Drive Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
erdrik

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by erdrik » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:33 am

Yes the freemoving races travel slower.
Although the advatage gets quite a bit smaller as tech progresses, and the Morrigi will eventualy beat out the humans with a fully gathered fleet.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:48 am

Also, both humans and Zuul CAN travel STL in realspace, and they're slower than the Hivers when they do so. The official motto of the Hivers appears to be, "We're the fastest slow there is."

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:40 pm

The inherent limitation of the node travelling races is they can only go where the nodes lead them (Humans) or where they've bored a limited number of unstable tunnels with the expensive node bore ships (Zuul). Yeah in theory you travel the fastest on the strategic map, but you may not always have a straight line from point A to B.

Thermal Biotron

Post by Thermal Biotron » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:55 am

Also, you can't change your mind mid flight when you suddenly see the planet you are heading to is going to be death for your fleet.
Used to...play...a detective. Mind can't help...but make...deductions.

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:31 am

Mecron wrote:interesting musings but you are making a fundemental mistake in your interpretation of the word "teleportation" when it comes to the Liir Drive system. The "magic" in this case is critical in understanding what is happening. It is a macro quantum tunneling event. The ship and its contents are not being disintigrated and rebuilt like it was beaming anywhere. The ship and everyone in it remains standard set of coordinates while the the tunnel "pulse" occurs millions of times a second. In essence you can view it as either the ship is falling through billions of tiny holes or that billions of magician rings are traveling the length of the ship.

Forgive me for being... a pain in the ass, but how does the Liir decide/control what is being teleported, and what is not?
- What happens (canon-wise I mean) with things like leecher rounds, and boarding pods? Do they "come along for the ride", or would they be disintegrated - the parts that stick into the ship separated from the ones on the outside.
Or is it a certain area around the ship that is subjected for the teleport-event?

And isn't there potential for nasty things when the Liir advance into microscopic debris? Things getting stuck/phased into the AM-reactor, or something?

Is there any clear rules or details regarding this matter, or will I "sleep with the Liir" for asking such things... :shock: ?
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:14 pm

it not a teleport like Star Trek where its something that spreads over the ship and you can do funky magical things with decided what get disintegrated and reintegrated later. Its more like a quantum tunnel hoop being passed over the ship that jumps it ahead a millimeter at a time. So in essence anything attached to the hull or very close to it passes through the tunnel.

fibio

Post by fibio » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

What happens to things half in and half out of this loop?
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:19 am

they get bumped either into it or out of it like they hit a hula hoop.

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:19 am

But does grappling-hooks inhibit the stutterdrive then? I know they do in the game, but I am talking about the theory behind it: does the grappling-hook prevent the ship from activating a quantum tunneling event, and why does the Liirian ship not "glide trough" the chains?
Does it have something to do with that the ship then is technicaly "connected" with too much mass (the ship shooting the hook), and is thus unable to jump everything - which automaticly aborts the jump?

(is this just silly? is it something I have missed somewhere?)

And it makes me wonder what original Suul'ka-tech this mindboggeling-technofest is inspired from... I hope they still retain this tech in sots2 :)
- If Suul'ka (whatever their real name is) is a playable faction... I am probably going to become one of the presumably few -hated- suul'ka-lovers... :lol:
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:53 pm

This discussion actualy brings new light to the old Suul'ka discusions.
I indeed had thought of Liir Drives as Star Trek like teleporters.
That being wrong it once again makes me wonder what Suul'ka tech the Liir derived their drives from...

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:56 pm

It could be even the SuulKa drives. Just non-calibrated or something like that. Liir studied the effects and came up with the entirely different FTL drive principle.

Kinoko_Otoko

Post by Kinoko_Otoko » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:23 pm

I've got a question about Hiver gateships. When deployed, do shield and/or cloaking sections stop working? It seems like I read somewhere that they do, but I couldn't find any mention of it on these boards.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:32 am

Yes. I believe Deflectors/Disruptors stay up, but I have no personal experience of it. My gates always have deep scan.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:38 am

cloaking does not...you cannot hide a doorway in spacetime :P

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:09 am

I always thought that the reason why Gateships xouldn't cloak was that all the ship's power was diverted to Gate and weapons functions. That, and how would you get a ship out of the skin of the universe if the destination isn't part of the universe?

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Return to “The Tech”