Power Generation Technology

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Power Generation Technology

Post by Mecron » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:35 pm

For me, a post that starts with "In star trek..." dissolves into that thing where the peanuts kids are listening to adults :wink:

fibio

Post by fibio » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 pm

In Star Trek I'd like to give you a million dollars.

No? Okay then :wink:
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Hah!! there are no dollars in trek now!! Your attempt at drama has failed!!! Crushed under the weight of TNG era blandness!!! :lol:

rc23

Post by rc23 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 am

Yep in the TNG after the collapse of the Federation Federal Bank the alpha quadrant moved away from the dollar to the gold pressed-latinum standard.
-RC23

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Mecron wrote:For me, a post that starts with "In star trek..." dissolves into that thing where the peanuts kids are listening to adults :wink:

lol! I just got an image in my head of Picard standing on the bridge going: "Wha, Wha wha Whaa wha wha..."

:bangdesk:

C. Torannan

Post by C. Torannan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:44 am

I kinda like the idea of using something like Stargate SG-1's ZPMs, essentially an obscenely powerful battery that will eventually run out if you use it too much but can be, however slowly, recharged if you have the tech for it. I want to call them "Quantum Capacitors" but that's already a tech...
I'm not Evil, I'm just Chaotic/Neutral.

Irgling

Post by Irgling » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:35 pm

The ZPM, for those of you who don't watch stargate, is a device that uses zero point energy as a power supply.

I've done some thinking on the subject for an rpg. The way I see it, the ZPM is just a fancy battery. It's a pocket dimension filled with enemy that was gathered from the ambient background level of energy that exist in a vacuum. The analogy I worked out to explain it is this.

Imagine space is a sheet of flat plastic laid out on a kitchen floor. Energy is water. You dump water on the plastic and it spreads out to form an even sheet of water. Water can be used to run a water wheel but it's useless as this thin sheet of water cause it's got no kinetic potential. It's potential is zero, therefor zero point energy.

The ancients of stargate had some sort of way of picking up the corners of the plastic and lifting it till all the water sloshed to the center and then tied it off making a bag, that's a ZPM. Now you can put a spigot on the side and run a waterwheel off of it.

You'll note that energy has to be applied to make the zero point energy useful. It'd be no different from manufacturing anti-matter to fuel a spaceship, you have to put more energy into it than you get out of it. The real reason for why AM is better than fusion is that it's got higher energy density which saves you space on your ships which is what's at a premium.

So yes, there could theoretically be something better than AM but I don't think that the SotS or SotS2 universe is suppose to go into funkier technology that could do things like pinching off a section of space time to use it to store energy. I would think it be more likely that there would just be further increases in the efficiency of extracting power from AM or in it's production.

fibio

Post by fibio » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Well they have gravity manipulation at the high end anti-matter but no, I don't see it fitting in this installment. Maybe for the beyond perfect SotS 3 :wink:
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Does anyone know if the devs have stated definitively that there will/will not be something beyond antimatter in the fission/fusion/antimatter power tree in SOTS ][?

I've been wondering about it when I found the posts above and this seemed the place to ask. I'm pretty sure that the only plausible physical effect better than matter/antimatter annhiliation that I was familiar with was trying to somehow pull power from Casimir effect phenomenon (related to SG's ZPM). I did some tinkering with a device to measure Casimir forces in college (15 years ago now) and have seen a couple of papers on the physics of extracting useful work from vacuum ever since...was thinking it'd be cool to see it in SOTS ][...

v/r
feld

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 pm

The devs have said no new power sources after AM, but there will be better ways to use AM power that can be researched after getting AM.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:38 am

I wonder if there will be another era though - some technology that is fabulously expensive but unlocks many others?

Or will SotS II move away from the era technology system to having technological development less related to key breakthroughs.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:03 am

Huh.. is this a spam bot? It's actually on topic!

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:28 am

Not a bot, just a commercials spammer, whatever they are called.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Sons of Skaro

Post by Sons of Skaro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:54 am

According to the game back-story, all Hiver ships possess a small gate to enable instant communication. Could this "mini-gate" technology be improved upon to equip certain ships with a constant but remote power supply, thus enabling the construction of sleeker ships? :idea:
EXTERMINATE!

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:10 am

Eh what makes you think they don't already do this?

Return to “The Tech”