Drive Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Mecron
Kerberos

Drive Technologies

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:09 am

Your place to post observations, questions and comments on Drive tech and its tree in SoTs.

oogs

Post by oogs » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:32 am

for some reason f-node technology decreases the speed (not the node speed) for the a destroyer using Pulsed fission and recombinant fissionables. is that supposed to happen?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:25 am

yes. It is a larger draw on the reactor and hence not as much is left for conventional thrust.

oogs

Post by oogs » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:29 am

ok :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:33 am

Once you play more with the game you will realize that the humans being able to upgrade FTL while still the fission era is unique :wink:

Zendaken

Post by Zendaken » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Mecron wrote:Once you play more with the game you will realize that the humans being able to upgrade FTL while still the fission era is unique :wink:

Is this information displayed any where? If I recalled the tech screen, it just mentions a strat speed increase.

If not, could we get the speed displayed in the construction and build screens? I do think it's cool that higher tech might not be the best (i.e. if I'm building JUST a defense force, skip the FTL and go with the faster combat engines), but it would be nice to know it without having to stage a race in the middle of combat! :shock:
Zendaken

oogs

Post by oogs » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:23 pm

actually, I think i saw that tech - it was right about pulse fission. something like recombianted .. uhh... somethings? It gives you a little option like the armor upgrade or reflective coating does when you go to design a ship.

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:30 pm

There's recominated fissionables which both can get but is relatively random. No, what mecron was talking about is the ability for humans to get Node Focusing which increases their strategic FTL speed.

As for Zendaken's question about where that info is displayed, the last few lines in the ship stats section above the ship image in both design and build shows the Strategic range and speeds. For humans the number outside the parentheses is the FTL speed and inside is Node speed, but that's what he's talking about.

Oops, forgot to say where these show up. Node Focussing tech shows up under Star Drives, not Power Technology.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Zendaken

Post by Zendaken » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:39 pm

I thought we were talking about tac speeds, based upon the original question - does F-Node slow down the tac speed of the ship? From what I remember, F-Node doesn't change the non-node strat speed though it does a nice job on the node strat speed, and the tech only indicates a stract speed increase.
Zendaken

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:01 pm

Ah, no. I believe we were talking about strat speeds. Focused Node Pulsed Fission is slower in strat, non-node speeds than standard pulsed fission but is faster in the node. Focused Node attachements don't affect tactical speeds very much, and when they do it's always as a slight boost to performance, not a slowing.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Zendaken

Post by Zendaken » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:06 pm

(*nod*) Thanks for the extra info! I *can* see how the initial conversation could apply to either, so I'm just as happy to have that clairified.
Zendaken

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:30 pm

and speeds and ranges are in the design and strat screens :wink:

Arkalius

Fine! I will!

Post by Arkalius » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:04 am

Arkalius wrote:How far away from stars (in ly) do Liir have to be to reach max speed? Or, is this dependant on drive tech? Also, what kind of difference are we talking about too? Are they twice as fast at max speed, or perhaps four times?

Liir and Tarka have the most comparable FTL travel types. In the beginning of the game, which race is "generally" faster in FTL? How about in the endgame when both races have all possible drive techs?

Mecron wrote:though often we hesitate to give exact answers....it just kind of spoils the fun

Arkalius wrote:Well you can probably answer the second part right? The who's faster part? That's a general straight up comparison...

Mecron wrote:ask in the drive tech;)

So here we are. Answer what you will ;)
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

Draven

Post by Draven » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:11 am

how will hivers retreat from battle?

Human/tarka/liir(im guessing on liir) have to warmup/restart/whatever their FTL drives in order to retreat and thus the timer; but what about the hivers? They dont have a seperate FTL drive since they dont have FTL. Do they have a retreat timer as well; im guessing they do for balance reasons, but how is it rationalized?

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:31 am

Think of it this way... Hivers retreat from a battle by simply running away on sub-light engines... which means it's basically the same thing as telling all your ships to fly away from the enemy. I'm guessing the timer can be "justified" by saying the enemy gets that much time to try and chase you down in the battle before you can just leave.
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

Return to “The Tech”