Bio Technology

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
bmac4417

Re: Bio Technology

Post by bmac4417 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:59 am

You've got it right. The enemy can't build and repair ships with no infrastructure. Which makes nanite plague effective at stopping zuul. It's also effective against AI planets.

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:17 pm

It hurts the enemy's economy on the planet. And against AI's its basicly a regular plauge...

Quester

Post by Quester » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:07 pm

It has that use yes, but it is also designed to be used against rebel AI planets so that you don't have to glass a world that you might be able to colonize.

Arkalius

Post by Arkalius » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:11 am

Cheshyr wrote:Even though we have found no decisively strong indicators, that doesn't mean there is no correlation at all either. Fuzzy negative logic works as well as fuzzy positive logic. Usermist and I were just playing with the idea of a connection. In truth, only the developers know the answer and it's not something that is easily determined experimentally.

Considering that the chance of getting a technology isn't tied to the technology itself, but the links between them, I do not see how this could affect salvage chances.
-Arkalius

Check out my SotS2 tech tree java app!
For the SotS prime player, grab the original tech tree java app.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:24 am

Easy. Liir have a much higher chance of getting Medium Emitters than Bursters. Let's say that they fight a battle with an enemy that is using both Emitters and Bursters. Let's also assume that they win the battle, and that they get a successful salvage roll. Will the computer give each tech an equal chance of being selected, or will it "weight" the odds based on the Liir's tech chances? The short answer: we don't know.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Nano Virus mean no infra so U effectively paralize ur enemy. Not in the least a waste but very useful. but there is 1 more virus after the nano virus the smart nanites. Has any1 ever used this what is its advantage? Uncurable? An untimate weapon?
Assumptions and interpretations are the lens through which we view the world, sometimes deluding ourselves that what we see is the truth.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm

Smart nanites makes your nanite missiles not damage your own ships. They will still damage allied and of course enemy ships.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Chthon

Post by Chthon » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I've got a question about Arcologies. The tool tip and wiki say they increase population by 100 million. My friend confirm this works as such for the Morrigi, however I've been playing with the Hivers and I've noticed it increased the population of all my worlds by 200 million. Effectively increasing a size 1 to a size 3, and similar for all the rest. Do the hivers have an undocumented bonus to this tech?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:14 pm

I know it will increase imperial pop by 100M and civilian pop by 100M (with some funny interactions if you have more than one type of civilian pop available.) I haven't heard of any special Hiver bonus and don't recall seeing any such, but it's been a while since I played Hivers who got Arcologies.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Chthon

Post by Chthon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:20 am

Just an update, it seems to increase imperial population by 100 million x infrastructure%, and civilian population by 200 million period. Not a flat 200 million to both as I thought before. This means that imperial population increases by 200 million only if infrastructure is 200. Not sure how to increase infrastructure past 100 consistantly as I've only seen it happen inconsistantly at time.

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Chthon wrote:Just an update, it seems to increase imperial population by 100 million x infrastructure%, and civilian population by 200 million period. Not a flat 200 million to both as I thought before. This means that imperial population increases by 200 million only if infrastructure is 200. Not sure how to increase infrastructure past 100 consistantly as I've only seen it happen inconsistantly at time.

After reaching 100, if left in peace a planet's infrastructure will gradually increase beyond 100 over time. This happens automatically.

Chthon

Post by Chthon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:25 pm

That I did not know. That clears up one mystery. Now why does arcology construction increase civilian pop by 200 million instead of 100 million?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Civilians live much more densly on average.

PvtNutter

Nanovirus and zero infrastructure

Post by PvtNutter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:06 am

Didn't want to start a thread - this seems a good place to ask... Playing 1.8.0 - Gathering (morri) scenario -

Never actually used nanovirus before now, but I figured nano would be a brilliant way to easily acquire systems with high alien pops still in place. Works like a charm. For example, 2 rounds of combat dumping nano on the hiver homeworld and killing only defenders with no bombardment quickly left them at 0 infrastructure with 1.5 Billion hivers still kickin, some of which was of course Imperial pop... But the colony wouldn't die. I had to force them to surrender.

It's not a big issue as I've been able to duplicate the same action half a dozen or so times - nano them to 0 then ask for surrender. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong. I always assumed if you got a colony to 0 inf. it would be dead. Is the only criteria to kill a colony reducing imperials to 0? Could be I've just never realized because under normal bombardment/plague attacks, you're killing imps as fast or faster than infrastructure. May only be apparent in a situation like this where i've deliberately removed only the infrastructure.

Anyone else deliberately used nanovirus in this way?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:15 am

Zero infra has nothing really to do with colony survival. Just their ability to build ships and sats. And yes, Imperial pop is the "Deciding" factor on colony viability. If it goes zero while there is still civilian pop, the colony will go independant as soon as it is left alone.

Return to “The Tech”