works with independent worlds to get those extra trade routes.

There are no independent worlds left in this game. But some independent world joined my empire because being of the same race (hiver in this case). Is that the reason I get the 10 extra in freight capacity?
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 pm

I don't know... it's possible they may have relaxed the requirement for alien races in order to get the bonus routes in the latest update I guess. You should be able to tell where those extra routes are going by examining the trade screen... are they going to your own worlds?
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ivra

Post by ivra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:09 pm

ZedF wrote:I don't know... it's possible they may have relaxed the requirement for alien races in order to get the bonus routes in the latest update I guess. You should be able to tell where those extra routes are going by examining the trade screen... are they going to your own worlds?

I am looking at it now. I built a trade station in Naltor II. This system has 5 trade lines. The other two colonies in this trade section are Cetus II and Foo II. They are all mine and there are nobody else nearby. What happens is that there are now two trade routes from Cetus II to Naltor II and two trade routes from Foo II to Naltor II (instead of one for each as it was before the trade station). These two extra trade routes needs freighters, but I do not need to move any slider, so they do not lessen the production capacity of any of these colonies.

Since the patch 1.8.0 mentioned this as a fix, my guess is that this is how it was supposed to work from the beginning.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Chthon

Post by Chthon » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Sorry for dragging up a dead topic, but I noticed something regarding the Trade Station's extra trade routes.

When you build the Trade Station, the limit for usable freighters goes up by 10 like people said, however the number of routes don't increase if no friendly aliens are nearby. I'll use my homeworld as an example.

At first my Homeworld had 10 trade routes. Trade Screen shows:
Req Freighters: 50/50
Planet trade routes: 10

Then I built a trade station. Trade Screen shows:
Req Freighters: 50/60
Planet trade routes: 10

I noticed it wanted me to build freighters for trade routes that weren't existing yet. Then my Ally put a colony near my territory. Trade Screen shows:

Req Freighters: 60/60 (I built the freighters in the mean time.)
Planet trade routes: 10 (+1)

So the extra trade routes when found are listed in parentheses. Looking at the trade map trade routes shows an extra route running half a mile out to my ally now.

I hope this clears things up. The extra routes do not work for your own faction, only allies (and maybe neutral)

Tranquillitatis

Post by Tranquillitatis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm

If that's the case, then what are those ten extra freighters doing before that extra route appears?

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 am

Even though trade is nice I prefer Monitors :P

Unlike other stations they are very helpful and add an extra DN to your defense force. (since DN sata don't have nearly as many weapons)

So don't disown the Monitor upgrade if you can get it. Any planet with rock fields become Monitor worlds :o !lol

Of course as for other Sata I like Command as for industrial bonus and fleet bonus.. which I hope is not a bug :wink:

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:21 pm

How many Monitors can you build orbiting one world? Is it just one station of each type? It's been too long since I had a game get that far for me to remember.
Life is like a box of chocolates: the map is always wrong, the good ones are always taken and if you see something that looks nice, nine times out of ten there's something vile lurking at its core.

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:26 pm

So I haven't built a Monitor before, but I'm guessing they have the same issue as other stations in that there's pretty much only a 1 in 4 chance they're going to be where the fight starts, right? And as the defender you can't run to your point of strength unless you're willing to sacrifice everything else you have in-system.
SotS1: CC 1.8.0 - SotS2: 18864b

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Monitors don't work like stations, they work like monitors. You know, asteroid monitors, the kind you can hack. They always show up for battle so long as your forces can tell the direction from which the enemy is approaching.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Well with monitors yes you can build only 1 on a planet with a meteor ring.

However where they appear in combat round.. is up to how close the rock ring is to the planet since they are built on them. They also have arrows pointed in directions of other planets they are facing in the turn star map so you can see where they are going to be if you get attacked.

Usually the planets they are facing are ones not occupied by you so your not gonna build a Monitor and it be facing your home world leaving your other side of the planet completely exposed to the enemy :bangdesk:

Of course unlike Sata. and other stations they don't move :EDIT: according to ZedF they do move if your defenses know where your enemy is coming from :EDIT:. They also are closer than other Stations and have 2 planetary missiles (like a DN Sata would) With all that in mind they will be in the fight normally :)

Why a drone Monitor isn't available I wonder?? :? !grr

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info. I remember in one of my last larger games dreading one of the long-drawn out fights because every turn I would have to hope that my Command station was near the enemy (yae!) or my Science station was (oh no! rush to try to save it before it gets destroyed!). The fact that they're pretty far out there means that sometimes I couldn't even get my ships there fast enough to engage before the unarmed stations were torn down pretty bad.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:52 pm

I could be wrong, that's an assumption on my part. But, it stands to reason they should use the same code and operate the same way. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Don't forget stations can be encircled with light defense platforms :wink:

Meaning there can be more than just ten Lite Defense Sata. in a system

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:56 pm

You're right - and I didn't actually know that at the time I had those fights, so I had built 10 and then hadn't even considered building more. I only stumbled onto that later when I was building up a planet and wondered why it was letting me build 8 more after I already had 6 in place. :)

As much as Mecron et al joke about RTFM, this game is so rich and complicated that it seems like there's always something new. But then this is also where the Wiki is great. I always have the Tech Tree page someone made that has links to the Wiki up when I'm playing so I can alt-tab over to it, but that's mostly for figuring out/reminding myself what the new technologies I just got access to can do.

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 pm

it not that the game is complicated it that everything you need to play the game is "right there" If you are more experienced and want to do other things more in-depth thoughs are right under the "right there" stuff. For instance that nice pie in the upper left hand corner is also a handy button :lol: !lol

Also with the Command station you can have a fleet that already has a CnC fleet in place, but you can also have another fleet without a CnC in place at the same time because of the Command Station :roll: !censor I know right the bonus of the command station is only something I heard never done it myself :oops:

Return to “The Tech”