Special project: Sturgeons Law...

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
OnePercent

Special project: Sturgeons Law...

Post by OnePercent » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:51 am

Hi guys, i've begun to seriously be addicted to this game :D and as my first post, I've come across an imponderable that isn't really explained in detail in the game nor on the wiki that mentions it.

Sturgeons Law:

I've read the wiki about it, It's got to do with a 90% crap 10% Cream when it comes to most tastes and forms of artwork, In terms of quality... Similar to the 80/20 rule that most graphs in the history of our existence like to correlate with each other. Having said that...;

What on earth does this "Special Project" Do in terms of gameplay?!!?! Can someone please be able to explain this to me? I'm playing as humans currently and Seem to have picked this special project from salvage, maby, though I seem to have come across it shortly after building some science stations. The wiki here that covers it, Only mentions it as a "generic project", What do?

Curiosity really does kill.. Thanks in advance!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Special project: Sturgeons Law...

Post by ZedF » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Special projects mean you've come across an example of technology some foreign empire has created, but you don't have access to in your tree. If you research the special project until it completes, you will get a new link to a tech you don't have, but the rival you captured it from does. Then you have the option to research that new tech like normal. The name of the project is chosen based on the kind of tech it is (e.g. industrial, energy weapons, etc.)

Special projects tend to be slow to research because the funding rate is set to a trickle and can't be changed, and the funding required to complete is based on the cost of the tech to research, so expensive techs can take a very long time indeed. The Zuul have the most gaps in their tech tree and have the most likelihood of this new link being something they could really use, and IIRC they get bonuses to special project research. For other races, it's often the case you get some link to a tech that's already obsolete by the time the project completes, but still is occasionally useful.

There is also a special project available to hack an asteroid monitor if your ships have run across one, if so your empire gains control over the monitor rather than getting a new link. This one is not too expensive since asteroid monitors are meant to mainly be a challenge in the early parts of the game.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

rabidchoco

Post by rabidchoco » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:13 pm

It's never bad to do a special project.

I got one that stemmed from a science mission my allies threw me, nice of them; and another one was salvaged from a fight.
(That game, I unfortunately didn't roll point defense; but my first salvage project remedied that.)

OnePercent

Post by OnePercent » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:36 am

Interesting.. So this name of my special project falls under "Generic Technology" according to the wiki, What technology is considered "Generic" though?, So I can find out what I just got, As this special project has been completed.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:43 am

IIRC generic technology means it could come from any tree, but if it just completed then you should have an event in your event log that says something to the effect 'you can now research X' where X is not linked from the tech you are currently researching or most recently researched.
Zed's TARs (sample):

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:59 am

Generic project are: Fort's Dilemma, Sturgeon's Law, Arclight and Magonian Prophicies.

They usually give tech from Power Technology tree, but in my games I also did get Drones-Predictive gunnery and Warheads-Nanite misile.

Rune Traveller

Post by Rune Traveller » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:05 pm

hey all, another question related to this

do your ships need to be part of the battle to benefit from salvaging techs?

two other races (i have NAP with both) are fighting above one of my worlds.... can i gain anything from just hanging out with a few repair ships in the system?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:11 pm

I believe the system is set up so you have to have a fairly decisive win in order to get a chance at salvaging, or you could still salvage while being on the losing side of a battle where you didn't get wiped out entirely. So I tend to doubt it, even though in this specific case it might make sense if you could.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Rune Traveller

Post by Rune Traveller » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:52 pm

minor thing - taking over an independent colony .... instead of just building up my speak:whatever and absorbing them when im strong enough, what if i just park a few salvage ships in orbit and get into petty scraps with their defenses? not blow up the colony, just make a mess of orbitals? seems like a slim opportunity, but ill take what i get...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:27 pm

I doubt you can capture tech from independent colonies, they don't progress through the tech tree in the normal way so it seems unlikely salvage is possible.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Rune Traveller

Post by Rune Traveller » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:15 pm

bummer - morrigi independent - quite certain their orbitals had point defense phasers .... no phaser tech for me this time

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:00 am

Rune Traveller wrote:bummer - morrigi independent - quite certain their orbitals had point defense phasers .... no phaser tech for me this time

independent colonies have only red lasers in small sattelites.

BTW Sturgeon's Law did give me Expert Systems ... at turn 212, after 150 turn of fight and 40+ destroyed AI planets. :love: :sarcasm:

Rune Traveller

Post by Rune Traveller » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:14 am

another question -

Morrigi neighbours seem to have had an AI rebellion, things are looking interesting as the rebellion took over the original Morrigi, and have made decent inroads to the other Morrigi and the Zuul spaces..... now the AI/Morrigi are starting to give me a test on a few of my systems

if i defeat their ships, or take out a world, is there the same scavenge chances as when i take out the normal birds? i know theyre slim, but im greedy like that

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:03 am

Dunno. Probably? You generally want to exterminate AI worlds with extreme prejudice and not allow the game to drag on so as to find out.
Zed's TARs (sample):

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:34 am

Rune Traveller wrote:Morrigi neighbours seem to have had an AI rebellion, ...
if i defeat their ships, or take out a world, is there the same scavenge chances as when i take out the normal birds? i know theyre slim, but im greedy like that

You have chance for special projects. If it is the same, I don't know.
Rebellion AI has large bonus to everything. Remove it ASAP or it will remove you.

Return to “The Tech”