Power Generation Technology

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
ZBlob

Power Generation Technology

Post by ZBlob » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:21 pm

Will there be ion drives in Sots 2?

fibio

Post by fibio » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Technically we've already got them in the form of ionic thrusters but right now their actual effectivness as a real engine is under question, still its the future so maybe.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:25 am

The ion drives we can build now wouldn't accellerate fast enough to give any noticeable movement in a 10 minute combat turn. Of course, SOTS being in the future and all, things could be much different.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Raziel Star

Re: Power Generation Technology

Post by Raziel Star » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:39 pm

So AM seems like the most efficient form of power possible. What power sources do you think will top AM in SotS 2? I"m leaning toward some sort of miniature black hole drive.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:55 pm

how exactly would that surpass the annihilation of matter directly into energy? Other than, I guess, be a REALLY deep Bag of Holding. :wink:

fibio

Post by fibio » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 am

Using dark matter obviously :wink:
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:32 pm

I don't think we will see a better power source than AM in SotS][, I think we will get efficience refinements of the systems that draw from that power source. Like the beam and shield booster techs we have now.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

BeefotronX

Post by BeefotronX » Thu May 27, 2010 3:06 am

AM is as far as we know the most effective theoretical way to power a starship.

In terms of going up from there, a few thoughts:
  • Higher density antimatter. Obviously the first stage would be anti-hydrogen, but heavier antimatter elements might be useful.
  • Antimatter's usefulness is that of powering a starship with the ultimate in mass to energy efficiency, but it seems implausible that it could ever be an infrastructural energy source. That is to say, I imagine that antimatter is manufactured in facilities ultimately powered by fusion and fission. If there is something theoretically better than fusion as an infrastructural energy source, that might be something worth a spot in the tech tree.
  • Of course, just because AM is the ultimate in mass to energy conversion doesn't mean that endgame SOTS1 tech should be presumed to also have the ultimate propulsion system to go with it.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Thu May 27, 2010 9:23 am

BeefotronX wrote:[*] Of course, just because AM is the ultimate in mass to energy conversion doesn't mean that endgame SOTS1 tech should be presumed to also have the ultimate propulsion system to go with it. [/list]

Agree, a lot. Especially since our highest useful level of energy nowadays is fission atomic power, meaning the same one ships in SotS use, but we use it to power STEAM ENGINES (generators). So much for high tech.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Space Voyager wrote:Agree, a lot. Especially since our highest useful level of energy nowadays is fission atomic power, meaning the same one ships in SotS use, but we use it to power STEAM ENGINES (generators). So much for high tech.

Well, we have a lot of experience with steam engines and know how to make them relatively efficient. It's not primitive just because the concept is old. :D
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri May 28, 2010 7:21 am

Coyote27 wrote:It's not primitive just because the concept is old. :D

:roll: Yes, it is.

Ok ok, you are right but it still seems like we should have a more direct conversion. Radioactive material holds a lot more energy than the heat it produces. And NO, do not ask me what I am talking about. :wink:

What is REALLY bothering me is that we are on the verge of using fusion. Again, for steam engines. :roll: All we are doing is replacing wood and we went through coal to stars to have the same engine. But ok, one of the biggest breakthroughs may be in using it for electricity.

My "great vision" is a household fusion reactor, internally clad with ultra-high efficient "solar" panels that will soak up practically all EM waves, producing electricity. The little extra energy, probably heat, will be used for heating the house. Basically steam production. :mrgreen: OH, BTW, it will have NO radioactive waste, NATURALLY. :thumbsup: So whatdya say, want one?!

No no no, don't be greedy with dreams of AM!
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri May 28, 2010 8:53 am

Space Voyager wrote:What is REALLY bothering me is that we are on the verge of using fusion. Again, for steam engines. :roll: All we are doing is replacing wood and we went through coal to stars to have the same engine. But ok, one of the biggest breakthroughs may be in using it for electricity

Meh. If it was too good for the romans it's good enough for us.
Besides. Comparing an old 19th century steam engine with a modern steam turbine... Well, it's like comparing a matchlock arquebus with a phalanx turret (or modern 155mm artillery piece where we can literally place a round within 1 meter at a distance of 60km).
Both involve the basic idea of using chemical force to propel a physical projectile through a metal pipe...but that's basically it.
Of course if you view it as "we should have been using plasma guns by now!" you could consider it primitive. I consider it "refined use of a proven method".
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:06 pm

We should have been using plasma guns by now! :P

Drasius

Post by Drasius » Sun May 30, 2010 12:10 pm

fiendishrabbit wrote:[If it was too good for the romans it's good enough for us.

What have the Romans ever done for us?

C. Torannan

Post by C. Torannan » Mon May 31, 2010 4:37 am

Mecron wrote:how exactly would that surpass the annihilation of matter directly into energy? Other than, I guess, be a REALLY deep Bag of Holding. :wink:

Quantum Dickery usually works. Seriously though, I'm really wondering what sort of new higher tier power tech there might be in the sequal Maybe something that pulls energy directly from the fabric of space-time?
I'm not Evil, I'm just Chaotic/Neutral.

Return to “The Tech”