Boosting Research vs. Increasing Slider

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
kdonovan

Boosting Research vs. Increasing Slider

Post by kdonovan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:14 pm

What's the difference between speeding up research using the "boost research" and increasing the research/savings slider?

The only differences I can see are:

1. Boosting research can cause accidents, raising the slider will not (although research AI or Bio-weapons is different I think). This makes the slider the better route to go.

2. You can only use prior savings via the "boost research" - meaning that if your current income will not pay for all the research you want you may need to rely on the boost research feature and run the risk of a lab accident.

I assume a $ spent via "boost research" have the same effect as a $ spent via the slider (absent any lab accidents), is this correct?

Anything else?

Or have I completely missed the boat?

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Boosting Research vs. Increasing Slider

Post by Mecron » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 pm

nope you missed the boat...pushed dollars are more powerful than slider dollars. :thumbsup:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:41 pm

kdonovan wrote:I assume a $ spent via "boost research" have the same effect as a $ spent via the slider (absent any lab accidents), is this correct?

Boost dollars are doubled, and redoubled if you are over 100% complete.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 am

Good to know - I'll definitely use that more in the future then.
SotS1: CC 1.8.0 - SotS2: 18864b

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:09 am

Just remember...the more the words change from white to red, the more danger you are in of an accident :twisted:

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Hey, what can it hurt? I'm just trying to wire this new neural network into a feed of all of my empires military, scientific, and administrating information feeds to see if I can . oh CRAP!!

TRANSMISSION OVERRIDE, BROADCAST GENESIS KERNEL
SotS1: CC 1.8.0 - SotS2: 18864b

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:42 pm

COLOSSUS>>>ONLINE<<<

:thumbsup:

marshb

Post by marshb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Mecron wrote:COLOSSUS>>>ONLINE<<<

:thumbsup:

That was a Great Movie, and one that hasn't lost its punch. :thumbsup: In case some of you youngster don't know, Colossus is a reference to a scifi classic called The Forbin Project.
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

silvermoon383

Post by silvermoon383 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:06 pm

How much of a boost does it generally take before it's effective? I've tried it before, but it never seems to cut down on the number of turns left on the project. (For safety I only boost until the words turn a little bit red.)
Ngima Tstal Aysanhìyä lu tìrey!

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 pm

You have to invest enough money to produce a turns worth of research to save a turn. (ignoring that the research might only need part of a turns research for the last bit)

So would have to boost for half of what is regularly given to research since return on investment is doubled for boosting.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm

yes but keep in mind you can achieve that effect more safely over a number of turns

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Anecdotally, it seems boosting by small amounts will increase the probability of techs completing on time or early (e.g. by giving a small bonus on the completion die-roll each turn boosting is done, in addition to simply increasing the %complete value more quickly.) On the other hand, boosting also increases the likelihood of dropping back to 0% complete. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

licker

Post by licker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Mecron wrote:yes but keep in mind you can achieve that effect more safely over a number of turns

Yes for expensive techs which will take you several turns (lets say over 20) if you plan on boosting for 10k per turn for the first 10 turns, that's an additional 200k research you generate. Much more safely than pumping in 100k in one go. Techs which take you less than 10 turns don't really hurt so much if you put in a big boost on the 1st turn, it's still only a one turn setback if you have the lab accident. Though boosting those faster techs with small amounts doesn't speed you up as much, and the drawback of crashing to zero seems to outweigh shaving a turn after the first turns boost has gone in.

I like playing with reduced economy and research, so I am often in the position of having techs which are in the 10-20 turn range, and that is the tactic I employ.

However, once I get the tech past 50% I stop all boosting. Recall that you have a chance for early completion once you have more than 50% researched, and if you still have 10 turns remaining to go from 50 to 100 then that's 9 turns with the chance for early completion. I don't know the numbers for chance of early finish or chance of losing all research due to boosting, but I find it works pretty well to just use the early finish chance without risking resetting to 0%. Especially painful on those long research times when it does bite you. Sometimes on fussion and AM once I get to 50% I just shove research way down, if I'm doing some major fleet/freighter building, and let the early finish work on it. A gamble to be sure, and not knowing the stats I can't present any math, but my experience has shown that I don't really lose any turns due to slowing research as I get a breakthrough at some point. Of course I don't track this either so it could be confirmation bias at play, but whatever the numbers are, the 'feel' is that it works well enough.

Return to “The Tech”