Drive Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Remnant

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Remnant » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Is there anyone else who thinks Tarka Warp-drive, and Morrigi Void-drives move rather similary in tactical? (except the Morr DNs ability to flip around in like 5 seconds)
-The smooth, sliding manouvers, and the ability to start thrusting in the ordered direction before the ship is completely turned... (start moving backwards while it turns). The turn rate of both are also impressive, and I feel a massive improvement when upgrading the Warp as Tarka.

Are they using the same movement-templates/rules (whatever it is called) in tactical? Or are they not similar at all, and my observations are incorrect?

And a Morrigi fluff-question:
Does the Morrigi drives in STL create a artificial grav well in front of the ship, which the ship "fall towards"? If so, then the ships will act like it is in free fall, and wouldn't experience inertia in a normal fashion, exept if turning abruptly? Are the Morrigi capable of employing artificial gravity aboard their ships, or does the drive-system prevent that (or is a grav-free enviroment in itself a matter of tradition for male Morrigi?)

Can this "grav well" (if that is what it is) be directed in any direction they choose, or is it limited by the huge glowing Crecent-thingy on the back of their ships?
- Maybe this principle could be tweaked slightly and applied as a weak Grav Shield when/if the Morr regains more of their old tech and expertise... muahahha!
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:20 am

Tarka ships are use the opposite principal of Hivers, and have nothing in common with Morrigi. They use their drive to pierce the skin of the universe to go FTL.

A Tarkan ship basically acts like a needle going through a piece of paper or cloth. I'm guessing that the "resistance" that the universe has to a ship going through its "skin" is why Tarkan ships have such horrible fuel capacities. Also, does this mean that Tarkan ships briefly inhabit Nodespace?

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 am

I know they don't use the same fluff-wise methods, I was just wondering if they used similar principles for movement in tactical in the coding of the game (as in, roughly the same "rules" from a programing point of view)
- Since many manouvres are very similar I mean.

And I doubt Tarka partially inhabit nodespace, since their drive is not really based around to gravometric manipulation.
...unless you really want to get philoshopical about it, then yes, diminishing/affecting the precence of the ships at a given point in ordinary space-time will probably cause the ship to have a certain "dislocated precence" that probably will "touch" nodespace - but so will Hivers in that case.

(this is how the Menisceal Principle works, right? Causes the ship to be less at one point, so that the universe will "loosen its grip", allowing it to slip though casuality and relativity? With the Hivers taking it to the polar extreme of using a "copy-paste" kind of aproach when utilizing it)
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:16 pm

They seem different to me, but before the Morrigi came along, Tarka were the most experienced and adept culture when it came to interstellar empires and space combat. Morrigi just have them beat by an insane amount of time now :P
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:10 am

If you read the description of the Morrigi drive-tech in the technology screen in game, the level one Morrigi drive works via action-reaction thrusters. The second level tactical drives are a hybrid of action-reaction thrusters + a limited gravitic drive effect and the third level tactical drives work on fully gravitic principles.

Remnant, the third level Tarkan and Morrigi drive sections have similar stats. That's why they move similarly.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:16 am

Mesaia wrote:If you read the description of the Morrigi drive-tech in the technology screen in game, the level one Morrigi drive works via action-reaction thrusters.

:| Why do they have the grav effect than? Meaning that the more there are, the faster they go?
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:41 am

Because going super luminal in combat makes it hard to aim your guns.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Morrigi Captain: Did we hit them?
Gunnery Officer: Nope. Missed by 1,5 million kilometres.
Morrigi Captain: Helm. All about for another pass.
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:26 pm

fibio wrote:Because going super luminal in combat makes it hard to aim your guns.

:|

I was asking why do they have the grav effect (strategic) with only action-reaction thrusters?
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:14 pm

And I was suggesting that they may use more than one drive.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:30 pm

I thought every single Morrig drive tech used gravity instead of reaction thrusters, which is why they don't get pulsed fission.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:06 am

Space Voyager wrote:I was asking why do they have the grav effect (strategic) with only action-reaction thrusters?

I donno, maybe they couldn't get it to have a STL effect.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:01 pm

As far as Morrigi thrusters vs gravity early on... it could be a control thing. They have lost a lot of their tech prowess so while they can still build their engines, the engines and control systems aren't up to snuff of the old days. Early on it's basically an on/off switch (go fast or don't go at all).

Later their is a level of control (think power knob) so you can get an effect from the engines but still can't control direction that well.

Finally in the end the ship's orientation and speed can be manipulated with quite a notch of finesse (almost) as good as the good old days such that you can play with orientation and speed at minute levels using a finely crafted engine and control system...

As to Hivers and shields... shields of all types work fine on the CR gates. It seems a bit like some of the gate (the fan part) sticks out of the shield though, certainly close to the edge so explosive damage probably gets through better (assuming a shield that blocks missiles).
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

dapperapple

Post by dapperapple » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:48 am

Yeah, it sounds like the Morringi - like the Tarka - use the same principle in all the levels of FTL drives, but until you research the higher drives they don't have enough control to use the same effect for tactical maneuvering. The Morringi drive section description say ".. maneuver sub-light as well without using vented reactor plasma" - like, "now that we've gotten better with the FTL stuff, we don't need those pesky thrusters for sub-light".

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:04 am

The morrigi do NOT use reaction drives for forward thrust at any tech level. All main drive thrust is part of their grav drives and hence why they have no pulse fission.

Return to “The Tech”