Tech/Research aid

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Rune Traveller

Tech/Research aid

Post by Rune Traveller » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:08 pm

im just wondering...

if you get enough xenotech to offer tech to another empire, and can you request research aid from friendly empires - can you request specific techs?

i have given research aid to others as a bribe to lessen hostility and have received aid on occasion when i asked - and the bonus seems to help a lot

is there any way to ask for a tech that i have the prerequisite for? or to get a base tech that i missed out on?

Aeson

Re: Tech/Research aid

Post by Aeson » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:28 pm

Not as far as I am aware, unless said friendly empires are controlled by human players rather than by the computer.

You can save the game, quit, load the game as the empire from which you want to obtain a tech, set up the tech exchange, end the turn, save, and then load the game back up as your original empire, if you really want the tech.

Rune Traveller

Post by Rune Traveller » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:02 pm

i think youd have to have a multi-player game to do that ... running mine solo

related to that - when you ask an ally for research assistance and they agree, how much of a boost do you get? is it a certain amount based on their overall advancement, or set amount of points?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:48 pm

No, you can do that in single player by changing player positions, just drag the highlighted player position from its default (whatever you last saved as, usually position 1) to any other position when loading and launching the game.

When sending another empire gifts, you can send a fixed amount of credits per turn for a given number of turns, which can be indefinite. With research it's similar except you send a percentage of your generated research points. Presumably when receiving you get whatever the other party chooses to send.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:33 am

ZedF wrote:No, you can do that in single player by changing player positions,

IF AI that now play your empire agree. In my games it often does not. :(

And set AI to "maintain" the turn before, or it will generate and build 30+ new ship designs, and 100% overharvest new colonies, and scrap ships without fuel, and you will lose all gates over neutral planets and ...
Just do not do this if not REALLY urgent.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:38 am

Rune Traveller wrote:related to that - when you ask an ally for research assistance and they agree, how much of a boost do you get? is it a certain amount based on their overall advancement, or set amount of points?

I think it is some set percentage of AI research and the hard AI bonus is added. In my games I did get 1-2 turns for 4-6-turns project. It made game too easy so I do not use it anymore. And AI must like you, or you will not get help. ;)

Rune Traveller

Post by Rune Traveller » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:13 pm

i didnt know you could switch your empire like that :) had some fun just dicking around

tried to give 'my' empire some techs that i hadnt been lucky enough to acquire..... but as the friendly alien (morrigi) didnt have the xenotech to share - there goes that idea :/

best i could do was find out where rival capital worlds are for later invasion

Return to “The Tech”