Drive Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Post Reply
Greif
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Greif » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:39 am

I've noticed that this thread has been inactive for a while but the question I had seemed to fit most appropriately here.
I play mostly as morrigi and found out the hard way that the zuul eventually get to use their drive tech as a weapon. At a latter time I was playing as human and was weary of avoiding node cannons and when I was hit I was surprised to find that my ships had essentially been sent to the other side of the galaxy from where I had to rescue them because they don't have the fuel to get back.
This event has led me to two questions.
In the news it states that my ships were sucked into sub space and managed to maneuver to safety.
Does this mean that in future SOTS games,, it may be possible to navigate subspace like real space and not having to follow the node lines?
And second since it seems to be instantaneous travel like a wormhole, is this the way the van neumanns get around?

Inkvisitor
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:58 am

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Inkvisitor » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:40 am

The Zuul and the Solforce using the Node-space to FTL travel. The only difference, the the Zuul use artifical lines, and the hummies using the natural lines. Because human ships are designed to travel node-space, they are able to survive and they navigate to the nearest exit of the line. What is - the nearest planet, where a zuul nodeline is directed. The speed: Shooted ships have a big initial thrust from the node-gun, so they dont need to speed up, only to slow down. Thats because they run the line in 1 turn. Thats what I assume.

User avatar
duty
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by duty » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:47 am

I'm a bit foggy on the notion of quantum tunneling and the Liir stutterwarp. Are the physics similar to how Hiver farcasters operate?
Q: What's big, and red, and filled with shaped neutronium shells?
A: Everything in my fleet.

-a bit of Hiver humor

User avatar
MS_Cowboy
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:56 am

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by MS_Cowboy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:20 am

Well, it may be possible, but it also may not. Human ships are made to navigate node lines but not create them, so they are very good at what they do. It makes sense that they are able to get themselves out of a tunnel they've been shot into by the Zuul. That doesn't mean they could harness it for travel though. Getting shoved to the other side of the galaxy by a node cannon is pretty haphazard, and like being shoved into a turbulent river, there may simply be no safe or precise way to do it. Even if there were, it would require technological cooperation between Zuul and Humans - not likely.
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

User avatar
Mecron
Kerberos
Posts: 38499
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Node drives do not use any kind of quantum tunneling :wink:

User avatar
duty
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by duty » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:47 am

It would be interesting to see the afterlife for the different races. Humanity has several different versions of Heaven. I wonder if the same is true for the other races.
Q: What's big, and red, and filled with shaped neutronium shells?
A: Everything in my fleet.

-a bit of Hiver humor

User avatar
AlanF5
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:14 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm

That would be a fun question for the Races forum.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

User avatar
Hari Seldon
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:29 am

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Hari Seldon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:31 pm

The human scientist Blasky Tao Hsiang, who discovered Nodespace said that there was a gravitational current going from the node line to a nearby star, Wolf 359.

How do these currents work? Are there lanes so you can go both directions? How can ships travelling opposite directions in opposite currents meet and fight?

http://sots.rorschach.net/The_Discovery_of_Subspace_--_Humans
Last edited by Hari Seldon on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

User avatar
Gryfalcon
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Gryfalcon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:The human scientist Blasky Tao Hsiang, who discovered Nodespace said that there was a gravitational current going from the node line to a nearby star, Wolf 359.

How do these currents work? Are their lanes so you can go both directions? How can ships travelling opposite directions in opposite currents meet and fight?


I'd guess that the solar probe Hsiang used would not have been designed to push itself through nodespace, as nobody knew nodespace existed yet. On the other hand, a ship with a node drive seems to imply that it is specifically designed to push itself through nodespace. I'm not sure if we know whether a human ship vents plasma to push itself or some other means, but I think we can safely assume there is some means of propulsion while traversing a node line.

ETA: The idea of some kind of sailing along node lines using the gravitational current sounds fascinating, however. Is there some force similar to wind in node space?
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

User avatar
Coyote27
Posts: 2958
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:13 am

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Coyote27 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:34 pm

If so, anyone who could harness it could travel down nodelines without using (much) fuel and get a huge range advantage at perhaps the cost of a bit of speed.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

User avatar
Mecron
Kerberos
Posts: 38499
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Mecron » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm

ooooor....you can try to wrap your head around the idea that movement metaphors can only be interpreted so literally when refereing to N'th dimensional space :thumbsup:

User avatar
Shapoid
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Shapoid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 pm

I've noticed that the Zuul can refuel when still in artificial nodespace. Is it because their node-tunnels are engineered to be that way?


Oh, and I was thinking a bit about FTL travel a while ago and I came up with a drive-system concept: A "light-grappler" drive. It turns a ship and it's occupants into "programmed" light that connects with other light for a certain duration, a preset amount of time that will (hopefully) bring you within range of the star, then they transform back into their original forms after organizing themselves the way they were when transformed.

A couple of drawbacks are that a fleet can't turn back, and you can reflect fleets with outrageously large mirrors. :bangdesk:
Mecron wrote:Let us know if you start pointing and screaming "ZUUL INCURSION!!!" everytime you see a small rodent

User avatar
Quester
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:37 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Quester » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Shapoid wrote:Oh, and I was thinking a bit about FTL travel a while ago and I came up with a drive-system concept: A "light-grappler" drive. It turns a ship and it's occupants into "programmed" light that connects with other light for a certain duration, a preset amount of time that will (hopefully) bring you within range of the star, then they transform back into their original forms after organizing themselves the way they were when transformed.

A couple of drawbacks are that a fleet can't turn back, and you can reflect fleets with outrageously large mirrors. :bangdesk:


Have you read Bio of a Space Tyrant?

User avatar
Shapoid
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Shapoid » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Quester wrote:
Shapoid wrote:Oh, and I was thinking a bit about FTL travel a while ago and I came up with a drive-system concept: A "light-grappler" drive. It turns a ship and it's occupants into "programmed" light that connects with other light for a certain duration, a preset amount of time that will (hopefully) bring you within range of the star, then they transform back into their original forms after organizing themselves the way they were when transformed.

A couple of drawbacks are that a fleet can't turn back, and you can reflect fleets with outrageously large mirrors. :bangdesk:


Have you read Bio of a Space Tyrant?


No, I haven't. I've never even heard of it.
Mecron wrote:Let us know if you start pointing and screaming "ZUUL INCURSION!!!" everytime you see a small rodent

User avatar
Quester
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:37 pm

Re: Drive Technologies

Post by Quester » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:08 pm

You should, it's a good series and your FTL idea is very similar to the one proposed in the book.

Post Reply

Return to “The Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests