Bio Technology

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Quester

Post by Quester » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:14 pm

I found out the same thing after I saved the game just to see what would happen.

Cheshyr

Re: Bio Technology

Post by Cheshyr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 am

Looking at the tech tree posted in another thread, it appears Zuul will never get any of the plague techs. This makes sense, since they're immune (I believe). However, is it possible to scavenge this tech? It's a given that someone else will always have it first, but if it's scavengeable, that'd make for interesting target priorities later in the game.

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:24 am

IIRC the idea of sickness was completly alien to Zuul prior to meeting the other races. Seems like they just can't wrap their minds around the idea that plague attack could be effective.

On the other hand Zuul ARE the plague. Each time your assault shuttles, scavenger disks or wraiths make an attack run there's a chance to trigger a Zuul Infestation on that planet.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:51 am

AFAIK, you cannot scavenge any tech that you have a 0% chance of getting. The game doesn't even have Zuul plague sections or Liir PF sections, for example. It almost makes you wonder if the chances of getting a particular tech from scavenging is based on your species chance of getting it in the first place, now doesn't it?

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

ignus

Post by ignus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:14 pm

usermist2 wrote:It almost makes you wonder if the chances of getting a particular tech from scavenging is based on your species chance of getting it in the first place, now doesn't it?

No. Zuul is clearly proof that it isn't so.

Cheshyr

Post by Cheshyr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:42 pm

I don't see why Zuul would disprove this, especially if they can't salvage techs they have a zero racial probability of having in their tech tree.

Hypothetically (pseudocode):

Code: Select all

1: roll for scavenge
2: if success
3:   for (exist in wreckage)
4:     if player has prereq techs
5:       if racial weighted probability > 0
6:         add tech id to list (racial weighted probability) times
7:   end for
8:   random(1 .. length(list))
9: return techid

Unless I'm missing something and Zuul can somehow scavenge tech they can't otherwise ever have in their tech tree. Even then, just remove line 5. I have no basis for any of this, however.

ignus

Post by ignus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:52 am

It's correct that no race can salvage techs that they have zero probability to get. If the rest was true though, zuul would be the worst at salvaging. That they aren't, they are clearly the best or at least one of the best.

Quester

Post by Quester » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:52 am

Has any one tried mixing 2 or more differant plagues when attacking a planet? If so does it seem to work better or worse?

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 am

That depends, do they have the vaccine to one of the plagues?

I don't think you get any kind of bonus, and infecting a world with multiple plagues makes it really hard to tell if they have the vaccine for any one of those plagues.

Still, if you have the bio-war ships, there is no reason not to spread another strain of the flu. Those bio-weapons are expensive, and they only become worthless if your opponents develop that cure.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:53 am

I think the point there was that if there's a success in the salvage roll, then the actual tech selected is based on the salvaging species tech preferences. For example, if for some reason a Lirr didn't get their Medium Emitter, they'ld be much more likely to get a "secondhand" version than a Heavy Driver.

Of course, this is assuming that the game does do such a thing. For all we know, it's purely random.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:51 am

Just because theres a species wide bonus to salvage rolls, doesn't mean the normal chance of rolling a tech for a species isn't relevant to the roll.

ignus

Post by ignus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 pm

I agree. Also:

Just because 0% means no salvage, doesn't mean the normal chance of rolling a tech for a species is relevant to the salvage roll.

Cheshyr

Post by Cheshyr » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Even though we have found no decisively strong indicators, that doesn't mean there is no correlation at all either. Fuzzy negative logic works as well as fuzzy positive logic. Usermist and I were just playing with the idea of a connection. In truth, only the developers know the answer and it's not something that is easily determined experimentally.

That said, we're significantly off topic and I'm to blame. Sorry. Let's wander back towards bio talk now. And thanks for the heads up about Zuul and Plague.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:17 am

Note that Zuul are not immune to Nano Plague, and apparently can never get Counter-Nanites.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:50 am

I never got the big pic with Nano Virus against organics. I kills off the infrastructure. So? The enemy can't build and repair ships or something? What am I missing?
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

Return to “The Tech”