Addict ally of the same race

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Maerlyn

Addict ally of the same race

Post by Maerlyn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 pm

What happens if I got an Alliance with a player of the same race, lets say another hiver, and i got running traderoutes with him. Now I research addict hiver.

1. what will happen to him? is the production drop significant enough to research a tech like this?
2. will he get a message of my deeds or does he need to guess it somehow?
3. will there be any effects on my own population and producativity, since I am Hiver as well? I mean, if humanity would create the perfect drugs for humans and sell it to some other humans, I bet my ass that some of the drugs will be sold back to my own population!

Trygvasson

Re: Addict ally of the same race

Post by Trygvasson » Thu May 15, 2014 8:32 am

None of the above, AFAIK. Most significant effect is that trade route value doubles.
There's supposedly a production drop, but the only way to assess it accurately would be to change player after a certain number of turns.
Brute force. If it's not working, you're not using enough.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu May 15, 2014 11:09 am

From a UI point of view, addiction works like a plague. If a rival researches addict for your race, you will get a notification when one of your planets' civilians have started enjoying the addictive trade good too much. That's your cue to research Temperance, which acts like a plague cure. AFAIK, AI-controlled races do understand and react to those cues.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Sat May 17, 2014 9:37 am

Maerlyn wrote:3. will there be any effects on my own population and producativity, since I am Hiver as well? I mean, if humanity would create the perfect drugs for humans and sell it to some other humans, I bet my ass that some of the drugs will be sold back to my own population!

I think this is true. I remember one very old game where I researched Addict Hiver and some turn after that my hiver become addicted. When I looked in other players, no one did have Addictict Hiver.
And when AI research Temperance, all trade bonus is lost. So I do not research Addict anymore.

Return to “The Tech”