Industrial Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Mecron
Kerberos

Industrial Technologies

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:27 am

Your place to post observations, questions and comments on Industrial tech and its tree in SoTs.

stopgap

Post by stopgap » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:34 am

actually im curious... how much of a production bonus does this stuff give you?
Veni Vini Vici

Emperor Zog
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Emperor Zog » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:37 am

More than a little, less than a lot.
Hope Rides Alone

"A hero is just a man who knows that he is free." -Last words of Protoman

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:24 am

which stuff? As in ALL the industrial techs?

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:34 am

He means stuff that says "++ Industrial Ouput" I feel kinda confused to

Should I upgrade this tech? Is it a 3% upgrade or a 30% upgrade? A lot of the techs are (understandably) vague about how helpful they're going to be. I know you're going to say "You don't know how much it's going to help.. because it hasn't been invented yet!" but all that does by not giving details is reward the player that has played the game 200 times and has memorized the tech tree. This servers to help the more experienced player and hurt the new guy which is really frustrating when trying to get better at SotS especially in a competetive environment.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:49 am

Another question. Say you to reserach a tech that was "higher up" the tree than another tech that both boosted the same stat.

For example: Shaped nuclear warhead and Gamma Warhead. Once you get gamme there's never a point to research Shaped Nuclear right? Because one tech replaces the other. (You said so in the missle thread)

Now does the same apply for Industrial techs? Like Expert Systems and Cybernetic Interface? (I think those are in a straight line) or do you get a benefit that's additive for getting both?

Ari
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!

Post by Ari » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:55 am

Frederf wrote:Another question. Say you to reserach a tech that was "higher up" the tree than another tech that both boosted the same stat.

For example: Shaped nuclear warhead and Gamma Warhead. Once you get gamme there's never a point to research Shaped Nuclear right? Because one tech replaces the other. (You said so in the missle thread)

Now does the same apply for Industrial techs? Like Expert Systems and Cybernetic Interface? (I think those are in a straight line) or do you get a benefit that's additive for getting both?

I assumed that these benefits were not mutually exclusive unless so implied. It's implied that one warhead is going to be exclusive with another. I don't think it's implied that expert systems and waldo units are mutually exclusive. ;)
"Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by laziness."
2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.

Bossman
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Bossman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:03 pm

Frederf wrote:Should I upgrade this tech? Is it a 3% upgrade or a 30% upgrade? A lot of the techs are (understandably) vague about how helpful they're going to be. I know you're going to say "You don't know how much it's going to help.. because it hasn't been invented yet!" but all that does by not giving details is reward the player that has played the game 200 times and has memorized the tech tree. This servers to help the more experienced player and hurt the new guy which is really frustrating when trying to get better at SotS especially in a competetive environment.

Well, you can assume that the techs are balanced, so that the bonus for Expert Systems isn't much more than the bonus for Cybernetic Interface, and the % bonus you get will be the same as what the other guy gets. And even if it is a 3% bonus, you get some use out of it, as your homeworld has an average 8000 industrial output at the start of the game.

Frederf wrote:For example: Shaped nuclear warhead and Gamma Warhead. Once you get gamme there's never a point to research Shaped Nuclear right? Because one tech replaces the other. (You said so in the missle thread)

Technically, you need shaped to get gamma. Now, if it was you had fusion but not gamma, there's no point in getting gamma.
All offers void where prohibited, but especially in Quebec.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:30 pm

**Repeated question**

TheDeadlyShoe
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by TheDeadlyShoe » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:57 am

IIRC,

you get like 7,000 industrial output off your homeworld, base. WIth both Expert Systems and Cybernetic Interface, you get 10,500.

So yeah, they're big boosts.
These unfortunate people here will be instantly killed. This circle, which I am sad to say we are in, will experience a slower, considerably more painful death.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Arg. One more time. If you have the "higher tech" does it help to subsequently research the "lower tech"?

In the example of Gamma vs Fusion missle warheads you get no benefit from the lower tech.

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:18 pm

I think Waldo Units can be operated side by side with cybernetic interfaces and expert systems, but that's just my thoughts on the matter. :wink: I can tell you that every production tech adds to your production capabilities.
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:42 pm

Frederf wrote:Arg. One more time. If you have the "higher tech" does it help to subsequently research the "lower tech"?

In the example of Gamma vs Fusion missle warheads you get no benefit from the lower tech.

Yes and No. :) As far as I can tell, a tech costs X amount of research points no matter when you decide to research it. So if Orbital Foundries costs 500 RP now, it will cost 500 RP no matter what else you do. But it also looks like most all non-weapon techs are cumulative, so even going back and researching the "lower tech" will help your empire, by adding production, reducing costs or opening up other ways to get technology (ie - Expert Systems can be gotten from Battle Computers or Cybernetic Interface, so if a link from one is missing, you might get a link from the other).
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:57 am

I still don't have the answer to my question.

Fusion Warhead and Gamma Warhead both increase missle damage; both are in a vertical line If you research Fusion Warhead and then Gamma Warhead, you gain no benefit from the second research in the realm of damage output from missles. Yes? Yes.

If you research Expert System and then Cybernetic Interface, both in a line just like the previosu example, both providing an improvment to the same realm of statistic, do you gain anything by researching the outdated technology after the fact? Or do you gain more "Increased Industrial Output" by having both than having just Expert Systems?

I know I'm being a PITA but this is like the 5th time I've asked this question without an actual answer.

Edit: But it also looks like most all non-weapon techs are cumulative, so even going back and researching the "lower tech" will help your empire, by adding production, reducing costs or opening up other ways to get technology Ok this is an answer. Can anyone confirm this?

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:20 am

In my next game I'll test it out.
A good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

Return to “The Tech”